PDA

View Full Version : Please make the reputation button more noticeable

hw96Lgb
03-06-2011, 05:30 AM
No need for an "In-your-face" design like the one used by the Student Room (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk) but it would be nice to have something a little more conspicuous. I would never have noticed the rep system had a mod not asked for it to be used in his/her signature.

thanks

Kevriano
03-06-2011, 06:17 AM
Not a bad idea really. I have had a few PM's asking where it is so that I could be repped.

roflitskyle
03-06-2011, 06:20 AM
I agree, it should be more noticeable. At first I thought i was a X, so I thought it was bad :D

- Kyle

robduckyworth
03-06-2011, 07:28 AM
it looks like a V and an X. maybe if they coloured it? or if it just said "rep"?

McYukon
03-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Or "Thank" and "Report" both of which have tooltips "Thank xxx for this post" And "Report this post"

Buzzard2010
03-06-2011, 07:49 PM
I certainly would be helpful, took me a good month until I worked out what all the green squares were and that they were connected to the weird little symbol. I use the symbol in my signature to try and help the situation a little. Not sure if it's working but hopefully some people have learned from it :D

- Simon

chscag
03-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Without a redesign of the buttons to make it more noticeable, probably the best place to have it is in your sig line. I can start by doing it myself. Thanks for the reminder.

robduckyworth
03-06-2011, 08:48 PM
ill whack it in mine for good measure. :)

RustProofCorn
03-06-2011, 11:46 PM
I didn't know there was a rep system until I saw it in buzzards sig. Then I looked at my profile and someone had put a negative mark on me for trying to help someone but helping them wrong. I have in the last couple weeks since finding out have been using it.
I however don't know how to put it in my sig. Mine says "MacBook pro" and I definitely am not a pro but I haven't figured out where it is lol.

robduckyworth
03-07-2011, 12:02 AM
go onto profile, then look at the side bar. it says "edit signature". thats where you wanna go :)

roflitskyle
03-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Added to mine for good luck :D

- Kyle

the8thark
03-07-2011, 05:57 AM
Actually it's the 1st button from the left or 2nd button from the right.
As the circle is just a dot to say if the person is online. Not a button.

Kevriano
03-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Seems we are all of a similar opinion here. I will modify my sig to highlight it to.

Aptmunich
03-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Let's see if we can get the broken stumbleupon image fixed first ;)
But I agree, it's a terrible icon...

schweb
03-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the feedback, we'll add it to the list. But understand things need to be prioritized so not promising it will be looked at quickly.

I will divulge however that we're looking at something much more comprehensive for the rep system beyond just changing the icon. :)

Buzzard2010
03-07-2011, 04:26 PM
P.S I like the new stumble icon, seems to be working now :D

- Simon

hw96Lgb
03-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Maybe replace the icon with a green plus sign? All users will intuitively link it to something positive.

chscag
03-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Maybe replace the icon with a green plus sign? All users will intuitively link it to something positive.

Look at my signature line.

iWhat
03-17-2011, 12:32 PM
We are open to changes. We are currently looking at a couple options: scrap the rep system, replace it with some other system, or implement a way to encourage more usage of it.

robduckyworth
03-17-2011, 12:41 PM
We are open to changes. We are currently looking at a couple options: scrap the rep system, replace it with some other system, or implement a way to encourage more usage of it.

i reckon it just needs encouragement. theres no need to start over, it already gives a good indication, as its been established enough.

chscag
03-17-2011, 07:59 PM
While it may need some more encouragement, we also have to be careful that it's not misused.

Kevriano
03-18-2011, 06:49 AM
I'd be sad to see it go to be honest. Though it doesn't get used as much as it maybe should, I like when I do get some thank you rep. Makes you feel it was worth the effort.

Buzzard2010
03-18-2011, 09:49 AM
I am with Kev here, I would certainly be sad to see it go. I have not been a member for all that long (almost 5 months) but I do like the rep I have gotten so far... feels like I have actually achieved something ;)

- Simon

cwa107
03-18-2011, 09:58 AM
I'd be sad to see it go to be honest. Though it doesn't get used as much as it maybe should, I like when I do get some thank you rep. Makes you feel it was worth the effort.

It is nice to get the feedback. It's almost like you earned something, I agree.

Just to be clear, we're not considering retiring the reputation system, but we are looking at options for enhancing it.

the8thark
03-27-2011, 12:05 AM
I do have a suggestion what would help the reputation system. Make it so that you don't have to type in your own name. It should automatically say the name without you having to type it in so people would know who gave the rep.

Yes if everyone put their username with the rep they gave there would be no need for this. But people don't. For me about 25% of the good rep and 95% of the bad rep I get is anonymous with no name next to it. So I don't know who gave the rep. Yes people say don't leave anonymous rep all the time on the forums. But it's not working.

That is my little suggestion to make the rep system better.

RavingMac
03-27-2011, 12:15 AM
I agree with the8thark. 5 out of the last 8 rep I have gotten has been anonymous. Almost certainly because people didn't know or forgot (like I have before).

schweb
03-27-2011, 12:17 AM
We purposely don't require the name. Anonymous rep is permissible and smetimes actually prevents fighting between members. While we encourage people to leave their names, it's not something we want to require.

If it's a case where someone violates the community guidelines with the rep they leave, the staff is able to see who left it.

cwa107
03-27-2011, 12:29 AM
If we did that, the reputation system would rapidly devolve into a vendetta system. It's not perfect, but at least people can feel comfortable being candid. And of course, if it's abused, the staff can always intervene.

the8thark
03-27-2011, 01:53 AM
Anonymous rep is permissible and smetimes actually prevents fighting between members.
Yes you are right. But not automatically providing a name with the rep leads to an influx of anonymous rep. And none of which can be delt with by PMing the person to work out the neg rep issue or thank for the good rep. Cause we don't know who sent it.

cwa107
03-27-2011, 02:35 AM
Yes you are right. But not automatically providing a name with the rep leads to an influx of anonymous rep. And none of which can be delt with by PMing the person to work out the neg rep issue or thank for the good rep. Cause we don't know who sent it.

But why would you need to know? It's not about having a conversation, it's about providing feedback to someone.

Here in the US, a lot of restaurants have "comment cards" on the tables that you can fill out and drop in a box on your way out the door. The management gets a little taste as to what their customers are experiencing, and the customer is able to be candid because they know there's no fear of reprisal. Can you imagine what would happen if you handed the comment card to your waiter just before your food or drinks arrived?

The reputation has a very simple purpose, it's intended to keep people respectful proactively. If you're a new member, you probably could care less how you're perceived by the community. But as an established member, it's supposed to give both you and others a sense of your standing. So if someone does "good", they can expect positive feedback - it gives them something to strive for. Conversely, it should make you think twice about saying something nasty or dropping junk posts. It's not intended to open up a resource for mediation - that's just not its purpose.

Now, we all know the system is open for abuse. And I'm sure there are many times that members get rep that is unfair (for example, people leaving negative reps with no comments - that's completely contrary to the intent of the system), and that's why a few things are true of the system....

1. People with low rep count have less power to influence the rep of others.
2. People with no rep or negative rep, have no influence at all (that would be people who are not versed in the ways of the community)
3. People with more rep (better standing) have more power to influence the rep of others (these are people who have been here for awhile and as such, are probably better behaved, or at least more acclimated to the tone of the community).
4. Staff (those that run the community) have the most power to influence the rep of others.

The system is built this way to give it balance. Now, if there's an egregious offense (i.e. you get an anonymous, blank neg that accounts for -10), you'll know it was from a more seasoned member - and in that case, you can always have staff intervene. But if it accounts for very little (-1 to -3), what difference does it make? If you're a positive contributor, you're going to earn that back and then some in short order (assuming the majority are using the system as intended).

I think the system is not only designed well, but actually quite elegant in its approach. And beyond that, I would encourage people to leave anonymous rep (positive or negative) to make it work better. But before you go a-clicking that button, the cardinal rule must be that you add CONSTRUCTIVE feedback.

So, instead of saying something like "OMG! RUDE!", how about "the member you replied to is new, you could be more tactful in the way you're handling them".

Make sense?

bobtomay
03-27-2011, 09:05 AM

For me, neg rep serves as a reminder to our Community Guidelines, specifically this part:

Our community is made up of all kinds of different people, and all of them have the right to feel comfortable. Others may not think the way that you think, believe what you believe, know what you know, or see what you see.

As a member here for almost 3 years before becoming a moderator, I received neg rep exactly one (1) time. And that time was from someone's first post of a new thread, who then went down the list and gave everyone that responded to the post neg rep and was ultimately banned as a troll. I've gotten neg rep twice since becoming a mod (am sure that would be many more times if more folks were comfortable giving a mod neg rep - and I know I've deserved it a few times).

imho: Anyone here getting all that much neg rep should stop and smell the roses. Perhaps take some time to reflect on the post in question (for about 30 seconds) and move on.

schweb
03-27-2011, 09:16 AM
For me, neg rep serves as a reminder to our Community Guidelines, ...

Anyone here getting all that much neg rep should stop and smell the roses. Perhaps take some time to reflect on the post in question (for about 30 seconds) and move on.

This is the best advice in the whole thread.

Buzzard2010
03-27-2011, 04:02 PM
I take my hat off to you Bob, certainly the way everyone should be looking at the forums as a whole!

- Simon

RustProofCorn
03-29-2011, 05:59 AM
How do u tell if the rep u get is -10 or -3 and such? I have a whopping 23 points total so it doesnt really matter but I have one negative rep and I was just wondering how to tell how bad it was.

For some if u who get alot of rep this might stink but for those that get few or new members what if u got a pm or something saying "you got rep!" just because it might promote it and make it more noticeable. And for the folks that get a lot of rep they can have the option of turning that feature off. (looking at u buzzard, I mean really three dots in 5 months good show)

1. People with low rep count have less power to influence the rep of others.
2. People with no rep or negative rep, have no influence at all (that would be people who are not versed in the ways of the community)
3. People with more rep (better standing) have more power to influence the rep of others (these are people who have been here for awhile and as such, are probably better behaved, or at least more acclimated to the tone of the community).
4. Staff (those that run the community) have the most power to influence the rep of others.

The system is built this way to give it balance. Now, if there's an egregious offense (i.e. you get an anonymous, blank neg that accounts for -10), you'll know it was from a more seasoned member - and in that case, you can always have staff intervene. But if it accounts for very little (-1 to -3), what difference does it make? If you're a positive contributor, you're going to earn that back and then some in short order (assuming the majority are using the system as intended).

I think the system is not only designed well, but actually quite elegant in its approach. And beyond that, I would encourage people to leave anonymous rep (positive or negative) to make it work better. But before you go a-clicking that button, the cardinal rule must be that you add CONSTRUCTIVE feedback.

So, instead of saying something like "OMG! RUDE!", how about "the member you replied to is new, you could be more tactful in the way you're handling them".

Make sense?

the8thark
03-29-2011, 07:10 AM
Reputation is nice. But in my opinion it it should only be the side act to the main attraction. This attraction being the want to help out other Mac users and having a fun time at M-F. I'm all for having a good reputation system. But rep should just be a bonus for giving a good post. Not the main reason in doing so.

I'm not saying this is happening at M-F. But it has happened at other forums I frequent. And they removed their reputation systems cause of this. So I think now the rep system though certainly not perfect is pretty good.

bobtomay
03-29-2011, 08:00 AM
How do u tell if the rep u get is -10 or -3 and such? I have a whopping 23 points total so it doesnt really matter but I have one negative rep and I was just wondering how to tell how bad it was.

You don't. Unless you're basically obsessing over it, checking it multiple times a day (if you're posting that much) and keeping track of how many points you had previously and now have after the latest rep you've been given.

For some if u who get alot of rep this might stink but for those that get few or new members what if u got a pm or something saying "you got rep!" just because it might promote it and make it more noticeable. ...

It's not being "promoted", except, primarily by those that want it.

Look, the rep system primarily provides an easy way for the members to give a pat on the back, a way for some to say thanks and for others to say job well done (or not, as the case may be.) I know, we all like to receive the occasional pat on the back letting us know we're headed in the right direction or we did a good job - even this old codger included.

I'll guarantee you, that all those who's rep counts for more than a single point or two, are well aware of the existence of the rep system and how to give it. By the time members have been here and put up 50-100 posts, almost all of them have become aware of the rep system.

So this whole thing is really only about how to make the newbs aware of it. Have to say, the rep they give is worth nothing in the way of points, either plus or minus, anyway. Most of them (at least the ones that even bother to return to get the help after their initial post) say thanks right there in the thread. You've got your pat on the back.

This whole discussion is really nothing more than a way to kill off the rep system as has been done on many other forums. My suggestion would be to let this thread sink to the bottom of the list.

edit: Those of us that seemingly have no life and spend a lot of time in the forum, put up a lot of posts, we've seen who helps out. The number of dots under a name is not what lets us know whether someone has been contributing in a positive way to the forum or not. We've seen the contributions and the respect of the other members is built up over a period of time from seeing your posts. It's certainly not based on the number of dots you have under your name.

the8thark
03-29-2011, 08:16 AM
We've seen the contributions and the respect of the other members is built up over a period of time from seeing your posts. It's certainly not based on the number of dots you have under your name.
I will quote this simply cause of the wise words said there. And that's exactly how it should be. Well said.

Buzzard2010
03-29-2011, 02:23 PM
And for the folks that get a lot of rep they can have the option of turning that feature off. (looking at u buzzard, I mean really three dots in 5 months good show)

Thank-you :D I am certainly very proud of my rep points :D , feels like I have achieved something for once ;)

- Simon

a.j.c.
03-30-2011, 12:10 PM
This is my first forum experience with a "rep" system .
I think it's a great idea and hope to contribute to this community

RustProofCorn
04-01-2011, 12:29 AM
Kinda off subject but what are the grey dots in the rep system?

vansmith
04-01-2011, 12:39 AM
You'll see grey dots when someone attempts to give you rep (either negative or positive) but hasn't been here long enough. It doesn't count either way - you don't lose or gain any points when you see a grey dot.

RustProofCorn
04-01-2011, 12:52 AM
Ah thanks for clarifying that.

bobtomay
04-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Kinda off subject but what are the grey dots in the rep system?

green - indicates some number above zero
grey - is zero
red - indicates some number below zero

Receiving rep that is grey, as I indicated above, means the individual does not have enough time/points themselves (all new members) to either add or deduct from others rep.

schweb
04-01-2011, 08:16 AM
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/news-community-announcements/68770-reputation-system-faq.html

RustProofCorn
04-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. Looked for a forum sticky couldn't find it. Thanks for the link.

a.j.c.
05-05-2011, 08:39 PM
i'm still unknown at this point...not sure if thats a good thing or bad thing lol

trying to contribute as best i can

chscag
05-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Just keep contributing the best you can. Reputation like a savings account, takes a while to build up. And thank you for your participation in the Mac Forums.