Viewing daisy chained hardrives over network: Help

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have just bought a 21.5" imac and have connected my 3 external hard drives to it.

just so you know the configuration:
iMac is connected to HD1 via FW800
HD1 is connected to HD2 via FW800 cable with FW800-FW400 adapter
HD2 is connected to HD3 via FW400 cable

when i'm on my imac i can see and use all three drives without a problem

Using file sharing, i can connect to my imac using my Mac book pro 15". when i do this though, i can only see HD1. I cant see HD2 or HD3.

any idea why i cant view the other two hard drives?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Joe

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Using file sharing, i can connect to my imac using my Mac book pro 15". when i do this though, i can only see HD1. I cant see HD2 or HD3.

any idea why i cant view the other two hard drives?

It's more than likely because of the adapter that you've used to go from 800 to 400. When you daisy chain, it's always best to use the same protocol for all drives or devices. I've found the only exception to that was with SCSI devices.

OP
T
Reaction score
for any that are interested.. I figure it out.. it was drive formatting... the 800 was mac os extended (journalled) and the 400's were Fat 32...

changing the fat32 to mac os extended sorted it right out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.