Airport security

R

rosso

Hello I really dont understand how to sort my security out on my Airport Express card. I'd like to stop people using my wifi to connect to the net. Whats the simplist way to slap some protection on! Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Turn on a password, that's the easiest.

OP
R

rosso

schweb said:
Turn on a password, that's the easiest.

I think I did, not sure if its effect though? WEP password settings is what I used. Don't know if its working? How do I find out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
WPA is better if you can use it. If you need to use a password to join the network then it's working (or if you have it turned on then you can assume it's working).

You can also turn off broadcasting of the network name as another safeguard measure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
You also may want to disable SSID broadcast and rename your network to something that only you'll know. This will prevent the average Joe from just discovering your wifi network. This and password protection should be suffice in keeping the unwanteds out. If you decide that you want to take it to the next level you could us MAC address filtering to limit connectivity to specific machines.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.