Setting up a server

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPod touch, iPad, iPhone4s,apple tv first,2nd gen, airport express and extreme, MBA
I have an iMac and a MBA, do I need a Mac mini to set up an OSx
server?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17'' late 2010, core i7 2.66, 4 Gb ram
Can you be a little more specific? Why do you think you'll need a server?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPod touch, iPad, iPhone4s,apple tv first,2nd gen, airport express and extreme, MBA
I run MYOB for my electrical business.
I want to be able to take my MBA on the road and do my invoicing and have the same files on my desktop at home.
Does that make sense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17'' late 2010, core i7 2.66, 4 Gb ram
I don't know much about MYOB, but still, is it possible for you to set up your iMac as FTP server and transfer files back and forth to your MBA? This applies if you need to share files, but not if you're working with a database.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could also look into something like Dropbox which is a lot easier and will take no more than 5 minutes to setup on both machines. This won't work if you're not comfortable with having your files stored online as well (some people aren't comfortable with this).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.