Airport Extreme General Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been having a large amount of trouble trying to get my Airport Extreme working. To those who are inexperienced in this area, I would suggest you stop reading now, because so far I've gotten useless advice.

History:

I'm using Mac OSX (Snow Leopard) as well as an Airport Extreme Base Station. It had been working for about a half a year, and one day I woke up and it wasn't working, meaning it just couldn't connect, and timed out. There is a modem in the house, with the family network "Cerberus". My goal, which had been working before, was to have a personal network of my own. I am not connecting my Airport Extreme directly to my modem, but I am using a DeVolo blue chord that 'simulates' the modem (the DeVolo plug is somehow connected to the modem). I am sure that it is connected to the WAN port, not the LAN port. Like I said, it had been working for a while, and to be honest I kind of just played around with it until it worked. Not much practicality there.

I think what I want to do is (a) use a bridge connection and (b) use DHCP. I've pretty much done everything in Airport Utility related to those.

The Problem:

The various behaviour of my network varies. Either it doesn't see the network itself (less common), it connects but with an exclamation mark on the airport sign at the top of the screen (meaning it's not REALLY connected), it instantly fails to open a web page, it connects, but it is stuck loading one web page with no progress being made. If it is relevant (it might just be the dog-crap software that is Airport Utility), whenever I try to update the device with new settings, it says that it's updating and that I should wait for it to restart, but it frequently…well 'freezes'. Not freezes meaning crashes, but just doesn't really do anything, just sits there. Frequently it comes up with a message right after saying that there was an 'error' and that I should 'reopen the application'. Very helpful. -_-

For the last problem, I have run a ping test (in terminal), and although most of the packets timed out, there are a few that return with incredibly high pings, meaning that there might be a hint of a 'pulse' in the network when that occurs.

Now, when I look at the Airport Utility, it tells me that I 'Don't have a Valid IP Address'. I honestly don't understand that page where it contains all of the connection details such as IPvP4 (whatever that is) and the DHCP details. I'm pretty sure that what I'm doing wrong is just filling in those details incorrectly (even though I thought with DHCP, most of the details were worked out by default). In my router, there is a section 'ADSL Port' with the details of my wireless connecting under it (MAC Address, IP Address, Gateway IP, Network type, IP Subnet Mask, Domain Name Server). However, under that is a section with the details of which I'm more familiar, which is the 'LAN Port' section. It contains another version of the Subnet Mask, a slightly varied MAC address (the letter at the end is different), and the Router address, which is the classic 192.168.0.1. What I'm unsure of is what to fill in inside of the Airport Utility network settings part, the LAN Port details, or the ADSL Port details? If that's completely irrelevant and I have a separate problem, then ignore that, but I really could use some advice on how to fix this.

I have tried:

-Resetting from my computer (multiple times)
-Resetting directly from the device itself (multiple times)
-Restarting modem (multiple times)
-Restarting device (multiple times)
-Unplugging, and replugging the various chords (multiple times)

So unless you're sure that I have done any of the above incorrectly, please avoid suggesting it. Again, if this is a 'TLDR' moment, then don't try to answer, unless you really know what you're talking about.

Thanks,

From Jake

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum.

Maybe you'll have better luck here and perhaps "toning down" your attitude will also help. Folks who post in these peer to peer forums are volunteers not paid Apple advisors. So keep that in mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Actually I'm locking this. If the OP really wants help, he can repost this and be a little more polite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.