• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iTunes Music Store Selection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Has anybody noticed that there is no straight up Linkin Park on the iTunes store? It's all collaborations with "Jay-Z." Linkin Park is a popular group in itself, why do you suppose iTunes doesn't have their stuff?

I've also noticed some other isolated songs that aren't on there- mostly pop songs used in movies that aren't on the soundtrack. Does anybody know a good online service to look for things like that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33GHz G4 14", 60GB, 768MB RAM, Airport, Bluetooth, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
Personally, I don't care for iTMS, the reason being that they sell those crazy copy-protected files, which are encoded at 128kbps. Yes, they sound very good, but being as paranoid as I am, I strictly just buy CDs! That way I can encode my music the way I want to, and plus keep the original, uncompressed file along with the CD case, booklets, etc. I dig that stuff.

Not to get off topic, though; perhaps Apple don't sell any Linkin Park stuff because they don't have a deal with Linkin Park/the record company, and thus don't have the right to distribute LP's music - just a thought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
vr04 said:
... perhaps Apple don't sell any Linkin Park stuff because they don't have a deal with Linkin Park/the record company, and thus don't have the right to distribute LP's music - just a thought.

I'm certain that's the case.

My favorite experience with iTunes was when it asked me if I wanted to submit a playlist to their library, and not a single track on my playlist was available on iTunes. :)

iTunes is good for most of the stuff that's popular and some of the better-known older music, but a lot of what I listen to isn't out there and probably wouldn't bring in enough revenue to justify Apple's making a deal with the artist/label.

OP
sevenhelmet
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Good responses, all. I think I'm going back to CDs for new music (certainly for Linkin Park.) Unfortunately, that leaves me with the problem of finding music that's hard to get- especially when it's just one song vs. a whole album.

But finding tunes is half the fun, right?

M

Merlinblack

sevenhelmet said:
Good responses, all. I think I'm going back to CDs for new music (certainly for Linkin Park.) Unfortunately, that leaves me with the problem of finding music that's hard to get- especially when it's just one song vs. a whole album.

But finding tunes is half the fun, right?

I don't know how big Pensacola, FL (I live in Canada) is but, if you have an "artsy district" you probably can find a used CD/record store along there. Usually you can find all sorts of obscure music at those stores.

Plus it's a bit cheaper than buying new stuff which is nice, especially if you are only buying an Album/LP, for one song.

The ones in my city even let you listen before you buy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.