Need to change my Text tone .....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i7 OSX 10.6.6 4GB/iPhone
Iphone4 ... several other people in the office have the same Iphone and text tones ...so we all look at our phones when a text comes in ... meetings ect..
...I downloaded professional tones ..with the idea I know it my text
..is there a way to change ..my text tones ..on the Iphone ...they have it for the ringtone...why not text tone ..feedback please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Settings>General>Sounds>Text Tone.
That's the list of provided text tones. I don't know if any you downloaded would be there. Might want to check with wherever you downloaded them from if they don't show up in the menu path I provided.

OP
4Intensity
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the quick input...I have checked there ..but it just gives me the basics and some new iphone tones...everyone else has ...
Everyone changes ..there tones trying to focus in on their own text sound..in the office ..but there are only a chosen few tones..in the text area ...there should be a place in the IPhone for personnel text tones ...Sounds like a good idea to me ...after all it is a Mac ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
..but there are only a chosen few tones..in the text area ...there should be a place in the IPhone for personnel text tones ...Sounds like a good idea to me ...after all it is a Mac ....

That does sound like a good idea to create your own text tones.
23 optional text tones isn't enough to differentiate from your fellow employees? Sorry to hear that.

OP
4Intensity
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the office ...in public ...just dont want to keep reaching ..for my phone..if I hear a tone I read about a professional tones site ..in this forum ..www.iringpro.com...great site ..for ring tones ...the tones are so different..I use it for my ringtone ..

it might have been you who suggested the site NYmacROX...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You can not add custom text tones to iOS at this point. It's the one thing I wish Apple would add, although I understand why it is not there.

Oddly, I don't think you can even do if you JB your phone.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You can not add custom text tones to iOS at this point. It's the one thing I wish Apple would add, although I understand why it is not there.

Oddly, I don't think you can even do if you JB your phone.

You can but you have to replace the tones with the same default names. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
4Intensity
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why would it be ...a problem..to have personnel text tones..Is it that much of a problem for Apple to do ..Is it worth it for me to ..JB...my phone to get personnel text tones...
A lot more people ...text more than they talk ..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why would it be ...a problem..to have personnel text tones..Is it that much of a problem for Apple to do ..Is it worth it for me to ..JB...my phone to get personnel text tones...
A lot more people ...text more than they talk ..

Lets not forget that iOS is an offshoot of OSX itself. Customizing system tones and sounds on OSX is doable, but far more difficult than it should be. Unlike ring tones, the text tones, much like systems sounds in OSX, are in the core of the OS. They also have to be in a specific format (for OSX it's AIFF). Giving the user easy access to the core seems to me to be the issue (IMO). Changing it would probably require some sort rework in the core of the OS itself. I'm hoping that 10.7 and iOS 5 (or 6) address this.

Reaction score
Could you not just put your phone in a shirt or pants pocket so that you will also feel it vibrate? You might hear your same text tone, but you're not going to feel your co-worker's phone vibrate.

OP
4Intensity
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacLicious
Could you not just put your phone in a shirt or pants pocket so that you will also feel it vibrate?

True....but I can't just carry my Iphone in my pant pocket all day.. I guess nothing is easy..the tech age has come so far,just have to wait ...it going to happen..sooner than later...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.