PDA

View Full Version : Another way to Help our Kiwi friends

RavingMac
02-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Many New Zealand-based Mac and iOS developers are rallying to help the city of Christchurch following its recent devastating earthquake. NZ-based tech blog iPhonewzealand is the latest to join in these efforts.

The site's old iPhone app has been withdrawn from the App Store, and in its place is an updated app with access to news, comments, and forums on iPhonewzealand's site. iPhonewzealand focuses on local Kiwi developers and apps, too, so if you live in New Zealand and have an iPhone, this site and its app are a great resource.

Of particular interest to users outside of New Zealand, the app also contains iPhone carrier settings for New Zealand's mobile providers, streamlining the process of getting your iPhone working while you're visiting New Zealand.

The app is priced at US$1.99 (NZ$2.59) until the end of March. After Apple takes its 30 percent cut, all further proceeds go directly to the New Zealand Red Cross. In the wake of the recent earthquake in Christchurch, which sadly seems to be shaping up to be the worst natural disaster in New Zealand's history, every little bit of help counts. If you're in New Zealand and have an iPhone, this purchase is a no-brainer, and it's also a good purchase if you're an international iPhone user planning on visiting down here.

EDIT: One of the problems with using the iPad to post threads is it sometimes takes off on you. If one of the Mods could fix the thread title I would appreciate it.
Was supposed to say something like, "Another way to Help our Kiwi friends"

EDIT 2: Fixed. Thanks for the help. BTW: Forgot to mention the above is from TUAW

bobtomay
02-27-2011, 04:21 PM
The New Zealand developers donating 100% of their proceeds to the Red Cross effort in Christchurch until March 5th - at this time it's up to 31 apps.

(Note: They're not all iPhone/iPad apps. Found at least 1 developer donating everything through March 31st.)

bobtomay
02-27-2011, 04:58 PM
After looking at the apps, for those who would like to do a liitle something, a direct donation to the New Zealand Red Cross might be a better option - link (http://www.redcross.org.nz/cms_display.php)

(There are a few there actually donating proceeds. Not too clear how some of these developers giving away the proceeds only from their "free" apps are giving away anything, beside using this calamity as an advertisement of their paid versions. Pretty despicable imho.)

RavingMac
02-27-2011, 05:37 PM
After looking at the apps, for those who would like to do a liitle something, a direct donation to the New Zealand Red Cross might be a better option - link (http://www.redcross.org.nz/cms_display.php)

(There are a few there actually donating proceeds. Not too clear how some of these developers giving away the proceeds only from their "free" apps are giving away anything, beside using this calamity as an advertisement of their paid versions. Pretty despicable imho.)

I agree!

It is amazing how people will come out of the woodwork to take advantage. I do have to commend those, however, who are actually donating their profits.

bobtomay
02-27-2011, 05:41 PM

I do have to commend those, however, who are actually donating their profits.

ditto

Doug b
02-27-2011, 05:52 PM

Thanks for the link. I'd have rep'd you but it says I have to spread it around so... There's my verbal rep and thanks for that.

Doug

hughvane
02-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Being close to where it's all happening in Christchurch, may I add the following.

Should any M-F member feel moved to donate toward the huge cost of the three R's - Rescue, Recovery, Rebuilding [NZ is a small country of 4.36 M people, and Christchurch has a static population of about 350 000 only] - there is a way you can help.

Donate by credit card - if you are based overseas or New Zealand and would like to donate using your credit card, visit the official, secure credit card transaction donation facility at Donate to the Christchurch Earthquake Appeal : New Zealand Government (http://www.christchurchearthquakeappeal.govt.nz). [Note that it is an official government website (no scamming there).]

For any help you're willing to give - thank you.