Which software to get?

Reaction score
OK, I'm a beginner in music production, and im looking to see which software is best to get. I've been looking at and been suggested to get one of these: Pro Tools 9 / Reason 4 (havent read about the most recent one) / Cubase 4 / Cubase 6.

The thing is as a beginner ive got no idea if these programmes all do the same thing or if their tailored for different aspects. I'm looking for a software where i predominantly make music using the virtual instruments, but also have an option to add in vocals + guitar. I'm not looking to spend too much, but if its the case of regretting not spending more in the long run, ive got a maximum budget of 400-500quid. But ideally id prefer to spend around 300.

I'd appreciate any of your thoughts!

Cheers :)

C

chas_m

I suggest starting off with the absolutely free and really quite nifty Garageband that's already on your Mac. Comes with a decent loop library, you can buy more from either Apple or third parties very inexpensively, you can plug in a guitar (I recommend AmpliTube, again not too expensive and quite impressive) and vocals (I use the Blue Snowball but there are lots of options -- even an XLR to USB adapter if you already have a mic you prefer).

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Reason is not a fully fledged DAW. it has some great instruments but its more MIDI based. you could get reason/record bundle, i think this brings alot of extra functionality, but i havent used it.

i use Pro Tools mainly, and i find it to be the best for audio production work. MIDI capabilities with PT are average, its got nothing on Logic due to the plug-in architecture Pro Tools uses: theres far less bundled synths. third party synths that work with pro tools are expensive. bear in mind only pro tools 9 can use third party interfaces, any earlier version you need to have Digidesign/Avid hardware to be able to use it.

Logic/Cubase is kind of like the best of both worlds: Native support for interfaces, good MIDI and Audio (although not up to the standard of Pro Tools) decent amount of plug ins (AU/VST plug ins are easily come by.) the only problem with Logic for me is the metering: sounds come in far too hot by default.

have a look on soundonsound.com for some decent reviews on these DAWs. they did Pro Tools 9 and Reason 5 ones recently.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. From your opinions and research ive done, im thinking between cubase 4 or 6 and Pro Tools 9. I'd appreciate any info about disadvantages / advantages between the 2??

Cheers.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have only used pro tools. from what i can gather, drum n bass users like cubase quite a bit (pendulum and matrix and futurebound to name a few) prefer cubase, so im thinking cubase for more midi options. as i said there are more plugins compatible with cubase too.

if you are doing acoustic recordings, pro tools is the way to go.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I have Logic 9 Pro and Ableton Live Lite 8 and I prefer Live as my main DAW.
Logic is nice but very complicated while Ableton Live is perfect for me as a DAW and as an incorporated DJ mixing software.
Live is extremely user friendly.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
many times I have tried to use live and its workflow is completely Alien to me. I wish i could use it: it seems like the best way to get creative, working in a non linear environment.

Logic or Pro Tools will be the best for polishing off your mixes for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I have Logic 9 Pro and Ableton Live Lite 8 and I prefer Live as my main DAW.
Logic is nice but very complicated while Ableton Live is perfect for me as a DAW and as an incorporated DJ mixing software.
Live is extremely user friendly.

I use Ableton Live Lite 8 as well. It's very user-friendly and simple to learn (also has built-in tutorials). It's almost got a Star Trek "TNG" feel to it (I prefer the "tobacco" skin color).

Plus, there's a jubilee of awesome hardware controllers that are compatible with it, allowing tonnes of different connectivity options and easy expansion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.25Ghz G4 1gb RAM, Mac Pro G5 Dual 1.8GHz 4GB RAM, MacBook Air 1.6 GHz Core2 Duo 2GB RAM
ableton live for the greatest out of the box flexibility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.