Website info lost when hard drive died

Reaction score
Hello

My MacBook's hard drive died a couple of weeks ago. I had most things backed up, but I wasn't using Time Machine at the time (it was OSX Tiger), so applications and their info was lost.

I built my website using iWeb (I think it was the iLife 06 version?) and linked to my own domain name via Mobile Me. I now have a new hard drive with OSX Snow Leopard and iLife 11 and iWeb recognises that I want to look to my own domain through Mobile Me, but it doesn't load any of the old info.

Is there a way of getting all my website's information into the new version of iWeb? I had been updating so all the links from my homepage were deactivated, but the pages are all live and floating in the ether - I just can't get to them! Is there anything I can do to retrieve?

Thanks,
Rachael

Reaction score
Hello

My MacBook's hard drive died a couple of weeks ago. I had most things backed up, but I wasn't using Time Machine at the time (it was OSX Tiger), so applications and their info was lost.

I built my website using iWeb (I think it was the iLife 06 version?) and linked to my own domain name via Mobile Me. I now have a new hard drive with OSX Snow Leopard and iLife 11 and iWeb recognises that I want to look to my own domain through Mobile Me, but it doesn't load any of the old info.

Is there a way of getting all my website's information into the new version of iWeb? I had been updating so all the links from my homepage were deactivated, but the pages are all live and floating in the ether - I just can't get to them! Is there anything I can do to retrieve?

Thanks,
Rachael

I'm not sure that I'm understanding you Rachael. Are you attempting to open your iweb file with iweb '11?

'iWeb '11' is actually iWeb '09 as they've made no changes, so I would think that it would open the file though it may have to convert it during the opening process.

Now if you no longer have access to the actual iWeb domain file, then you're going to have problems.

If you haven't already, you can try to locate your domain file at home directory/library/application support/iweb/domain.sites2

I hope you can get it working. :D

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for replying! No, I don't have access to the original iWeb files... I originally wrote the website on iWeb 06 and it's attached to my Mobile Me account. You can see the homepage at www.rachaelwright.co.uk

All the pages are live, it's just not linked to anything on the homepage as I deactivated the links when I was updating it recently.

Where do I find the path that starts home directory? I tried to spotlight it, but couldn't find it. Or is it on Mobile Me? (Sorry if that's a stupid question!)

Reaction score
Rachael, when you backed up, what exactly did you back up? What files/directories?

I hate to say it, but unless you backed up your libraries directory in the system folder, then probably don't have access to your iWeb domain file any longer. That's going to complicate things pretty drastically.

Also, do you still have the disk that crashed? Have you taken it anywhere to see if a mac service shop might be able to retrieve info from the damaged drive? They're able to do some pretty amazing stuff in recovery these days.

Rachael, in the event that you do have to rebuild your site, here are some good tips from a couple of the iWeb gurus on the Apple Support Forums:

Apple

OP
R
Reaction score
I just did a spotlight search in my back-up drive for 'iWeb' and ta dah! All the info is there! It's an old version, but it's a version I can build on rather than starting from scratch. Thank you so much - you're my hero.

I looked in to hard drive retrieval and I was quoted $400... I hadn't backed up for 6 months, but everything I lost was more of a pain rather than complete disaster. Photos etc. are all stored on externals. Losing all of my iWeb info would've been closer to the disaster mark, but it's now back to being a bit of a time consuming pain! Thanks again!

A note to everyone reading this - BACK UP! Invest in an external hard drive and update it regularly!

Reaction score
That's great, Rachael! I'm glad you found the info!
icon_smile_thumbup.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.