so i bought my first Macbook Pro...

Reaction score
and i also bought a pair of KRK Rokit 5's to go with it.. now the guy at Best Buy told me they come with the cables to install them to my new Mac.. but i come home, open the box and see that they don't :-/ i don't mind going back to best buy to get the proper cables but **** lol

what do i need exactly to connect these babies to my Mac? keep in mind i am pretty much a noob so i would like the most simple (and hopefully not too expensive) solution. thanks guys!:D

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
OP
B
Reaction score
as long as they are TRS inputs a couple of balanced 1/4" jack cables into an interface's monitor outputs, or a stereo minijack (1/8") to dual balanced mono 1/4" TRS jacks.

Horizon YN1-P-10 stereo minijack to 2 male mono jacks on eBay (end time 28-Mar-11 15:02:07 BST)

something like this if you have no interface. make sure you get balanced: this prevents any mains hum as they have a dedicated screen.

so i would buy one of these for each speaker and then how do i connect them both to my macbook? i wasn't kidding when i said i am completeeee noob lol but i appreciate your help so far

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
each speaker has one separate input. so you would need a Left and a Right cable.

if you have an interface (like an Mbox or a Focusrite saffire Pro) as your main soundcard, you would use two 1/4" balanced jack cables coming out of the monitor outputs of the interface into your KRKs.

if you are using the built in Macbook pro soundcard, you are coming out of a stereo source, so you need one minijack to dual 1/4" (one for left, one for right) that go into the KRKs. look at the picture in the link. thats what you need if using the built in soundcard.

having a balanced connection will significantly reduce mains hum. hum is usually found in cheaper cables. youve just spent £500 on the monitors, so spend a little bit more for the main connection to them to ensure a good quality build and connection.

OP
B
Reaction score
each speaker has one separate input. so you would need a Left and a Right cable.

if you have an interface (like an Mbox or a Focusrite saffire Pro) as your main soundcard, you would use two 1/4" balanced jack cables coming out of the monitor outputs of the interface into your KRKs.

if you are using the built in Macbook pro soundcard, you are coming out of a stereo source, so you need one minijack to dual 1/4" (one for left, one for right) that go into the KRKs. look at the picture in the link. thats what you need if using the built in soundcard.

having a balanced connection will significantly reduce mains hum. hum is usually found in cheaper cables. youve just spent £500 on the monitors, so spend a little bit more for the main connection to them to ensure a good quality build and connection.

oh i gotcha.. well yes i will be using the Macs built in sound card.. so i will go to best buy tomorrow and purchase a stereo minijack similar to the one you posted, and also purchase two 1/4" trs cables... plug the TRS cables into the minijack, and plug the other end of the minijack into the macbooks headphone input.. sounds about right? lol

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no no no! its a stereo minjack TO DUAL mono TRS Jack! it splits the stereo signal into two wires, Left and right! its just one cable!

stereo mini jack - then it branches off into two wires. all you need is something similar to the picture. its one cable. one stereo connector - two mono connections on the other end.

:)

OP
B
Reaction score
Hahah oh! Thank u, I told u I'm a noob, ok but even better makes my life more simple. I will let u know how it goes, thank you!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
B
Reaction score
WELL! i went to best buy, no luck with that kind of cable, went to radio shack, again, no luck. so i drove to a Guitar Center about a half hour from my house and they did not have the balanced TRS cable, but they did have a stereo minijack to dual XLR cable which works with my speakers so i said screw it and just bought that for now. the guy at GC was telling me XLR is better than TRS... idk about all that as i said i am not really experienced on this, but for now it is doing the job fine i suppose.

if TRS is really that much better and people still insist i go that route, i will just purchase it online because i CANNOT find one anywhere around here haha

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dont worry, XLR is balanced aswell. i didnt realise the KRK's had XLR inputs, i would have recommended that instead! glad you got the right cable!

:)

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks dude, and most importantly thank u for all your help. i'm really loving my setup right now... now i just need to scrap up $2,000 more for my DJ Equipment :-O that was my main reason for purchasing a Mac, many music related purposes

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha. no worries. until you get your extra gear, in the mean time, have a look at Mixxx and Virtual DJ. (they are on the App Store.)

OP
B
Reaction score
wow virtual DJ is AWESOME!! dude, thank u again haha

just another random question, what is the best default setting for the volume on my speakers? right now they are set on -6dB, i see other options are 0, +3dB, and +6dB

and idk what the HF LEVEL ADJUST means but it is set on 0dB currently.

i guess it would depend on where you are using your speakers? for me it is just my bedroom so i don't think i need to go too crazy adjusting volumes

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i would say 0 or -6db. going over could damage them or distort the signal. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.