• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What is your tech product wish list?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
What is your tech product wish list?

It can be products Apple make. Or even products Apple don't make but you wished they did. Or it can be a product not from Apple at all. Anything :)
And yes I did a forum search and no recent similar topics came up.

And here's my list.

21.5 inch imac - 27 inch is too big for me. I'll probably get one at the next imac revision. Cause these days the MBP's get updated first and later on the sae features give or take come the the imac. Imac updates always lag behind.

$200 iphone without a contract - Apple do not make these. But there is lots of rumour they are looking to make these. So if they do, I'm their first customer.

An Apple wireless modem/router box - Pretty much I want an airport express + modem/router in the same box. Apple do not make this. And probably never will. I hate having 2 boxes downstairs, I want just the one. And am not willing to get rid of the airport express cause I like it so much.

82cm (or 32 inch) LCD HD TV. I still have a CRT TV at home. Which is fine cause I hardly watch TV. But cause the analogue signal will be switched off soon I need to upgrade to digital. Not exactly sure which brand to get but I am researching it up now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ooooo, nice idea. I like that your list is made of things that are reasonably achievable, given modest funds, even if Apple don't make a couple of things on there.
As you have set that benchmark, I will stick to a similar vein, almost everything will be readily available (so really what I'd like to upgrade to), given the money!

27" Quad Core i7 iMac with 8GB RAM and a 2TB drive (though I'd like 2TB of Solid State, which isn't yet available).

13" i7 Macbook Pro with a 512 SSD, and 4GB RAM. Just to replace my Powerbook G4 (which I still love).

An iPad 2, just because :)

iPhone without a contract is possible, but not for £200/$200 but give it time. I would like it to have a better camera if I was spending that money though, I fveel it's still kind of an afterthought and it's very hard to take shake free photo's with the current model, so image stabilisation would be cool. Perfectly possible given the architecture.

Panasonic Kuro Plasma (50") - no longer made, still the ultimate plasma. I have a 42" Plasma anyway, but it's not Full HD, which is now becoming essential for me, I watch a lot of HD films. This will be my next upgrade anyway, though not to a Kuro.

Full DTSMA compatible receiver and a new set of speakers to go with. Would stick with Yamaha for the receiver, still the warmest sounding amps out there. For speakers, KEF or B and W.

Not really much else to be honest. I have no thoughts on something not available anywhere at all, I kind of wait for things to be invented and then think "why couldn't I think of that!"

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My "tech product" wish list:

- 73" Big Screen HDTV
- 27" quad-core iMac
- 17" quad-core MacBook Pro
- iPad 2
- iPhone 4
- a setup to convert vinyl music to mp3
- a nice sound system for the 73" HDTV mentioned above
- an older 30" Apple Cinema Display
- a new 27" Apple Cinema Display
- Direct TV satellite system (to see if it's any better than cable TV)
- newest version of the Garmin GPS sports watch
- an Apple Airport Extreme dual-band router
- another large screen flat panel TV for the bedroom
- a triple 24" monitor setup...with one of those special triple monitor stands
- an 8-core Mac Pro
- etc, etc, etc

The more "realistic" wish list:

- an iPad 2;)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
27 in iMac
60 in HDTV
Flying Car
11 in MBA
AirPlay HiFi unit that doesn't look like a stretched football
iPad2
ATV2

Phaser (as in Star Trek)
Tricorder (same)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 in iMac
60 in HDTV
Flying Car
11 in MBA
AirPlay HiFi unit that doesn't look like a stretched football
iPad2
ATV2

Phaser (as in Star Trek)
Tricorder (same)

CRAP...I did forget about the flying car & the phaser!!!;) A transporter (Star Trek) would be nice as well...no more work commutes...or dealing with high gas prices to deal with.

Of course if I wanted to get "sophomoric"...we could include "x-ray glasses"...and I'm not talking about the ones that see bones!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Of course if I wanted to get "sophomoric"...we could include "x-ray glasses"...and I'm not talking about the ones that see bones!;)

- Nick

Just go to any modern airport and pinch one of those new scanners, they leave nothing to the imagination at all, hence the furore over them.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CRAP...I did forget about the flying car & the phaser!!!;) A transporter (Star Trek) would be nice as well...no more work commutes...or dealing with high gas prices to deal with.

- Nick
I thought about including the Transporter, but GalaxyQuest (one of my favorite movies) soured me on that one. :)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Hmmmm good question.

• 65" LED HDTV to replace my 6 year old 65" DLP
  • I'm starting to think 27" quad core iMac with second 27" display (maybe ;) )
  • Thunderbolt anything
  • Time Capsule (will probably pick up next week - but expect that as soon as I do, Apple will release one with Thunderbolt)
  • SSD with 500MBps+ r/w - that didn't cost over a grand for 500GB storage
  • iPad 3
  • wish work would approve iPhones for use instead of these crappy blackberries
  • That my new MBP could accommodate 16GB RAM

There has to be more but I haven't had any coffee yet today.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Just go to any modern airport and pinch one of those new scanners, they leave nothing to the imagination at all, hence the furore over them.

I was in the UK in January and someone was telling me about a group of Scots that - just to be 'cheeky' - went to the airport in kilts (clothed appropriately underneath-meaning not) and refused the scanners opting instead for the patdown. Don't know if it's true - but funny story. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
My wish list for realistic items:
  • iMac 27" with a 27" monitor on each side to wrap around my head.
  • 15" Macbook Pro TB i7 with dual 400gb OWC-SSD set in Raid0.
  • 2 new graphics cards for my G5's, along with a dual 200gb OWC-SSD conversion kit set in Raid0.
  • (x2)15" Macbook Pro for my parents.
  • 11"MBA(loaded) for school.

But the most important thing that I'm actually still trying to negotiate a deal with, which technically does have a lot to do with technology, is a new lease on an Acura TSX SportsWagon(tech package), or a Honda Accord CrossTour EXL-awd. I'll know tomorrow about them both, but the deal regarding numbers is good! Yes, I'm young and I like wagons! Got a problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Realistically for short term the Lacie blu-ray burner; am waiting until it drops to $200.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It's more of a price drop than a tech wish list. SSD price drop would be nice. Apple already recently made the Quad-Core MBP. ^-^" Something that I've been waiting for.

Reaction score
I am curious why you have so many monitors/displays on your list? I guess it would be useful for different rooms in a house... now that i think about it.

I think my tech list would just be an Apple Tv. Have come for a possible "need" for one.

My "tech product" wish list:

- 73" Big Screen HDTV
- 27" quad-core iMac
- 17" quad-core MacBook Pro
- iPad 2
- iPhone 4
- a setup to convert vinyl music to mp3
- a nice sound system for the 73" HDTV mentioned above
- an older 30" Apple Cinema Display
- a new 27" Apple Cinema Display
- Direct TV satellite system (to see if it's any better than cable TV)
- newest version of the Garmin GPS sports watch
- an Apple Airport Extreme dual-band router
- another large screen flat panel TV for the bedroom
- a triple 24" monitor setup...with one of those special triple monitor stands
- an 8-core Mac Pro
- etc, etc, etc

The more "realistic" wish list:

- an iPad 2;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am curious why you have so many monitors/displays on your list?

Two reasons:

1. An AWESOME multiple monitor setup.
2. You don't know how many Macintosh computers I own!;)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Until you guys asked I had lots of ideas. Here's the short list in no particular order:

1. An HDTV that doubles effectively as computer monitor. Don't have room for both with the media setup. Besides the graphics card in my 2007 Mac Pro is only handling one thing at a time now.
2. Wireless BT keyboard that toggles to work with several devices without complete re-pairing each time I switch.
3. New receiver/amp that sounds incredible but doesn't break the bank. Suggestions appreciated.
4. Decent signal from ATandT.
5. iPad 2

Will the first forum member to perfect the transporter/flying car pass it to whomever perfects the replicator. In exchange for one of each of those items I will pass on the invisibility cloak I am working on. We could use said items to see what the folks at Cupertino are up to next lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3. New receiver/amp that sounds incredible but doesn't break the bank. Suggestions appreciated.

How big is the bank?

Yamaha RX V667 would be my choice at around £350, but with the same sound chip as the £2000 flagship. Awesome receiver.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't know how many Macintosh computers I own!;)

- Nick

Just curious since you no longer have the running total in your sidebar. What is the current count?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just curious since you no longer have the running total in your sidebar. What is the current count?

I'll have to check. I have a rough idea...but I'm not sure of the exact count.;)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll have to check. I have a rough idea...but I'm not sure of the exact count.;)

- Nick

Now that is what I call OoC!

Repeat after me, "Hi everyone, my name is Nick and I am a Mac addict . . ." :)

Reaction score
- Apple LED Cinema Display (27" flat panel)
- Magic Mouse
- iPhone 4

My 13" Macbook Pro screen is way too small for some of my design work. I'd love a huge glossy Apple monitor. The new Cinema Display is out of my current budget, but I can dream, right? My 3GS has been twitchy lately. Ready to upgrade it! I guess I've completed the transformation from PC person to Mac person in the past few years, huh?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.