Wireless Router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac | iPod nano | iPhone 4
Ok here I am a year later, I was going to buy an iMac last year at this time but health issues came up and had to put my plans on hold but now all is better. I am going to buy my first Mac this weekend at the Apple store in Charlotte, NC. Ok here is my question my wife is still using a PC and I will be using the Mac and my son has a laptop pc of course all are wireless capable. I am looking at the Netgear N600 dual band router we do not have a wireless network in our apartment as of now, so with that being said will the router work together with the Mac and PC without problems. I am new to the wireless scene guys so I need all the help I can get!:Confused: Is this a good router or should I look at something else? A friend of mine that I work with has Mac and PC and says he does'nt have an trouble doing this.
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum.

Yes the router will work equally well for both your Mac and PC. That assumes of course that you set everything up correctly.

Reaction score
Routers are platform agnostic. That is, they don't care what kind of computer they are working with. However, that doesn't mean that all routers are on equal footing, especially when it comes to the Macintosh.

Any router you purchase will be a tradeoff between being easy to setup and configure, being well supported (especially with regard to the Macintosh), and price. There are four very popular brands. Apple, Netgear, D-Link and Linksys.

Apple routers are the easiest to setup and use with your Macintosh, have excellent support, and tend to be the most expensive.

Netgear routers are fairly easy to setup and configure, and can be found dirt cheap, but they have been known to have terrible support (this can really vary, though).

D-Link's are mildly difficult to setup and configure, have decent support, and middling prices. (Full disclosure: I recently purchased a D-Link, which replaced a Netgear. After my last interaction with Netgear's tech support, I threw my D-Link in the trash and vowed never to purchase one of their products again.)

Linksys has excellent routers that tend to be expensive and which for many Mac users are almost impossible to figure out how to setup and for which there is little or no Mac support. (Note that the Macintosh isn't even mentioned as a supported platform on many Linksys boxes.)

(These are all gross generalizations, with exceptions, of course. But you can use them as a rough guide. How technically minded *you* are will color your perception of all of these brands. Please let us know what brand you go for and what your experience with it is like.)

You have to choose where you are willing to make the tradeoffs.

A sidenote: Fry's brick and mortar stores often have fantastic deals on Netgear routers that are refurbished but like new. Often they are in a semi-plain brown box over in a corner. I don't see any refurbished Netgear products on Fry's Web site. Refurbished Netgear stuff can only be found now and then on Amazon.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Reaction score
Problem

I have an iPad and I want to connect to my iMac and connect an controller app for logic pro but I can't connect my iPad to the iMac by wifi could any one help me please sorry my inglish

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have used iConnect, Netgear, Netcomm and Linskys modem/router all in ones and Linskys is the go for me. Only one to connect at same speed both by ethernet cable and wireless.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.