What's a good partition size for Windows 7 install using Bootcamp

Reaction score
I just purchased a Macbook pro 15" and I'm installing Windows 7 through bootcamp. I previously installed XP on my iMac and allotted 32 gigs and have 14 gigs remaining. I'm not intending to run many programs, one of them being quicken.But would like enough, that I wouldn't run out of space too soon. I have a 500g 7200 hard drive on the Macbook pro and I am a graphic designer so I use lots of big programs like Adobe CS5 and large files on the Mac partition. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I would suggest 100GB. You want ample free space for performance sake. And you don't want to go through the trouble of possibly needing to change the partition size later down the road.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 2.8 Ghz, 4G ram, 500Gb 7200 rpm. Snow Leapord, Win 7 Ult.
I have the same hard drive space and have Win 7 as well. Honostly, I only allocated 50 gig to Windows. I only use it for MS Access and my Gov email account. No need to waist space to Windows if you will rarely use it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have the same hard drive space and have Win 7 as well. Honostly, I only allocated 50 gig to Windows. I only use it for MS Access and my Gov email account. No need to waist space to Windows if you will rarely use it.

If you're doing stuff like that, I highly recommend you look into running Windows via VirtualBox (free) rather than Boot Camp. Benefits:

1. You can have a tiny little virtual hard disk file that will only grow as you need space (i.e. you don't have any drama should you need to either reclaim or allocate more space to Windows).
2. You can run Windows simultaneously with OS X
3. You can "sleep" the virtual machine when you're done, just by closing the window, and then almost instantly "wake" the machine whenever you need it.
4. Performance is virtually the same as running natively in apps that don't require heavy 3D acceleration (like games).

Now, VirtualBox is not the most polished product in the world, but it does work - other options include VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop. In any case, it's a whole lot less heartache to use virtualization.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro, 2.3 Ghz i7, 500GB 7200 RPM, 8GB ram, Radeon 6750 1GB, OS X 10.6.6
I gave windows a 130 GB partition...after windows 7 was fully installed i had a little more than 80GB left for apps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.