PDA

View Full Version : Desert Island Discs with a Twist

robduckyworth
03-09-2011, 09:04 PM
You have become stranded on a desert island.

Fortunately, you have your mac with you. Unfortunately, some wild monkeys have managed to get hold of your original OSX discs, and wiped your drive and reinstalled Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard. They broke the iLife disc and there is no internet. ;)

you see all your personal belongings sinking into the sea. you have only enough time to grab 5 items: 1 Movie or TV show boxset, 1 Audio CD, 1 book, 1 Game and 1 Application.

what would you grab first?

Mine would have to be:

1. Tears of the Sun
2. Coheed & Cambria: Good Apollo IV
3. The Girl With the Dragon tattoo
4. Sim City 4
5. Logic

harryb2448
03-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Ahh well Rob personally I keep well away from desert islands and monkeys, wild, tame or the homo sapiens variety!

robduckyworth
03-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Ahh well Rob personally I keep well away from desert islands and monkeys, wild, tame or the homo sapiens variety!

haha ;) i dont think any of us would like to be in that situation. but it would be funny if it did happen!

Doug b
03-09-2011, 10:41 PM
TV show box set: LOST (very fitting really)

Audio CD : One of the best mixes I've made from a very varied playlist of course !

Book: Pelican's (publisher) Greatest masterpieces. A culmination if you will.

Application: Locate my Mac ? :) Hopefully someone will find me before I croak from eating too many coconuts.

Game: Chess. Maybe I'll finally get good enough and be able to call myself a master.

Doug

robduckyworth
03-09-2011, 10:53 PM
ah i didnt think about lost, that would be awesome. imagine lying on the beach, when all of a sudden the wind blows.... its the smoke monster.... and then that creepy noise it makes.

Kevriano
03-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Hmm, this is tough, but here goes.

1: Six Feet Under Boxset (I couldn't pick one film, impossible)
2: MSG - Live At The Budokan (played it to death, still love it)
3: The Catcher In The Rye (so I might eventually make sense of it)
4: Legend Of Zelda - A Link To The Past (that was easy to pick)
5: Handbrake (just because it's still brilliant)

robduckyworth
03-10-2011, 09:45 AM
5: Handbrake (just because it's still brilliant)

thing is Kev, you only have one boxset to encode! ;)

Kevriano
03-10-2011, 10:25 AM
True, but what a box set, and I could encode it in about 10 different formats, so plenty to keep me occupied!

the8thark
03-10-2011, 08:35 PM
1. probably "Mary And Max"
2. In Blue - The Corrs (Simply to have a female voice to listen to, as my own voice would get rather boring rather fast. And so I don't forget what a female human is.)
3. The Bible (On my own on this island is the best time to make peace with God)
4. Master Of Orion 2
5. iwork. (can't have Garageband from ilife and with iwork I can document my every day in this island. And turn it into a best selling book when I eventually get off the island).

robduckyworth
03-10-2011, 08:39 PM
4. Master Of Orion 2

interesting choices 8thark! i was wondering though, what is this game?

the8thark
03-10-2011, 08:49 PM
interesting choices 8thark! i was wondering though, what is this game?
This game is kind of Civilisation in space but way better. Released in 1996 for Mac. It's a turn based conquer the galaxy game. But a really good one.

Master of Orion 1 is like Master of Orion 3. Both are terrible in my opinion. But the 2nd game vastly different and vastly better. That's why I chose it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Orion_II:_Battle_at_Antares

RavingMac
03-10-2011, 09:51 PM
I would have go with "Escape from Monkey Island" for the APP since it seems the most appropriate to the situation. And I would agree with the8thark on the Bible. TV Boxed Set: have to go with Gilligan's Island.

the8thark
03-11-2011, 06:02 AM
I would have go with "Escape from Monkey Island" for the APP since it seems the most appropriate to the situation. And I would agree with the8thark on the Bible. TV Boxed Set: have to go with Gilligan's Island.
Escape From Monkey Island and Gilligan's Island? So staring at the coconuts all day is not enough? You have to watch them on the screen too?

RavingMac
03-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Escape From Monkey Island and Gilligan's Island? So staring at the coconuts all day is not enough? You have to watch them on the screen too?

I figure to have gotten myself into this situation in the first place I would have to been crazy, so I might as well go all the way. ;)

robduckyworth
03-11-2011, 09:53 AM
you could always bring a volleyball along to keep yourself busy ;)

http://mcneillfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/castaway-wilson-ball-logo.jpg

RavingMac
03-11-2011, 10:00 AM
you could always bring a volleyball along to keep yourself busy ;)

http://mcneillfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/castaway-wilson-ball-logo.jpg

Do monkeys play volleyball? Or would you be playing both sides of the net yourself? :|

robduckyworth
03-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Do monkeys play volleyball? Or would you be playing both sides of the net yourself? :|

who knows. if they can work a computer, they must be able to play volleyball!

if not you can always shout "wilson!" at the top of your voice to stay entertained.

MYmacROX
03-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Movie: Hackers (good movie and a brief shot of Angelina Jolie's umm, eyes) ;D
CD: Double disc David Bowie's Singles (if I have to choose one of them, disc 1)
Book: 1 million ways to cook monkeys and coconuts
Game: Billiards (full-size pool table, balls, and a cue)
App: iMovie so I could make movies for my family/friends i.e. my own video-eulogy and some special messages to loved ones

the8thark
03-11-2011, 01:40 PM
App: iMovie so I could make movies for my family/friends i.e. my own video-eulogy and some special messages to loved ones
iMovie is not allowed cause your iLife discs were destroyed.
I had to choose something other then Garageband for the same reason.

robduckyworth
03-11-2011, 02:48 PM
he could have final cut though!

MYmacROX
03-11-2011, 03:17 PM
iMovie is not allowed cause your iLife discs were destroyed.
I had to choose something other then Garageband for the same reason.

Couldn't I purchase it through the Mac App Store as a stand alone app?

robduckyworth
03-11-2011, 03:22 PM
theres no internet! :P

RavingMac
03-11-2011, 03:30 PM
theres no internet! :P

Fortunately though, you had your iPhone 4 in your pocket, and after signing up for a tethering plan you are now able to access the Mac APP store . . . ;)

robduckyworth
03-11-2011, 07:54 PM
who said you had your iphone? ;)