DVI to MDP Adapter - adapting to SVGA?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think I made a mistake in purchasing a DVI-MDP adapter with my new MacBook Pro and was just wondering if anyone can confirm my suspicion.

My older MacBook Pro came with a DVI to SVGA adapter. I used this on occasion to connect it to my TV which has an SVGA input. When I was ordering the new 2011 MBP, I figured I'd need some kind of adapter to duplicate the same functionality seeing has how it has a Thunderbolt/MDP port.

So, one of the options was a DVI to MDP adapter and I picked it up thinking that I could use my existing DVI to SVGA with it to connect to the TV. Come to find out, the DVI connector on the MDP adapter is missing 4 holes (2 above and 2 below) around the flat blade hole, which is required to use the DVI to SVGA adapter.

Poking around online, it seems that these pins distinguish the connector on the MDP adapter as a DVI-D connector (meaning digital-only). I assume this means that there is no easy way to adapt it to an analog connection like SVGA.

If this is true, I'm guessing I might just take this thing back and look for a HDMI or dedicated SVGA adapter.

Thoughts?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, you're right. Without those pins it's digital only. To get from any of these new Macs with the mini displayport to VGA, you have to use one of the MDP to VGA adapters. All of the MDP to DVI adapters put out digital only.

If you're wanting the audio on the TV, I'd grab one of the mdp to HDMI adapters that supports audio.

If you're running the sound to a receiver, think I'd probably stay with the VGA just to alleviate the possible hassle of your TVs' HDMI port not working with your Mac.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, OK - thanks for confirming my suspicions. I wonder if I can take back just the cable - considering it came bundled in the retail package with my MBP, I'm guessing it might be an uphill battle to just walk into the Apple Store with the adapter and try to exchange.

Not sure which way I'll go. It was handy to have that adapter to connect to projectors at work and then occasionally to connect to my TV (with an 1/8" audio cable to the headphone jack). HDMI with audio would be a good solution for the TV at home, but not so much for the projectors - the majority of which are usually SVGA. Considering the rarity of which I use the TV, I'm thinking a VGA adapter might get more use.

What to do, what to do... I doubt I'll ever use a dedicated DVI-D connection.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Amazon's got some mdp to vga adapters under $10- better than giving Apple another $30 for theirs. But read reviews.

edit: on the other hand, can't hurt walking into Apple if you have one close to see if they'll exchange it.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Amazon's got some mdp to vga adapters under $10- better than giving Apple another $30 for theirs. But read reviews.

I was just looking at Monoprice as a matter of fact - they have an $11 one with $1.95 shipping. Not a bad deal.

I was also poking around Apple's site, and it appears that they did indeed bundle it in a single order. Which is incidentally why my machine was a "CTO" order. I'm going to call customer service tomorrow and see what (if anything) they'll do before I order. I should have done this research before I clicked the button while ordering this thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.