PDA

View Full Version : Android hit by rogue app viruses

the8thark
03-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Android hit by rogue app viruses
BBC News - Android hit by rogue app viruses (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12633923)

MYmacROX
03-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Just makes me feel safe & cozy behind the "walled garden". ;)

Chris H.
03-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Gotta love the walled garden. Sad to say, Google NEEDS to do something about this.

osxx
03-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Got to agree life in the garden is great.

Lifeisabeach
03-04-2011, 12:03 AM
I was reading another article about this on Ars Technica earlier. A number of the comments seem especially insightful and worth reading. Here's a link to one comment in particular that's worth reading, from a developer:

Malware in Android Market highlights Google's vulnerability (http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2011/03/malware-in-android-market-highlights-googles-vulnerability.ars?comments=1&start=40#comment-21388721)

I've read that the Marketplace gives you the feeling you are being mugged, and the comment I linked to further reinforces that impression. The more I read about Android, the happier I am staying waaaay away from it. It just sounds like it needs too much micromanaging. Actually, it sounds EXACTLY like Windows.

iWhat
03-04-2011, 01:40 AM
I was reading another article about this on Ars Technica earlier. A number of the comments seem especially insightful and worth reading. Here's a link to one comment in particular that's worth reading, from a developer:

Malware in Android Market highlights Google's vulnerability (http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2011/03/malware-in-android-market-highlights-googles-vulnerability.ars?comments=1&start=40#comment-21388721)

I've read that the Marketplace gives you the feeling you are being mugged, and the comment I linked to further reinforces that impression. The more I read about Android, the happier I am staying waaaay away from it. It just sounds like it needs too much micromanaging. Actually, it sounds EXACTLY like Windows.
I don't think I ever realized how messed up the Android app market was. Seems like the developer in the comment spent about a third of his resources just dealing with the policy hoops that he had to jump through.

ukchucktown
03-04-2011, 05:21 PM
A lot of people miss the point of Android. It's a great platform for those of us building mobile apps for enterprises. Apps can be installed from anywhere and cost to develop is lower. Device choices are a good thing since they come at different price points. Fragmentation is not a big deal when enterprises control all the purchasing.

I see the value in an open source platform but I'm also wise enough to know viruses are a real concern for Android. Look at it another way, there is a great opportunity for developers of virus protection apps to make big money in the Android space.

The Android Market definitely needs an overhaul. Personally Google should exert more control over the apps that appear in the Market to avoid this kind of problem in the future. Because Android apps can be installed from anywhere I see no issue with Google creating the same walled garden for Android Market. It might happen if this continues to be a problem.