PDA

View Full Version : A lot easier to stay in shape than to get back in shape!

Pages : [1] 2

RavingMac
02-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Twenty-five years and 70 pounds ago I belonged to a running club in Boston. Needless to so the years and reduced activity have taken their toll, plus last year was basically lost due to health issues.
Now, I'm trying to get back in shape and it isn't easy. Just finished five miles (barely). I know it will get easier, but that's hard to believe right about now. :P

Moss
02-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Stay positive! 5 miles is a big accomplishment, especially if you're starting to ease back into running. :) I also really enjoy biking, and if you've not given that a look, I'd recommend so. Easy on the knees, and a bit lower impact.

The fact that you were a runner back in the day ( ;) ) I hope that you know that you need to start of slow, so as to not risk any injury! Good luck, and good running!

pigoo3
02-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Hey...you're talking about one of my other "passions" (other than Macintosh computers)...competitive running. I'm known to run anywhere from 50-100 or more miles/week...and I usually run 2-3 marathons each year (among other race distances).

I did have an injury a while back which required me to stop running for a period of time (which certainly isn't the first time this has happened)...and thus I'm currently in the "getting back into shape" mode. And believe me...it takes me no time at all to slap on 5-10 pounds...and to notice a BIG decrease in my endurance & cardiovascular fitness!:(

From my "running expert" side of things...I hope that this 5 miles you just ran isn't the first workout you've done recently. 5 miles is too much to start out doing. Just too easy to get injured (shin splints especially)...and if you do too much too soon...and you suffer a lot doing it...you may lose motivation to keep it a regular activity.

If this is the start of a program to shed some of those pounds...good luck...stick with it...and those pounds will certainly come off (just don't be in too big a hurry to do it).:)

- Nick

Doug b
02-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Pffft.. You guys should see ME run...

To the Potato CHIPS ! Like the Flash I tell ya, the Flash!

:D

RavingMac
02-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Stay positive! 5 miles is a big accomplishment, especially if you're starting to ease back into running. :) I also really enjoy biking, and if you've not given that a look, I'd recommend so. Easy on the knees, and a bit lower impact . . .
Thanks for the encouragement.
I actually tried biking for a while but where I live narrow roads, pickup trucks and stray dogs combine to make biking both hazardous and less fun than it should be.

From my "running expert" side of things...I hope that this 5 miles you just ran isn't the first workout you've done recently. 5 miles is too much to start out doing. Just too easy to get injured (shin splints especially)...and if you do too much too soon...and you suffer a lot doing it...you may lose motivation to keep it a regular activity.

If this is the start of a program to shed some of those pounds...good luck...stick with it...and those pounds will certainly come off (just don't be in too big a hurry to do it).:)

- Nick
Nick,
I'm about three weeks into my program with Saturday being my long run day. Last week's long run was 3.1 miles, so trying to gradually build back up. Running 4 to 5 days a week, 1.5 to 2.5 miles a day with one longer run is what I am doing right now.
If I get my weight down I might try a race or two, but probably will be a 5 or 10K.
We'll see,
Mike

Pffft.. You guys should see ME run... To the Potato CHIPS ! Like the Flash I tell ya, the Flash!

LOL
I've too much running like that recently myself. :)

pigoo3
02-26-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm about three weeks into my program with Saturday being my long run day. Last week's long run was 3.1 miles, so trying to gradually build back up. Running 4 to 5 days a week, 1.5 to 2.5 miles a day with one longer run is what I am doing right now.
If I get my weight down I might try a race or two, but probably will be a 5 or 10K.

Ahh...sounds great that you're following a program. Much better than trying to figure things out yourself. Those 1.5-2.5 mile workouts during the week are certainly doable at this stage...5 miles as a weekend long run provides just enough challenge to keep things interesting, without too much injury risk...(and gives you a great feeling of accomplishment when done)!!!:)

Good luck with the program,

- Nick

RavingMac
02-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks

thekilierdonut
02-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Hey man, keep at it. I am a notorious yo-yo exerciser. I'll go religiously for six months or so, and then I'll get busy (I work a FT job, go to school FT, and do Army Reserve 1 weekend a month.) and quit going for a while. It's AMAZING how fast the human body gets out of shape, especially considering how hard it is to get INTO good shape. The best advice I can give is to never quit. The hard work is sooo worth it. And running is one of the most fun things in the world. I'm currently training for a half marathon here in Columbia :-)

BrianLachoreVPI
02-28-2011, 01:03 PM
I'm with you on this!! Seems every year near Christmas - I stop working out for some reason - either a lingering virus...or something - and then March comes - and it's like starting all over again. Every year older - it becomes that much more difficult to get back to where I was... but here goes nothing...again. :)

thekilierdonut
02-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Yeah man. I gotta start running and shed this beer gut! You can't be fat during the summer when you live in South Carolina :-D BEACH TIME!!!!!!!!

TattooedMac
02-28-2011, 01:28 PM
WOW You guys that find fun in running amaze me. I was fit in my army days doing a 5Klm run in 18:10 (my best time ever) and cant for the life of me do it now :(

Keep it up Razor bc once it is off it is easy to keep off IMHO . . . . . . . .

Its not the way i look within my body, bc if you ask me i look good ;P but 'knowing'
im unfit is what gets me. Has been 16 yrs since i have run/done anything and will pain me not being able to keep up with my boy in yrs to come . . . . . . .

Well done i envy you both :)

Cheers

RavingMac
02-28-2011, 02:32 PM
WOW You guys that find fun in running amaze me. . . ..

I honestly can't say much of it is fun right now, but trying to keep going! :P

TattooedMac
02-28-2011, 02:40 PM
I honestly can't say much of it is fun right now, but trying to keep going! :P

But you do enjoy running then once your up to peak ?? You would have to, to be in a running club. From knowing Nick is a marathon runner i know what running means to him and the feeling he gets from it, you would get the same ??

Sorry, just i was in the military and yes i was fit, but no i didnt enjoy getting/staying there. I loved my sports and basketball/cricket/AFL/Gridiron but i honestly hated doing all the fitness stuff to be able to play these sports (back to sorry part) and just wondering what running mile upon mile does too/for you.

I just could never see anything other than the benefit of being able to play my sports, and i like to analyse things as well lol

Cheers

RavingMac
02-28-2011, 02:50 PM
But you do enjoy running then once your up to peak ?? You would have to, to be in a running club. From knowing Nick is a marathon runner i know what running means to him and the feeling he gets from it, you would get the same ??

Sorry, just i was in the military and yes i was fit, but no i didnt enjoy getting/staying there. I loved my sports and basketball/cricket/AFL/Gridiron but i honestly hated doing all the fitness stuff to be able to play these sports (back to sorry part) and just wondering what running mile upon mile does too/for you.

I just could never see anything other than the benefit of being able to play my sports, and i like to analyse things as well lol

Cheers
True.
In the past, generally when I got to the point I could reasonably run 8 miles in less than an hour it became fun. And the faster and fitter I got the more I enjoyed it. I'm hoping that will be true again.

Right now though I am in the gutting it out and hoping it gets better soon mode. :)

TattooedMac
02-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Right now though I am in the gutting it out and hoping it gets better soon mode. :)

Nice thanks for that. Have fun then lol and hope you reach your goals sooner rather than later.
Should keep this thread as a diary of sorts and post your times over the months and then the world can see how ya doing. And if anything, it could be good motivation as you dont want to be looking like your slacking in front of the community lol

RavingMac
02-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Nice thanks for that. Have fun then lol and hope you reach your goals sooner rather than later.
Should keep this thread as a diary of sorts and post your times over the months and then the world can see how ya doing. And if anything, it could be good motivation as you dont want to be looking like your slacking in front of the community lol
I don't know how encouraging it would be to others . . . but would almost certainly prod me along.
I'll try for a while at least to post a weeks total mileage and time, and :Blushing: weight.

pigoo3
02-28-2011, 03:07 PM
WOW You guys that find fun in running amaze me.

I've been running for a long long time...and to be honest...I can't really say that it's fun (some days are just better than others). But you do get a great sense of accomplishment, it keeps the extra pounds off, and if you have a goal like running a race planned...that helps to keep you motivated.

But let me also mention (regarding fun)...that I'm VERY competitive with myself (and when I race)...so when I run each day...I always push myself right up to & beyond what would be considered a comfortable running pace. So if I ran at a more comfortable pace...the daily running could be more "fun"...or maybe "enjoyable" would be a better word.

Another aspect of "fun/enjoyment" when running...is finding other folks to run with. When you're able to run with other folks...it helps you forget about whatever may be ailing you, you don't always have to think about setting the pace, and some casual conversation also keeps your mind off the running. I do belong to a local running club, but individual schedules (many times) can still require a lot of "solo" running.

- Nick

pigoo3
02-28-2011, 03:16 PM
I'll try for a while at least to post a weeks total mileage and time, and :Blushing: weight.

I would be very interested to see how you progress (weekly mileage & weight loss)...BUT...I wouldn't want you to do this if it would (in some "weird" way)...but more pressure on you to succeed.

To be honest...you're going to have some weeks where you will have some setbacks. Maybe you:

- will miss a workout or two
- there may be a holiday or birthday one week where you may reward or "let yourself go" with some celebrating
- or your body may simply plateau for a period (from a weight loss perspective)...before you start losing weight again.

So post your results...but not if it will put extra pressure on you...or if you will feel extra "bad" if you have some less successful weeks.

In the long term...if you're consistent with the running...I guarantee...the weight will come off!!!:)

- Nick

RavingMac
02-28-2011, 03:30 PM
I've been running for a long long time...and to be honest...I can't really say that it's fun (some days are just better than others). But you do get a great sense of accomplishment, it keeps the extra pounds off, and if you have a goal like running a race planned...that helps to keep you motivated.

But let me also mention (regarding fun)...that I'm VERY competitive with myself (and when I race)...so when I run each day...I always push myself right up to & beyond what would be considered a comfortable running pace. So if I ran at a more comfortable pace...the daily running could be more "fun"...or maybe "enjoyable" would be a better word.

Another aspect of "fun/enjoyment" when running...is finding other folks to run with. When you're able to run with other folks...it helps you forget about whatever may be ailing you, you don't always have to think about setting the pace, and some casual conversation also keeps your mind off the running. I do belong to a local running club, but individual schedules (many times) can still require a lot of "solo" running.

- Nick

I understand that "competitive" part. Have a strong tendancy to try and set a new PR (at least for current season) each time I go out, so I make a strong effort not to watch the clock as I run.
Having a club to run with would be great, one of the main things I miss from Boston. Unfortunately the closest running club I am aware of is in Little Rock (about 30 miles north of me), so it is generally run solo or not at all.

I will try the posts for a while. It might be interesting and I doubt if it will make me push harder than I otherwise would, but may help keep me consistent. :)

pigoo3
02-28-2011, 03:38 PM
I understand that "competitive" part. Have a strong tendancy to try and set a new PR (at least for current season) each time I go out, so I make a strong effort not to watch the clock as I run.

Yes...EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I mostly try to run by "feel"...but I still check my watch occasionally to see how I'm doing.

I have a Garmin 301 GPS watch where I have data fields set for average pace, per mile pace, etc. So I usually have a very good idea where I should be from an intensity perspective on any given workout, on a given workout distance, and on a given workout course (hilly vs. flat).

Some days things go according to plan, sometimes better, and of course there are the REALLY sucky days!;)

- Nick

RavingMac
02-28-2011, 03:47 PM
I have a Garmin 301 GPS watch where I have data fields set for average pace, per mile pace, etc.

I got the Garmin 305 primarily because I have the chest band and can monitor my heart rate. It was at my wife's insistence. I'll turn 58 this summer and she wasn't keen on me hitting the pavement without a monitor to keep track of how I am doing.
I try to run by how it feels, but check the pulse from time to time and if it edges up to 160 I back off.

pigoo3
02-28-2011, 04:14 PM
I got the Garmin 305 primarily because I have the chest band and can monitor my heart rate. It was at my wife's insistence. I'll turn 58 this summer and she wasn't keen on me hitting the pavement without a monitor to keep track of how I am doing.
I try to run by how it feels, but check the pulse from time to time and if it edges up to 160 I back off.

Sorry I made a mistake. I have the Garmin 305 as well (got my model numbers mixed up)...and I also use the heart rate monitor strap.

Regarding HR...yeah I'm sure by now you probably have a pretty good idea/association of what your HR is at a given running intensity. The great thing is (since you're just getting back into running)...you will improve by "leaps & bounds" as you get more fit, and as the pounds come off.

Let's face it...you will only get faster & your HR lower at the same paces as you get fitter & the weight comes off.:) Tracking your HR (resting HR & workout HR) is a very good idea...for both a measure of fitness & in some cases safety.

The Garmin 305 (as you may know) has TONS of features...and if you wanted to...you can set a "max HR" limit you don't want to exceed...and if you do...an alarm will go off prompting you to slow down.

I've actually done this (from a performance perspective) where I set a "minimum HR" where the alarm goes off (to make sure I don't run too slow)...but when you run hills it will go off (as you naturally run slower up a hill)...so I got tired of listening to the thing beeping...so I don't use this feature too much.

But I would think that it would be VERY useful for someone to use if they didn't want to exceed a specific HR (such as 160 bpm as you mentioned) from safety perspective.

There's a VERY inaccurate formula out there (actually there's a couple) that tries to predict a person's maximum HR based on age. The formula is 220-age = max. HR.

I know many folks where this formula doesn't work. Of course (statistically) it does work for some folks...but I think this is more coincidence than fact. What I'm trying to say is...typically it's a good idea to get a stress test before starting a workout program to get a better idea where your maximum HR is (which does decrease with age)...so that when you run, you're not running at too high of a % of max. HR.

If you used this formula...220-58=162 max HR. So when you hit 160bpm when running...you're at 98.8% of your max. HR...according to the formula (which I'm going to say is not likely)...since you could probably run a lot faster at that point...if you wanted or needed to (thus exceeding your predicted max. HR).

A good "% HR of max." to stay below for a person just starting a workout program is probably around 60-70%. Then as you get more fit you can play around with running at a higher intensity.

Based on my experience (knowing a lot of other folks personal "max HR" and their age)...an HR of 160bpm for a 58 year-old male may be exceeding 60-70% of max. HR. Just something to think about based on how you feel when you hit 160bpm while running.

- Nick

RavingMac
02-28-2011, 05:09 PM
The Garmin 305 (as you may know) has TONS of features...and if you wanted to...you can set a "max HR" limit you don't want to exceed...and if you do...an alarm will go off prompting you to slow down. . . .

I actually didn't know that. Will have to dig out the manual and set it up.

There's a VERY inaccurate formula out there (actually there's a couple) that tries to predict a person's maximum HR based on age. The formula is 220-age = max. HR. . . . . A good "% HR of max." to stay below for a person just starting a workout program is probably around 60-70%. Then as you get more fit you can play around with running at a higher intensity. . . Just something to think about based on how you feel when you hit 160bpm while running.

- Nick

My actual Max appears to be 180 or so (or at least it was last year before sinus surgery knocked me out for the duration). When I did speed work I would peak between 170 and 175, with a couple of times reaching 177. I could still walk and talk (sort of) afterwards, so I hadn't hit cardiac arrest levels. Normal resting is 60 to 64. I generally feel comfortable up to about 140, at which point I begin to feel the stress.

toMACsh
02-28-2011, 09:46 PM
There are lots of other ways to get adequate exercise besides running.

RavingMac
02-28-2011, 10:30 PM

True. . . . . ..

For anyone who is interested here is a summary of what I have done so far. I didnt do an average time but most of the runs are in the 9:00 to 10:30 per mile range

Week 1: Starting Wt - 225lbs, 6.3 miles
Week 2: 8.7 miles
Week 3: 11.2 miles
Week 4: Starting Wt - 219lbs, 4.2 miles thru today (current week)

pigoo3
02-28-2011, 11:30 PM

This is true...but running is one of the most efficient methods of exercising when you factor in:

- calories burned/hour
- ease of getting the workout started
- minimal time it takes to start a workout

Other workout types:

* swimming burns more calories/hour
* cycling burns fewer calories/hour

...but each of these workout types can be more of a hassle in terms of equipment...and or time it takes to get ready for a workout.

For example...let's say you're sitting at home on a Saturday...and you do your workout at 3pm in the afternoon:

1. If you want to do a swimming workout...you have to drive to a health club (where you have a membership), a YMCA, etc. where there is a pool to swim in. Thus you waste time driving to & from the pool.

2. If you do a cycling workout...you have to change into all of the cycling clothing, get your bike ready (check tire pressure, fill water bottle, etc.)...then do the workout (assuming it's not too cold for some folks, or it's not snowy or icy outside). And remember that cycling doesn't burn as many calories/hour as running...so you have to workout longer (more minutes) to burn the same calories as running.

3. If you do a running workout...it takes very little time to change into your running clothing, you can leave right from your homes front door, and you can certainly run in conditions (cold, snow, ice) that 95% of people wouldn't ride their bikes in.

Of course there are other ways to do workouts & burn calories...but I'm focusing on running, cycling, and swimming...because they are three workouts that you get a good cardiovascular workout. You could also do...aerobics, P-90X type workouts...etc.

- cycling is expensive...lots of equipment & in many climates you can't cycle 365 days/year
- swimming or aerobics you probably need some sort of health club membership (which can really add up)...plus you have to waste time driving to & from the health club.

Running is a nice balance between calories burned, ease of getting the workout done, and amount of time used before, during, and after the workout.

But the bottom line is...you have to do something that you enjoy doing (that you can stick with)...or that works for you from a scheduling standpoint or financial standpoint. If you don't like what you're doing...you won't keep doing it.

BUT...the problem is...if a workout is done correctly (good intensity level)...all workouts can be hard. That's why most people cannot stick with a workout program...it's just so much more fun & easy to sit on the couch, watch TV, and eat a bag of Cheeto's.;)

- Nick

p.s. Walking can also be a good way to get in a workout...but you burn so few calories/hour...that you really have to workout for a long time each day to burn significant calories. And you really don't get a good cardio workout walking (as compared to swimming cycling, running).

p.p.s. I'm also looking at this from the "weight losing perspective". If someone is already at a good healthy weight...and is just trying to maintain their weight...then other workout types may work fine.

toMACsh
03-01-2011, 02:10 PM
p.p.s. I'm also looking at this from the "weight losing perspective". If someone is already at a good healthy weight...and is just trying to maintain their weight...then other workout types may work fine.

Yep. That's me. I walk, lift weights, do push-ups, sit-ups, leg lifts, "crunches", "squats", deep knee bends, and always take the stairs!

pigoo3
03-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Yep. That's me. I walk, lift weights, do push-ups, sit-ups, leg lifts, "crunches", "squats", deep knee bends, and always take the stairs!

At the "end of the day" (in my humble opinion)...any workout program is a good workout program!:)

- Nick

TattooedMac
03-01-2011, 02:29 PM
You are all "mad" i say "Mad" lol

I suppose i would be in a different frame of mind if i wasnt so broken. Work and bush walking with my son is all i can handle, bu keeps me looking good enough. Honestly wish i could be fitter though. Gym will be calling soon.
Keep it up and look forward to following your progress Razor . . . .

I must admit when i saw the
Week 1: Starting Wt - 225lbs, 6.3 miles
Week 2: 8.7 miles
Week 3: 11.2 miles
Week 4: Starting Wt - 219lbs, 4.2 miles thru today (current week) i said to my self, harden up that isnt much, Then being 58yrs changes that, and it clicked a miles is half more again than a Kilometre lol Big difference :)

Cheers

RavingMac
03-01-2011, 02:36 PM
I must admit when i saw the i said to my self, harden up that isnt much, Then being 58yrs changes that, and it clicked a miles is half more again than a Kilometre lol Big difference :)

Cheers
That is actually the hardest part to get past because I still remember running 60 miles a week at considerably faster than 9 to 10 minutes a mile. Of course I was a lot younger and lighter.
Still this is where I am and where I have to start . . . wish I could go faster and farther, but that will have to wait.

I will keep posting as long as anybody is interested because I am finding that it does encourage me if no one else. :)

TattooedMac
03-01-2011, 02:38 PM
I will keep posting as long as anybody is interested because I am finding that it does encourage me if no one else. :)

Thats good and i thought as much . . . . . Good luck and safe running :)

RavingMac
03-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Week 4: Starting Wt - 219lbs, ending Wt - 218

12.4 miles total

pigoo3
03-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Keep it up. All progress is good progress.:)

It's currently 5pm, rainy, and chilly at my location...and I'm having a big debate whether to workout today!:(

- Nick

TattooedMac
03-05-2011, 06:14 PM

12.4 miles total

What do you think to yourself getting -1 lbs over a 12.4 mile week ?? Is this within your expectations or where you hoping for more? To me seems like nothing putting it into my natural tongue that equates to around 450grms.
Not dissing you or anything here mate im am honestly curious . . . . .

I, the sort of person that sits in a crowd and just looks at people. I like to try analyse them, and i believe in just watching them act in a natural setting you can get a idea of what sort of person they are lol Not in a creepy sort of way but i just like to know how/why some people think . . . . . . Honesty i suppose is really such a personal thing as well, and people think if they answer honestly that they are getting invaded. Hence IMO why people lie. Not so much as to hide the truth but to hide themselves from others :)

Cheers

EDIT : And i have to admit finding how others deals with things is information for me. Over the years i have compiled a list of peoples *thing that work for them* to a certain ailment/injury I like the exotic and weird things people do to relieve themselves of certain things :)

pigoo3
03-05-2011, 06:41 PM
What do you think to yourself getting -1 lbs over a 12.4 mile week ?? Is this within your expectations or where you hoping for more? To me seems like nothing putting it into my natural tongue that equates to around 450grms.

453.6 grams to be exact!;)

It's actually pretty hard to lose 1 pound (453.6g) of body fat. 1 pound of body fat contains about 3500 calories. So to lose 1 pound of body fat you have to do it via diet, exercise, or both. There are calculators out there to more accurately determine this...but roughly speaking...the average sized person burns about 100 calories per mile run (more for larger folks, less for smaller).

Technically it would take about 35 miles of running to lose 1 pound of body fat. But it gets more complex. Technically speaking if a person isn't running/exercising...and were simply sitting watching TV...your body naturally burns 70-90 calories per hour.

So if a person takes 10 minutes to run a mile (thus burning roughly 100 calories)...they would have burned approximately 13 calories just sitting for the same 10 minute period. So 100 - 13 = 87 net calories burned "to the positive" for weight loss purposes.

I would say losing 1 pound in a week via 12.7 miles run + some diet cutbacks is pretty good.:)

- Nick

p.s. Of course this weight loss can be a combination of exercise & diet...so you could run/exercise less + some calorie reduction from a persons diet = weight loss.

TattooedMac
03-05-2011, 07:20 PM
453.6 grams to be exact!;)

Forgive me ;P

I would say losing 1 pound in a week via 12.7 miles run + some diet cutbacks is pretty good.:)

Thanks for the breakdown of the complexities of it all.

Mind you i wasnt saying it was god or bad, more was questioning why which you have now provided me with the guts of it ......

On the above 453.6 grams with the way you broke it down, i can see for people in your sport the exactness of it all is a big thing and not sure what but it looks like it could come down to 100ths/1000ths of a gram.

Now that takes commitment :)

Cheers

pigoo3
03-05-2011, 07:31 PM
On the above 453.6 grams with the way you broke it down, i can see for people in your sport the exactness of it all is a big thing and not sure what but it looks like it could come down to 100ths/1000ths of a gram.
I was only being "super duper" technical...just in case there were some folks out there reading this thread that like more detail.

I also (on a day to day basis) deal with a lot of non-metric to metric conversions (weights, volumes, distances, etc.)...so I have a lot of the conversion factors memorized...such as 453.6g = 1.0 U.S. lb.;)

- Nick

RavingMac
03-05-2011, 07:50 PM
I look at it this way, if I can plug away and lose even a 1/2 pound a week, over a years time that's 26 pounds.
So, it adds up. The real trick is keeping at it and not giving up (which is real tempting sometimes). :)

EDIT: And, yes, at this stage I expect to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week.

EDIT2: And thanks to the both of you for the encouragement. It helps.

It was cold and windy here today, Nick, so I can understand the debate about working out. :)

RavingMac
03-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Yesterday was planned to be a rest day for me (as far as running goes) but the weather turned off beautiful, the first really nice day in about a week. I ended up going out for a 2.8 mile run and while I can't say I enjoyed it I did pretty well.
Hopefully, if things continue like this I will be able to up my long runs to ~8 miles soon, which will make the shorter runs feel that much easier. :)

RavingMac
03-09-2011, 08:59 PM

15.2 miles total

I have started using an online Running Log (runningahead.com) and their grouping for a week is different from what I was doing. I've been posting from my manual data keeping, but it is easier just to convert and use their's.
Hence the update. Any future will be taken from their record.

roflitskyle
03-09-2011, 09:03 PM

15.2 miles total

I have started using an online Running Log (runningahead.com) and their grouping for a week is different from what I was doing. I've been posting from my manual data keeping, but it is easier just to convert and use their's.
Hence the update. Any future will be taken from their record.

Keep going! Good luck :D

- Kyle

RavingMac
03-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Keep going! Good luck :D

- Kyle

Thanks!

Doug b
03-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Getting a great workout as I type this.. Large Pizza Pie with fresh garlic, red pepper and onions. MMMMMM! (sharing of course)

Oh and... keep it up !

Doug

RavingMac
03-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Getting a great workout as I type this.. Large Pizza Pie with fresh garlic, red pepper and onions. MMMMMM! (sharing of course)

Oh and... keep it up !

Doug

I can almost smell it!
The older I get the more convinced I am that pizza is one of the essential food groups. :)

roflitskyle
03-10-2011, 02:53 AM
I can almost smell it!
The older I get the more convinced I am that pizza is one of the essential food groups. :)

Pizza, has to be one of the most important food. Ever.

- Kyle

Doug b
03-11-2011, 01:58 AM
I can almost smell it!

And beer. Don't forget the BEER !

TattooedMac
03-11-2011, 02:14 AM
And beer. Don't forget the BEER !

Dont ever forget BEER !!!!

CrimsonRequiem
03-11-2011, 05:58 AM
Pizza and beer is like staple food around here. :P Always have it on hand.

I don't think I was ever in shape to begin with, but I did run 5 miles everyday before school for a year. Wasn't kind on the knees so I switched to swimming. Now my thighs are 20% bigger than what they were originally and I can barely fit into my skinny jeans. >_>" Does wonders for my gluteus maximums though. :D

RavingMac
03-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Pizza and beer is like staple food around here. :P Always have it on hand.

I don't think I was ever in shape to begin with, but I did run 5 miles everyday before school for a year. Wasn't kind on the knees so I switched to swimming. Now my thighs are 20% bigger than what they were originally and I can barely fit into my skinny jeans. >_>" Does wonders for my gluteus maximums though. :D

That's where beer really helps. It adds weight out front to balance all the additional muscle.

As an aside, my youngest went to Geneva late last year and asked if I would like her to bring me anything back. Thanks to her, I have a fliptop (ceramic and rubber washer cam seal) sitting in my fridge awaiting a special occaision. :)

RavingMac
03-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Week 4: Starting Wt - 218 lbs, ending Wt - 218

16.9 miles total

No weight loss this week, but I'm tightening up so I figure muscle gain is offsetting fat loss (or at least thats what I tell myself :) )

pigoo3
03-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Week 4: Starting Wt - 218 lbs, ending Wt - 218

16.9 miles total

No weight loss this week, but I'm tightening up so I figure muscle gain is offsetting fat loss (or at least thats what I tell myself :) )

Thanks for the update. Yeah...I was going to say the same thing about the weight loss this week (muscle weighs more than the other stuff)!;)

Looks like the weekly mileage has increased a little this week as well!:)

Way to go...keep it up!

- Nick

RavingMac
03-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks!

RavingMac
03-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Week 4: Starting Wt - 218 lbs, ending Wt - ?

8.6 miles total

Mileage down because of travel. My weight is probably up from eating like a pig! :\
Between the corned beef, bagels and beer I figure I gained back a pound or so, will see at my next weigh in. Oh well, I enjoyed it. ;D

RavingMac
03-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Week 7: Starting Wt - ??, ending Wt - 217

20.2 miles total

Looks like I am back on track after a challenging week due to travel and gluttony. ;)

schweb
03-27-2011, 03:01 PM
I've always been jealous of people that run, I've never been able to get into it since no matter what I tried, I always get shin splints.

I was a swimmer most of my life through up through undergrad and now I mostly cycle when I can. My shins probably aren't used to much impact so that might be part of the issue.

RavingMac
03-27-2011, 03:13 PM
I've always been jealous of people that run, I've never been able to get into it since no matter what I tried, I always get shin splints.

I was a swimmer most of my life through up through undergrad and now I mostly cycle when I can. My shins probably aren't used to much impact so that might be part of the issue.

I tried cycling and liked it, but where I live you have to have a death wish to do a lot of it. No road margins and pickup trucks that don't feel obligated to share the road with human powered transport. :P

pigoo3
03-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Week 7: Starting Wt - ??, ending Wt - 217

20.2 miles total

Looks like I am back on track after a challenging week due to travel and gluttony. ;)

Very nice! Great to see you back on track...and congrats on "cracking" the 20 mile weekly total.:)

- Nick

RavingMac
03-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Very nice! Great to see you back on track...and congrats on "cracking" the 20 mile weekly total.:)

- Nick

Thanks, Nick.
My long run is up to about 7 miles, which helps a lot.

schweb
03-27-2011, 03:17 PM
I tried cycling and liked it, but where I live you have to have a death wish to do a lot of it. No road margins and pickup trucks that don't feel obligated to share the road with human powered transport. :P

Yeah, we're lucky here. We have a system of parks that ring the city for about 80 miles all together. Really pretty to ride in and there are separate trails from the main road. Not that I ride the whole 80 miles. :)

RavingMac
03-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Yeah, we're lucky here. We have a system of parks that ring the city for about 80 miles all together. Really pretty to ride in and there are separate trails from the main road. Not that I ride the whole 80 miles. :)
That is really awsome!
If it wasn't for the snow and ice I would be really tempted to move north and join you.

wavinwayne
03-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Avid cyclist here. Former mountain bike racer, turned roadie, although I still ride the mountain bike. Since I started riding road bikes in '06, I've ridden over 10K miles. This past week, I rode just over 75 miles on the road bike, and 20 miles on the mountain bike. If I didn't do some sort of exercise, I would go crazy.

All that said, I still struggle with my weight, since I like to eat. I could stand to lose a good 30 lbs, but it's probably never going to happen. As long as I stay active, I don't worry too much about my weight.

FWIW, here's a couple pics of my bikes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/wavinwayne/Bike%20Pics/DSCF0063.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/wavinwayne/Bike%20Pics/2008EllsworthTruth2.jpg

pigoo3
03-27-2011, 04:03 PM
This past week, I rode just over 75 miles on the road bike, and 20 miles on the mountain bike. If I didn't do some sort of exercise, I would go crazy.

All that said, I still struggle with my weight, since I like to eat. I could stand to lose a good 30 lbs, but it's probably never going to happen. As long as I stay active, I don't worry too much about my weight.

If you want to lose those 30 pounds...start running!;) I've been both a competitive cyclist (had my USCF license for years) & a competitive runner for a lonnggg time...so I know the pluses & minus's very well for both activities.

Now don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to get into a debate over which sport is better or anything like that.:) But when it comes to cycling & burning calories...it's a heck of a lot easier to "cheat" when riding a bike. On a bike you can coast, you can use a really easy gear...but when you run there's no cheating. If a cyclist is very focused...keeps their heart rate up, rides in the proper gear, doesn't coast on down hills or flats...then cycling is definitely a great workout (without the pounding of running).

As far as equivalent workout miles (running vs. cycling) for burning calories for weight loss purposes ...the conversion factor varies from source to source. In this article (linked below) they put the conversion factor at 3.55 to 1 (need to cycle 3.55 miles for every 1 mile run):

How Many Miles Cycling Equals Miles Running? (http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/8841.html)

Remember...intensity is the key. A 150lb. person burns approximately 110 calories/mile when running (time/distance relationship). To get the same intensity as a cyclist...you need to be averaging around 15mph. If your average speed is less than this...then you burn fewer calories...and the mileage conversion factor increases from 3.55 to 1...to something higher...like 4 to 1, 4.5 to 1, etc.

Both activities are great ways to get a workout...so I'm not "knocking" either one!:) But with running...you burn more calories/minute (so less time to burn the same number of calories)...and with running there's no "cheating" (no way you can coast when running)!;)

But as an LONG TIME avid runner...I would have no problem saying that cycling is more fun!!:)

- Nick

wavinwayne
03-27-2011, 04:09 PM
I would love to be able to run, but I have a genetic defect in one leg that makes any impact sport extremely painful. That's why I've been a cyclist for so long.

schweb
03-27-2011, 04:11 PM
If you really want to lose weight, the best aerobic exercise for burning calories is swimming. :) I mean just look up what some of the olympic swimmers have to eat in a day just to get enough calories. It makes' iWhat's diet of Little Debbie snacks look healthy

pigoo3
03-27-2011, 04:29 PM
If you really want to lose weight, the best aerobic exercise for burning calories is swimming. :)

You're absolutely right schweb!!!:) Calories burned/hour (highest to lowest)...swimming, running, cycling. Just like with running...there's no way to "cheat" while swimming...if you do...you drown (assuming a deep pool)!;) Even treading water burns a good number of calories.

My problem with swimming is...it's a big hassle to get to/from a pool (time lost driving to/from the pool)...time it takes to get to a locker, change, shower...etc. Otherwise...swimming is a great way to burn calories!:)

- Nick

pigoo3
03-27-2011, 04:36 PM
I would love to be able to run, but I have a genetic defect in one leg that makes any impact sport extremely painful. That's why I've been a cyclist for so long.

I see...got it!:)

If you're interesting in trying to burn more calories while cycling (lose some extra pounds)...get yourself a heart rate monitor. This way you can track your HR at any point in a workout, or your average HR for the whole workout. The higher the average HR...the harder you worked during the workout.

Then you can start setting goals. For instance...if you have a favorite 10 mile cycling route that you do often...maybe you averaged 140bpm (beats/min) last week...this week you could try to average a higher HR. Of course you can do this with a stopwatch as well (faster/shorter time for the same route = more intense workout). With an HR monitor...you can learn where your best aerobic "zone" is...and then try to stay within that zone during the whole workout)...hills, flats, and downhills...no coasting!;)

Also...no drafting just in case you may be riding with a group of riders.;)

- Nick

iWhat
03-27-2011, 05:51 PM
If you really want to lose weight, the best aerobic exercise for burning calories is swimming. :) I mean just look up what some of the olympic swimmers have to eat in a day just to get enough calories. It makes' iWhat's diet of Little Debbie snacks look healthy

Well, someone's got to eat those Nutty Bars, they aren't going to eat themselves. I'm the only one in the house that can eat them and not get a blubber butt to show for it.

CrimsonRequiem
03-27-2011, 06:31 PM
If you want to lose those 30 pounds...start running!;) I've been both a competitive cyclist (had my USCF license for years) & a competitive runner for a lonnggg time...so I know the pluses & minus's very well for both activities.

Now don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to get into a debate over which sport is better or anything like that.:) But when it comes to cycling & burning calories...it's a heck of a lot easier to "cheat" when riding a bike. On a bike you can coast, you can use a really easy gear...but when you run there's no cheating. If a cyclist is very focused...keeps their heart rate up, rides in the proper gear, doesn't coast on down hills or flats...then cycling is definitely a great workout (without the pounding of running).

As far as equivalent workout miles (running vs. cycling) for burning calories for weight loss purposes ...the conversion factor varies from source to source. In this article (linked below) they put the conversion factor at 3.55 to 1 (need to cycle 3.55 miles for every 1 mile run):

How Many Miles Cycling Equals Miles Running? (http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/8841.html)

Remember...intensity is the key. A 150lb. person burns approximately 110 calories/mile when running (time/distance relationship). To get the same intensity as a cyclist...you need to be averaging around 15mph. If your average speed is less than this...then you burn fewer calories...and the mileage conversion factor increases from 3.55 to 1...to something higher...like 4 to 1, 4.5 to 1, etc.

Both activities are great ways to get a workout...so I'm not "knocking" either one!:) But with running...you burn more calories/minute (so less time to burn the same number of calories)...and with running there's no "cheating" (no way you can coast when running)!;)

But as an LONG TIME avid runner...I would have no problem saying that cycling is more fun!!:)

- Nick

You can cheat it's called walking. :P

RavingMac
04-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Week 8: Starting Wt - 217, ending Wt - 217

11.2 miles total

Mileage is down this week. Started with traveling to an out of town funeral. Then compounded by being sick today (my normal long run day). Was going to run anyway, but my wife prevailed upon me to be reasonable. ;P

TattooedMac
04-03-2011, 04:27 PM
Your still doing ok though. Keep it up.

Those wives know best and good to see you heeded her instructions lol

pigoo3
04-03-2011, 04:33 PM

11.2 miles total

Mileage is down this week. Started with traveling to an out of town funeral. Then compounded by being sick today (my normal long run day). Was going to run anyway, but my wife prevailed upon me to be reasonable. ;P

Staying consistent with the training is what is key. Too bad about being sick & not being able to do the long run. Always a judgement call whether to run or not when sick.

Hopefully you will recover soon...and be able to train normally.:)

- Nick

iWhat
04-03-2011, 04:35 PM

11.2 miles total

Just pin the new MF - MOTM badge to your shirt, you'll make up the mileage in no time.

RavingMac
04-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Staying consistent with the training is what is key. Too bad about being sick & not being able to do the long run. Always a judgement call whether to run or not when sick.

Hopefully you will recover soon...and be able to train normally.:)

- Nick

I normally run 5 days out of 7. Today was supposed to be the 5th day so I wasn't doing all that bad other than a couple of runs were shorter than I planned.
Being reasonable is not normal with me, but my wife is a big help (maybe I can sneak out later for a quick run). :Smirk:

RavingMac
04-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Just pin the new MF - MOTM badge to your shirt, you'll make up the mileage in no time.

I thought the idea was to run naked? :)

I guess I'll have to pin it to my hat instead. :D

schweb
04-03-2011, 05:09 PM
I thought the idea was to run naked? :)

I guess I'll have to pin it to my hat instead. :D

Whoa....TMI

RavingMac
04-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Your still doing ok though. Keep it up.

Those wives know best and good to see you heeded her instructions lol

Thanks, Brent.

As if I really have a choice . . . .. ;P

RavingMac
04-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Whoa....TMI

You're right. I guess I shouldn't inflict that on the world. :)

Mishy
04-03-2011, 08:35 PM
I totally agree, i fell out of shape when i injured my knee back in 04 and i just never got back in shape. I didnt get fat or anything but now im just in that "normal" range

RavingMac
04-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Week 9: Starting Wt - 217, ending Wt - 216

20.1 miles total

Mileage back up this week. And I actually did a little speed work. Short run of 2.4 miles, but 0.4 miles of it was sub six minute per mile. :)

pigoo3
04-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Week 9: Starting Wt - 217, ending Wt - 216

20.1 miles total

Mileage back up this week. And I actually did a little speed work. Short run of 2.4 miles, but 0.4 miles of it was sub six minute per mile. :)

Looks like some great news this week (over 20 for the week, lost a pound, and some faster mileage)!!:)

- Nick

swimm3r137
04-11-2011, 12:03 AM
What is the healthiest way to exercise? I have heard that running is terrible for your knees, disregarding cardiovascular benefits and calories burned. Is this true? How do you run correctly and protect your knees and the rest of your body incase anything else is damaged???

6string
04-11-2011, 01:15 AM
What is the healthiest way to exercise? I have heard that running is terrible for your knees, disregarding cardiovascular benefits and calories burned. Is this true? How do you run correctly and protect your knees and the rest of your body incase anything else is damaged???

Good runners (shoes) and a good running surface, warm up and cool down with plenty of stretching.
As your name implies, swimming, this is the best exercise, second to that, cycling.
If you really want the healthiest exercise, a nice mix of martial arts, swimming, yoga, surfing, and weight resistance exercise.

This is a blend of aerobic and anaerobic exercise.

The idea is to work on your joints, tendons, ligaments, and muscles,
including your heart muscle, as well as a good diet.

Just to fill you in on aerobic and anaerobic.

Aerobic fitness. This is to do with the improving the bodies oxygen consumption and efficiency, i.e how long you can exercise before you run out of breath. examples of aerobic exercising is running, swimming, rowing, etc

Anaerobic exercise is exercise intense enough to trigger anaerobic metabolism. It is used by athletes in non-endurance sports to build power and by body builders to build muscle mass. examples are weightlifting, Sprinting, etc

Kickboxing is a good example of something that is an aerobic exercise, as well as an anaerobic exercise.

I could go on for hours about all this, but you get the gist :)

RavingMac
04-11-2011, 09:35 AM

I agree with what 6String posted.

IMNSHO the bottomline answer is the healthiest exercise is one you will continue to do and doesn't injure you while doing it.

Some people have joint (especially knee problems) from running. It has never been an issue for me so I run. Swimming is a great way to exercise, providing you have access to a pool or large body of water--I have neither, but live a 1/4 mile from a park with 1.5 mile loop around the lakes.

Cycling is great (I tried it) but pickup trucks and large unrestrained dogs takes much of the joy out of that.

Really, it comes down to knowing your own body and making the best use of resources and time available to pick something you can do, and then do it. :)

pigoo3
04-11-2011, 10:19 AM
What is the healthiest way to exercise? I have heard that running is terrible for your knees...

I've heard a lot of things as well...many of them not true. One thing is a fact...if you need to lose some weight...not exercising at all is definitely bad for you!

- Nick

RavingMac
04-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Week 10: Starting Wt - 216, ending Wt - 214

23.1 miles total

Lost two pounds this week. Not really sure why, may have been cutting back more at the table than I thought. ;D

Did some speed work. Short run of 2.6 miles, but 6 x 0.1 miles at six minute per mile pace. :)

pigoo3
04-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Way to go...sounds like you had a great week!:)

- Nick

roflitskyle
04-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Nice! Your doing great, keep it up.

- Kyle

RavingMac
04-17-2011, 11:55 PM
Thanks, guys!

6string
04-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Hey Mate, well done!
If losing weight is a priority, keep in mind that speeding up the metabolism is a must.
More meals (5+ daily) of smaller portions, easy on the carbs, and weight bearing exercise as lean muscle mass not only burns fat, but also speeds up the metabolism.

RavingMac
04-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Week 11: Starting Wt - 214, ending Wt - 214

17.0 miles total

Down week on mileage. We had several days of thunderstorms, and while I will run in the rain if I have to, I don't do thunderstorms. ;P

BrianLachoreVPI
04-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Nice to see you still motivated and doing well. :) Pretty sure I could start my own thread that would unfortunately chart the inverse of what you're accomplishing - at least since Dec. :(

RavingMac
04-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Nice to see you still motivated and doing well. :) Pretty sure I could start my own thread that would unfortunately chart the inverse of what you're accomplishing - at least since Dec. :(

That could be interesting!
What specifically would be a chart of inverse running? ;)

BrianLachoreVPI
04-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Hehe - hmmmm....hours spent in a chair that might have previously been spent running or usually cycling? I was specifically referring to .lbs :Angry-Tongue:

pigoo3
04-24-2011, 04:30 PM

17.0 miles total

Down week on mileage. We had several days of thunderstorms, and while I will run in the rain if I have to, I don't do thunderstorms. ;P

I think that you're doing great...and the most important thing is staying consistent. Way to go...keep it up!:)

- Nick

RavingMac
04-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks, Nick.
I appreciate the encouragement.

EDIT:
to 6String, ref your comment on weight bearing exercise: right now running means a considerable amount of weight bearing. ;D
At my current weight it's like running in combat boots with a full back pack.

CrimsonRequiem
04-24-2011, 05:59 PM

17.0 miles total

Aww you are no fun. I run in thunderstorms with my iPod. :P Of course there aren't that many thunderstorms in SoCal. >_<"

pigoo3
04-24-2011, 07:46 PM
We had several days of thunderstorms, and while I will run in the rain if I have to, I don't do thunderstorms. ;P

Yeah...if it's thunder-storming before a workout I "generally" won't go out in it. But if I'm in the middle of a workout...and it starts thunder-storming...not much you can do but just keep running (when you're in the middle of nowhere).

I know how the weather can be in the Southern US (used to live in Georgia for a while) when it starts getting warmer...you usually get one of those thunderstorms almost everyday in the late afternoon...so running in the morning is better (cooler & less thunderstorms).:)

- Nick

TattooedMac
04-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Hey you are doing well Razor 'ole mate.
Because of my own injuries (Back, Knees, Ankles and shoulder all stuffed) i cant do a great deal of physical activity, but i just got a boxing bag and skip rope and **** thats a good workout. Dropped a KG and 2 days lol Very Aerobic for me. Best part for me is i dont have to leave my house for it . . . and as my 7yr old told me. Daddy you have big pecks made me LMAO haha

Keep it up mate, being consistent is working out for you :)

RavingMac
04-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Hey you are doing well Razor 'ole mate.
Because of my own injuries (Back, Knees, Ankles and shoulder all stuffed) i cant do a great deal of physical activity, but i just got a boxing bag and skip rope and **** thats a good workout. Dropped a KG and 2 days lol Very Aerobic for me. Best part for me is i dont have to leave my house for it . . . and as my 7yr old told me. Daddy you have big pecks made me LMAO haha

Keep it up mate, being consistent is working out for you :)

Thanks, Brent

Actually, boxing and skipping rope is pretty hard to beat as exercise.

dero
04-24-2011, 08:29 PM
OK, was out for the first time this year on my Mountain Bike... Man my butt is sore!!! :'( I did 15 Klm.
It's like that every year, hurts so good. :Evil:

RavingMac
04-24-2011, 08:33 PM
OK, was out for the first time this year on my Mountain Bike... Man my butt is sore!!! :'( I did 15 Klm.
It's like that every year, hurts so good. :Evil:

When I first read your post my reaction was "What . . . why so long a wait?" then I remembered where you live. In this part of Arkansas we really don't have a winter (though, unusual for us we had several significant snowfalls this year--but they all melted within days).

Anyway, keep up the good work! :)

dero
04-25-2011, 12:14 AM
When I first read your post my reaction was "What . . . why so long a wait?" then I remembered where you live. In this part of Arkansas we really don't have a winter (though, unusual for us we had several significant snowfalls this year--but they all melted within days).

Anyway, keep up the good work! :)
Yes this spring has been awful, plus the schedule I keep ( I work in a theatre as a sound tech) does not always go along with the nice weather when it does happen...
But, the summer is aaaaaaaaallllllllll mine, July to October. :Cool:
There will be a lot of riding THEN.

Keep up with the high mileage.

afriqueart
04-26-2011, 09:05 AM
When I turned 50 last year, I vowed to get into shape. One year later, I've lost 60 pounds and go to the gym every day.

Lose it on my iPhone saved my life. It can save yours, too!

RavingMac
05-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Week 12: Starting Wt - 214, ending Wt - 212

20.2 miles total

Good week, and I lost 2 more pounds! :)

TattooedMac
05-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Awesome job that 2 pounds. I see you ran the fries off haha

I twisted my ankle trying the "Fly like a butterfly, and sting like a bee" BBT 2007. As i was rounding the bag i stumbled lol

afriqueart
05-01-2011, 05:35 PM
This May 6 marks 1 year that I've been using the Lose It app on my iPhone. 60 pounds lighter and a whole lot healthier!

RavingMac
05-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Awesome job that 2 pounds. I see you ran the fries off haha

I twisted my ankle trying the "Fly like a butterfly, and sting like a bee" BBT 2007. As i was rounding the bag i stumbled lol

So, does that count as a TKO? ;P

If so, who gets it? ;)

RavingMac
05-01-2011, 06:44 PM
When I turned 50 last year, I vowed to get into shape. One year later, I've lost 60 pounds and go to the gym every day.
congratulations on getting in shape, and thanks for the encouragement.

pigoo3
05-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Week 12: Starting Wt - 214, ending Wt - 212

20.2 miles total

Good week, and I lost 2 more pounds! :)

Wow...very nice. You're really making some nice progress!!:)

- Nick

RavingMac
05-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Wow...very nice. You're really making some nice progress!!:)

- Nick
Thanks, Nick.
And, so far, the weight is coming off faster than I had hoped.

Tommyg80
05-01-2011, 08:45 PM
I love reading treads like these. I have lost 80lbs myself over the last 11 months.

dbruns
05-02-2011, 05:01 PM
The thing about staying in shape, is regularity. You have to do it, and do it even on days you'd rather stay home in bed

RavingMac
05-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Week 13: Starting Wt - 212, ending Wt - 213

20.3 miles total

Gained back a pound, but things are still going well. :)

pigoo3
05-08-2011, 09:19 PM

20.3 miles total

Looks like you're holding steady at around 20 miles/week. Don't be concerned about that pound...you probably just forgot to go to the bathroom (#2) before weighing yourself!;)

- Nick

dero
05-08-2011, 09:19 PM

20.3 miles total

But, that could be a pound of muscle.:Cool:
Keep it up, you are doing GREAT!!!

RavingMac
05-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks guys!

People have been telling me I was full of it for years anyway, so you may be right, Nick. ;D

RavingMac
05-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Week 14: Starting Wt - 213, ending Wt - 213

20.1 miles total.

I appear to have hit a plateau, but I've seen this before. Will just keep plugging away. :)

pigoo3
05-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Week 14: Starting Wt - 213, ending Wt - 213

20.1 miles total.

I appear to have hit a plateau, but I've seen this before. Will just keep plugging away. :)

Yepp...that's the term for it...plateauing. You may need to mix things up a bit. I know that you've been doing about 20 miles/week now...you could:

- add some extra miles
- same miles...but do 1-2 of the workouts differently (some hills if you have them)...or varying the pace while working out.

I'm not sure what your individual workouts look like or how many days/week you're working out, but you could try...run harder for .5 of a mile...then run the next .5 mile easy, then a harder .5 mile, then easy .5 mile...etc. I'm not talking a sprint...just picking up the pace to a point that you "feel" it. You're not trying to finish that .5 mile all out of breath or anything. Just trying to mix things up a bit.:)

- Nick

RavingMac
05-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks, Nick

I have been planning to ramp up the miles (already mixing the pace up a bit-will do more of it when I feel better about my base mileage).
Been somewhat hampered by the temps except for the last few days. We seem to be making an early transition to summer and I'm not yet heat acclimatized. My plan is to build up to 30 miles week (paying attention to heat stress etc); probably won't go much if any beyond that.

Long term I'd like to lose another twenty pounds but I'm actually fairly happy with where I am right now, would just like to get faster ( an ego thing, I know). :)

pigoo3
05-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Been somewhat hampered by the temps except for the last few days. We seem to be making an early transition to summer and I'm not yet heat acclimatized.

Yeah...the Summer heat really makes it difficult. I had some mid-80's temps this past week...and those were tough workouts. Even with some "heat acclimatization" running in the hot weather is still tough. Nothing as comfortable (or relatively comfortable when running) as the Wintertime.

I usually run in the late afternoon...but when the warm/hot weather hits...I NEED to switch to early mornings. Which isn't easy...but better than the heat!;)

- Nick

RavingMac
05-15-2011, 02:36 PM
I usually run in the late afternoon...but when the warm/hot weather hits...I NEED to switch to early mornings. Which isn't easy...but better than the heat!;)

- Nick

Unfortunately, not really an option for me. I leave for work at 6:00 am which would put me out pounding the streets somewhere around 4:30 am to run In the morning. And, since I am already NOT a morning person (up till midnight and sleep late is my preferred lifestyle). Morning runs will have to wait until I retire, not that many years from now. :)

pigoo3
05-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Unfortunately, not really an option for me. I leave for work at 6:00 am which would put me out pounding the streets somewhere around 4:30 am to run In the morning. And, since I am already NOT a morning person (up till midnight and sleep late is my preferred lifestyle). Morning runs will have to wait until I retire, not that many years from now. :)

Running in the morning is always an option...if you're properly motivated.;) I have marathoning friends who do get up at 3-4am during the hotter months...run their 1-2 hour workout, shower, eat, head to work. It's NOT an easy schedule...but it can be done.

On the flip-side (if you're more an evening person)...you can run at night when the sun is almost down. It isn't as cool as the morning...but at least you don't have the hot sun beating on you.:)

Of course another thing to consider. If a persons workout is say around 30 minutes in length...that's a lot less time in the sun than someone who needs to run for 1-2 hours (in the hot sun). It's all relative.:)

- Nick

RavingMac
05-15-2011, 03:06 PM
You are, of course correct, it is an option . . . just not one I am willing to take. ;)

With the state of our roads (no margins) and the summer wildlife (snakes etc) and the wish they were wildlife (roaming dogs) and the half-awake pickup truck drivers, I don't and won't run in the dark.
As you said, late afternoon early evening helps. But my standard coping mechanism is a small aboveground swimming pool. A quick plunge does wonders at the end of a hot run. :)

pigoo3
05-15-2011, 03:22 PM
I certainly understand there are circumstances that may prevent some of my suggestions.:) Running in the dark (morning or night). I'm lucky...and I do have some routes that I can run in the dark (although I run in the dark very rarely).

What I meant by "properly motivated" is...if the Summer sun gets hot enough to make workouts UNBEARABLE...but at the same time you DEFINITELY want to keep running...this is when "properly motivated" occurs.;)

I do some CRAZY things when I run. If I was in Arkansas running in the Summer...I would be running those roads (in the early morning in the dark). Snakes, no shoulders, half-drunk drivers in pickup trucks, and dogs (you didn't mention people in cars that like to yell at runners, throw things at runners, or whack them in the back with 2 by 4's or baseball bats)!!!

I'm also imagining a lot of your roads have the drainage ditches on both sides as well...so not much place to jump when an unyielding car/truck comes by.

But like I said...I'm CRAZY when & where I run...so I don't expect other folks to be.;)

- Nick

RavingMac
05-15-2011, 03:57 PM
I certainly understand there are circumstances that may prevent some of my suggestions.:) Running in the dark (morning or night). I'm lucky...and I do have some routes that I can run in the dark (although I run in the dark very rarely).

What I meant by "properly motivated" is...if the Summer sun gets hot enough to make workouts UNBEARABLE...but at the same time you DEFINITELY want to keep running...this is when "properly motivated" occurs.;)

I do some CRAZY things when I run. If I was in Arkansas running in the Summer...I would be running those roads (in the early morning in the dark). Snakes, no shoulders, half-drunk drivers in pickup trucks, and dogs (you didn't mention people in cars that like to yell at runners, throw things at runners, or whack them in the back with 2 by 4's or baseball bats)!!!

I'm also imagining a lot of your roads have the drainage ditches on both sides as well...so not much place to jump when an unyielding car/truck comes by.

But like I said...I'm CRAZY when & where I run...so I don't expect other folks to be.;)

So far I haven't run into the crazies with bats . . . Thank God for that. Everything else is pretty much spot on.
And, if it meant no running otherwise, I would probably find some way to cope with darkness running. Thankfully, I'm fairly heat tolerant and even when we get those spells of 20 or more consecutive 100 deg plus days I am able to do okay (once I get used to it), and providing I have a way to cool down quickly (swimming pool) and watch myself.

6string
05-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Tip.... weightbearing exercise!
Muscle weighs more, but helps burn fat, even while you are sleeping, but even then, you have to switch up your weight workout routines every 3-4 wks also, as you will plateau :)

RavingMac
05-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Tip.... weightbearing exercise!
Muscle weighs more, but helps burn fat, even while you are sleeping, but even then, you have to switch up your weight workout routines every 3-4 wks also, as you will plateau :)
You are right, and I have some dumbells at work under my desk, but I don't use them consistently. I should. ;P

pigoo3
05-15-2011, 11:25 PM
You are right, and I have some dumbells at work under my desk, but I don't use them consistently. I should. ;P

I have some "dumbbells" at work as well...they're called "coworkers"!!!Ha ha ha!;)

- Nick

Tommyg80
05-18-2011, 01:17 AM
I Love threads like these. Keep it up and you will be where you want to be in no time. I myself have lost 80 lbs in the last 11 months.

In the pic is a friend of mine. She hates this pic LOL

RavingMac
05-18-2011, 09:57 AM
I Love threads like these. Keep it up and you will be where you want to be in no time. I myself have lost 80 lbs in the last 11 months.

In the pic is a friend of mine. She hates this pic LOL

Congrats on the weight loss!
Keep up the good work. :)

6string
05-18-2011, 10:00 AM
And here I am, working on weight gain.... put on 7.5 kg in the last 8 wks since starting back at gym :)

RavingMac
05-18-2011, 10:06 AM
And here I am, working on weight gain.... put on 7.5 kg in the last 8 wks since starting back at gym :)

And the 90% of us fighting the Battle of the Bulge hate you!!! ;P

Just kidding, congrats on the new muscle. I really should do some lifting but . . .

RavingMac
05-21-2011, 01:23 PM
I have only logged about 10 miles this week, normally I rack up most of my mileage at the end of the week.

But, I had dressed to run yesterday and was doing prep for dinner for my wife to finish while I ran. Let conversation distract me (not smart) and almost completely sliced off the fingerprint pad on my left index finger. Needless to say I bled profusely.

Got the bleeding stopped and finger bandaged, then got ready to pop out the door for my run when confronted by wife concerned over potential for shock. Didn't believe much potential but also knew an argument I couldn't win, so missed my Friday run.

My problem now is not certain running today is particularly smart either. My cut is nicely glued shut but that may not last if I go out and sweat for an hour. Probably best to skip another day, but next week will be challenging also due to travel.

Oh well, I may just put an ice pack on it and run anyway. ;P

pigoo3
05-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Got the bleeding stopped and finger bandaged, then got ready to pop out the door for my run when confronted by wife concerned over potential for shock. Didn't believe much potential but also knew an argument I couldn't win, so missed my Friday run.

I totally understand the "argument you couldn't win"...but a cut finger is not a reason to miss workouts!;)

A cut finger is not going to heal very quickly...so if you use the same logic from day #1 (when the finger was cut)...then you might as well not run at all until the finger is completely healed (which could be 1-2 weeks).

But of course I don't subscribe to this logic...so running on day #1 (and beyond) is fine. Just bandage it well (athletic tape, masking tape, or duct tape).

BELIEVE ME...I've run with wayyy worse...and you wouldn't believe how many times I've used "duct tape" for various injuries.;)

Compare this to an 8-9 months pregnant woman/women running & racing...and a cut finger seems pretty "wimpy"!;)

This is of course if there isn't some sort of underlying health issue that may complicate things.

My 2 cents,:)

- Nick

RavingMac
05-21-2011, 03:21 PM
I totally understand the "argument you couldn't win"...but a cut finger is not a reason to miss workouts!;)

A cut finger is not going to heal very quickly...so if you use the same logic from day #1 (when the finger was cut)...then you might as well not run at all until the finger is completely healed (which could be 1-2 weeks). . .

- Nick

Actually the most critical time is the first 48 to 72 hrs so it would be more like 3 days instead of 2 weeks, regardless it doesn't matter.
I couldn't stand it so I put on a finger cot to maintain compression and went out and ran a couple miles. Just got back and showered and read your post.

Appreciate the encouragement.
Thanks,
Mike

EDIT: My concern wasn't that I would hurt myself but that I would unduly prolong healing time for my finger. I play guitar in our church band and losing use of my index finger is going to put a real crimp in practice and playing. ;)

pigoo3
05-21-2011, 03:42 PM
I couldn't stand it so I put on a finger cot to maintain compression and went out and ran a couple miles. Just got back and showered and read your post.

Good deal! 1 missed day is just an unscheduled rest day.:) You probably felt peppier today.

- Nick

RavingMac
05-21-2011, 03:46 PM
You probably felt peppier today.

- Nick

Well, I was lighter at least . . . though I don't recommend cutting off body parts as a way to lose weight. ;P

Audio.Trench
05-21-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm currently jamming on the acoustic: Nutshell - Alice in Chains

followed by some original songs i've been working on the past few weeks. :)

CrimsonRequiem
05-21-2011, 05:21 PM

And how many calories do you burn from doing that?

Audio.Trench
05-21-2011, 05:52 PM
i just realize this is in the wrong thread, supposed to be in the "what song.." thread.. i need to lay off the sauce..

anyways, on topic, i've been feeling better.. i begun work at a warehouse doing a lot of heavy lifting, unloading trucks, etc.

First few days were painful, but my body's adjusting now.

BrianLachoreVPI
05-21-2011, 11:33 PM

Love that song...

RavingMac
05-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Week 15: Starting Wt - 213, ending Wt - 210

17.7 miles total.

Mileage down a bit due to lost training day but on the other hand I dropped 3 lbs this week. :D

RavingMac
06-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Will update with mileage numbers later--I don't have them at this moment to post. Regardless, this is a summary of the last two weeks and update on where I am.

My wife and I decided to take an extended Memorial Day and drive out to West Texas to visit our daughter. I have been living with a low-grade sinus infection for several weeks, but it hasn't been that big of a deal . . . until Memorial Day weekend.
Combination of triple digit temperatures, single digit humidity and in-door house cat and I was suddenly down for the count. Spent the entire visit in bed or on the couch. ;P
As a result I lost almost week out of the middle of weeks 16 & 17 from driving and illness.

No problem, thought I, when I get back home I will be able to make up the lost mileage relatively easily. The problem is, though I began to feel better almost immediately upon return to reasonable humidity levels (and no cat) is so far I haven't been able to tolerate the mileage I want to run. Heart rate goes up too quickly for the pace and distance.

As an iterim, I am trying something I have read about before and intended to try but haven't. It is essentially a variant of interval training. I start out walking with my wife, run at near maximum pace for 30 seconds, turn and slowly jog back, then walk for ~3 minutes to recover, then repeat. I seem to tolerate this better than trying an extended run even at very slow pace, so I will probably keep it up for a week or so (or until things get back to normal--whatever that is ;P ).

6string
06-07-2011, 02:13 AM
Hurdles are part of getting fit, as with anything else ...just keep on jumping over them, as they are only obstacles to look back on as you see where you are now :)

Interval training is great for cardio and fat loss.... Keep it up!
If there is a local basketball team, I would highly recommend joining.

Hopefully you can work up to these 2 in the near future:

*Begin with easy warm-ups of two to three minutes (five minutes if necessary) by fast walking or light jogging on the treadmill to loosen up.
Jog at moderate pace for one minute.
Sprint for one minute.
Slow down to jogging for one minute.
Walk for one minute.
Repeat the four until you’ve completed 20 minutes total. To ensure proper intensity, don’t include the warm-up period toward your total.
Cool down and stretch.

*Begin with easy warm-ups of two to three minutes (five minutes if necessary) by fast walking or light jogging on the treadmill to loosen up.
Jog at moderate pace for one minute.
Sprint for 30 seconds.
Slow down to jogging for one minute.
Sprint for 30 seconds.
Repeat the jogging and sprinting intervals until you’ve completed 10 sets of jogging and 10 sets of sprinting, for 15 minutes total. To ensure proper intensity, don’t include the warm-up period toward your total.
Cool down and stretch.

RavingMac
06-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the input.
Essentially I am doing a variant of the second interval method. I had read some research on this and was intrigued so this looked like a good time to try it.
Being 58 I wear a chest monitor and keep an eye on my heart rate as I exercise and that is what is driving the change. Did a short run last night and my heart rate is still running too high for the pace/distance but seems to be getting there . . . as you said, its a matter of keeping at it, while being smart.

robduckyworth
06-07-2011, 09:15 AM

Funnily enough, I heard on the news a while back that playing an instrument (bar like a triangle) actually helps to lose weight, and parents were buying them for kids for this reason.

RavingMac
06-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Funnily enough, I heard on the news a while back that playing an instrument (bar like a triangle) actually helps to lose weight, and parents were buying them for kids for this reason.

I just got a mental image of me running through my neighborhood playing a Triangle (or maybe clanging Cymbals . . . or better yet a Tambourine). Not sure how much weight loss it would contribute but would certainly cause a lot of talk. ;D

RavingMac
06-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Pulled hamstring in my left leg doing sprints last night!

I haven't been able to tolerate much distance so I was trying to make up for it by increased intensity . . . now it looks like I will be walking (hobbling) for a few days. ;P

Oh, well! I know the drill as I have been here before. The thing is I know better, and was thinking I was pushing a little too much on the interval work, but I didn't want to lose the base I had built up over the last few months, so I was stubborn.

pigoo3
06-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Pulled hamstring in my left leg doing sprints last night!

I haven't been able to tolerate much distance so I was trying to make up for it by increased intensity . . . now it looks like I will be walking (hobbling) for a few days. ;P

I was going to say something earlier...but I didn't.:( The sort of increased intensity you were/are doing is too much intensity...and now you know why. Sprinting & distance running are different activities & develop the body differently.

An appropriate increase in intensity for distance runner would be (for example) going from a 10min/mile pace to an 8min or 9min/mile pace (for less distance). Not going from a 10min/mile pace to all out sprinting! Even speedwork where you do 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile intervals is still much less intense than a sprint.

Your 58 year-old muscles (or actually anyones muscles regardless of age) aren't really ready for sprinting if all someones been doing is distance running. And even for longtime distance runners...doing sprints can be risky (injury risk).

Sorry to hear about the pulled muscle...I hope it heals quickly!:)

- Nick

RavingMac
06-08-2011, 12:33 PM
I was going to say something earlier...but I didn't.:( The sort of increased intensity you were/are doing is too much intensity...and now you know why. Sprinting & distance running are different activities & develop the body differently.

An appropriate increase in intensity for distance runner would be (for example) going from a 10min/mile pace to an 8min or 9min/mile pace (for less distance). Not going from a 10min/mile pace to all out sprinting! Even speedwork where you do 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile intervals is still much less intense than a sprint.

Your 58 year-old muscles (or actually anyones muscles regardless of age) aren't really ready for sprinting if all someones been doing is distance running. And even for longtime distance runners...doing sprints can be risky (injury risk).

Sorry to hear about the pulled muscle...I hope it heals quickly!:)

- Nick

Thanks, Nick

Sprinting may be too strong a term, but definitely too fast a pace. I was doing 4:30 to 5:00 pace on 30 sec segments. Probably the kicker was the last segment was uphill (not major incline but noticeable).
It has just been frustrating with the setbacks and I let my impatience get the better of me.

Mike

EDIT: Adjusted the pace on my segments as I noticed a math error in going from MPH to Minutes per Mile

EvenStranger
06-08-2011, 02:36 PM
I don't know what y'all keep yammering on about... round is a perfectly acceptable shape!

RavingMac
06-08-2011, 02:47 PM
i don't know what y'all keep yammering on about... Round is a perfectly acceptable shape!

lol

pigoo3
06-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Sprinting may be too strong a term, but definitely too fast a pace. I was doing 4:30 to 5:00 pace on 30 sec segments.

4:30-5:00/mile pace for 30 seconds is still a pretty good clip. I'm willing to bet that if you sprinted 100 yards...you would probably be in the 15 second range (maybe a little less). Multiply 15 seconds by 17.6 (1760 yards/mile)...and that equals 264 seconds. Divide that by 60 (60 seconds in a minute)...and that equals a 4:24/mile pace.

If my numbers are half-way accurate (that it would take you 15 seconds to sprint 100 yards)...that's equivalent to a 4:24/mile pace...and if your actual "sprinting/increased intensity pace" is at a 4:30-5:00/mile pace...that's still pretty close to your max. sprinting ability for 100 yards.

In any case...sorry to hear about the muscle pull...stay away from the "sprinting"!;)

- Nick

p.s. And if you did want to do a "sprinting" workout...you would be surprised how much of a warm-up you really need to do before doing the sprinting (probably more than the workout you were doing)...so I'm betting there wasn't enough warm-up (stretching, light jogging, some short accelerations, and more stretching).;)

RavingMac
06-08-2011, 04:20 PM
4:30-5:00/mile pace for 30 seconds is still a pretty good clip. I'm willing to bet that if you sprinted 100 yards...you would probably be in the 15 second range (maybe a little less). Multiply 15 seconds by 17.6 (1760 yards/mile)...and that equals 264 seconds. Divide that by 60 (60 seconds in a minute)...and that equals a 4:24/mile pace.

If my numbers are half-way accurate (that it would take you 15 seconds to sprint 100 yards)...that's equivalent to a 4:24/mile pace...and if your actual "sprinting/increased intensity pace" is at a 4:30-5:00/mile pace...that's still pretty close to your max. sprinting ability for 100 yards.

In any case...sorry to hear about the muscle pull...stay away from the "sprinting"!;)

- Nick

p.s. And if you did want to do a "sprinting" workout...you would be surprised how much of a warm-up you really need to do before doing the sprinting (probably more than the workout you were doing)...so I'm betting there wasn't enough warm-up (stretching, light jogging, some short accelerations, and more stretching).;)

I suspect you are right on all counts:

1) I have never been a sprinter. My last actual recorded track times (by our running club in Boston) were 25 years ago, 220 in 28 sec and 440 in 62 sec (I weighed about 60lbs less than today BTW)

2) My pace is inexact because I computed it from MPH recorded by Garmin GPS (12 to 13 mph). I guessed I was in the 5 +/- range before I did the math because I still remember what that feels like and know I was significantly under a 6:00 pace

3) :Blushing: You caught me on this big time--no warm up (my wife was with me and asked, "Aren't you going to warm up first?"

EDIT: My plan is to see if I can do some low intensity running tonight (walking first). Tried to do it after the pull last night but couldn't due to cramping up too much

pigoo3
06-08-2011, 05:57 PM
3) :Blushing: You caught me on this big time--no warm up (my wife was with me and asked, "Aren't you going to warm up first?"

I'm sure some lessons were learned.;) Believe me...I get injured from time to time (either from running too far or too fast)!:(

Hopefully your muscle pull isn't too bad.

- Nick

Dysfunction
06-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Here is my favorite item for sore (not fully torn, last time I actually tore anything I couldn't walk for over a month) muscles.

The Stick - Relief For Muscle Pain, Soreness and Injury (http://www.thestick.com/)

RavingMac
06-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Here is my favorite item for sore (not fully torn, last time I actually tore anything I couldn't walk for over a month) muscles.

The Stick - Relief For Muscle Pain, Soreness and Injury (http://www.thestick.com/)

Looks interesting.

Fortunately my injury doesn't appear to be too bad. I spent most of the day while at work (when I had time) stretching it and doing deep massage. By the end of the day I could walk without hobbling.
Just got back from an easy 1.5 mile run (10:00 pace) and did well. I could tell the pull was there but it never seriously threatened to lock up on me.

And, Nick, I learned what I have known for a long time, that I should listen to my wife when she wants me to dial it back. ;)

pigoo3
06-08-2011, 08:28 PM

I have two of them (differing stiffness's) that I use almost every day...along with lots of other "equipment" to help keep the body limber, soreness, and injury free.:)

- Nick

6string
06-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Bummer to hear that!
....really need to concentrate on your warm ups and stretching, especially when doing anything high intensity, regardless of your age.

pigoo3
06-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Fortunately my injury doesn't appear to be too bad. I spent most of the day while at work (when I had time) stretching it and doing deep massage. By the end of the day I could walk without hobbling.
Just got back from an easy 1.5 mile run (10:00 pace) and did well. I could tell the pull was there but it never seriously threatened to lock up on me.

That sounds great!!!:) Of course take it easy for a while...and don't over do it.

And, Nick, I learned what I have known for a long time, that I should listen to my wife when she wants me to dial it back. ;)

Well...from what I understand...she didn't want you to dial it back...she was wondering what happened to the warm up!;) But I know what you mean!;)

- Nick

RavingMac
06-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Week 18: Starting Wt - ?, ending Wt - 212, Body Fat: 19.8%

12.3 miles total.

Mileage down a bit due to illness and injury, but I am able to run, just not as far or as fast as I'd like.

pigoo3
06-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Week 18: Starting Wt - ?, ending Wt - 212

12.3 miles total.

Mileage down a bit due to illness and injury, but I am able to run, just not as far or as fast as I'd like.

Hey that ending weight looks great:)...especially considering the "bad cards" you have been dealt lately. It's soooo easy to pack on a couple pounds when you aren't able to stay regular with the workouts.

Keep it up,:)

- Nick

RavingMac
06-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks Nick,
My interest was sparked by another post on the forum so I have decided to start tracking % body fat too.

Right now using online calculator I am running about 19.8% (composite of YMCA and Army formulas). Will edit my status post to reflect this.

RavingMac
06-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Did pretty well with recovery from injury but lost today as a training day due to illness. My temp has been climbing all day long (currently 103 deg F) and bouts of the D word.
Oh well, I think I managed 12 miles anyway this week.

TattooedMac
06-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Keep plugging away mate. You have been doing well being nearly 4 months since you started this thread.

12 miles is 12 miles mate. Hope recovery is quick and painless . . . .

RavingMac
06-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Keep plugging away mate. You have been doing well being nearly 4 months since you started this thread.

12 miles is 12 miles mate. Hope recovery is quick and painless . . . .

Thanks, Brent.

Fever broke, now if I can just ditch this gut ache I'll be running on all cylinders.

TattooedMac
06-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Thanks, Brent.

Fever broke, now if I can just ditch this gut ache I'll be running on all cylinders.

Thats good news. Bad gut ??? Flat Lemonade or Ginger Old Wives Remedy lol

RavingMac
06-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Thats good news. Bad gut ??? Flat Lemonade or Ginger Old Wives Remedy lol

Now if I could find an old wife to fix it for me. I'd never dare insinuate my wife fit the bill. ;)

RavingMac
06-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Just got back from doctor's office. Put me on another four days antibiotic and told me not to run until I had finished the course (wife was there to hear so have to obey). ;P

RavingMac
08-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks to Nick for PMing me and prodding me to get off my butt? :P

Due to a combination of illnesses and injuries (and other assorted distractions) I let myself get discouraged and quit exercising. As a result I put back on about 5 lbs and lost most of the conditioning I had built up.

I am taking it slowly, but have run about 8 miles total in the last 3 days (been running again for around 2 weeks) my first few runs were barely over a mile.

Will post back here to note my progress (and so Nick knows I haven't given up again). ;)

Wt: 219 lbs

pigoo3
08-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Will post back here to note my progress (and so Nick knows I haven't given up again). ;)

Alrighty man...great to hear you're back at it!!!:)

Like the Nike saying goes..."Just Do It!"

- Nick

RavingMac
09-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Been averaging about 9 miles a week. Lost 2 lbs.

Wt: 217

pigoo3
09-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Been averaging about 9 miles a week. Lost 2 lbs.

Wt: 217

It's been a while since the last update. I hope everything is well!:)

- Nick

RavingMac
09-23-2011, 08:04 PM
It's been a while since the last update. I hope everything is well!:)

- Nick

Been OK, just having a hard time building the mileage up. :P

TattooedMac
09-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Good to hear mate . . .. . It can be tough to come back from flu/injury etc

Keep at it, but from what i understand its coming into the colder months there (brrrrrr) and i no me personally find it harder to get motivated to do anything let alone run in the cold . . .

Good luck champ

Brent

RavingMac
09-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Good to hear mate . . .. . It can be tough to come back from flu/injury etc

Keep at it, but from what i understand its coming into the colder months there (brrrrrr) and i no me personally find it harder to get motivated to do anything let alone run in the cold . . .

Good luck champ

Brent
Thanks, Brent
I appreciate the encouragement.

Same to you.

MacDude121
09-27-2011, 07:15 PM
I just read this entire thread, good luck and hope you can keep it up Razormac. :)

CrimsonRequiem
09-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Running is great. I'd actually prefer to run when it's cold outside. It keeps you awake and alert that's for sure. :P

pigoo3
09-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Running when it's cool or cold is MUCH better than when it's warm/hot.

- Cool/cold (to me) pretty much being anything 60F or less
- 61F-67F starts to get "iffy" (depending on the humidity)
- over 67F is almost always makes for a tough/tougher run (since many times...if it's Summer...there's lots of humidity)

It also depends on how far you're running as well. 2 miles in the heat is easier that 10 miles.;)

- Nick

RavingMac
10-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Ran 12 miles each of the last two weeks, and 4.6 miles yesterday (longest since rebooting).
Wt holding steady at 217

TattooedMac
10-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Nice work Razor man . . . . . Got to be happy with *steady*
Keep it up !!!!

RavingMac
10-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Nice work Razor man . . . . . Got to be happy with *steady*
Keep it up !!!!

Thanks . . . steady is a lot better than climbing.

RavingMac
10-10-2011, 08:06 PM
X-rays show it isn't broken (at first I thought it was); laying in bed icing it and trying to keep it elevated.

CrimsonRequiem
10-10-2011, 08:29 PM
X-rays show it isn't broken (at first I thought it was); laying in bed icing it and trying to keep it elevated.

Maybe it's time to switch to something else? Like swimming? Less impact on the legs and it's just as good if not better.

I rather swim than run. :D

RavingMac
10-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Maybe it's time to switch to something else? Like swimming? Less impact on the legs and it's just as good if not better.

I rather swim than run. :D

I would rather dodge dogs (how I hurt my ankle) than cotton mouths and alligators. ;)

pigoo3
10-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Sorry to hear about the ankle!!!:(

- Nick

RavingMac
10-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Sorry to hear about the ankle!!!:(

- Nick

Thanks!
I was certain I had broken it . . . called my wife and laid on the ground (keeping a watchful eye on the dogs of course) and waited for her to come get me.
Doctor says no visible fractures but can't put any weight on it, so may be awhile--hopefully not.

pigoo3
10-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks!
I was certain I had broken it . . . called my wife and laid on the ground (keeping a watchful eye on the dogs of course) and waited for her to come get me.
Doctor says no visible fractures but can't put any weight on it, so may be awhile--hopefully not.

Not sure what the situation was regarding the dogs. But if it was in a location/area where they should have been on a leash...and if you're feeling spunky...you could pursue things further.

I'm not usually the sort of person to pursue things legally (remember I got hit by a car running a while ago). But you got more injured trying to avoid the dogs than I got being hit by a car!;) And you know most folks (getting hit by a car) would probably do something legally.

- Nick

RavingMac
10-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Not sure what the situation was regarding the dogs. But if it was in a location/area where they should have been on a leash...and if you're feeling spunky...you could pursue things further.

I'm not usually the sort of person to pursue things legally (remember I got hit by a car running a while ago). But you got more injured trying to avoid the dogs than I got being hit by a car!;) And you know most folks (getting hit by a car) would probably do something legally.

- Nick

We do have a leash law so I could probably make a case. The dogs were in their yard and didn't really press the attack, just let me know they would bite with half a chance/provocation.
Agree, not much of one for suing . . . way too much of that going on.
If I had paid more attention to my feet I wouldn't have run off the edge of the pavement. For that matter, if I had stopped to face them down, which I would have done if they were more aggressive, I would have been fine too.

pigoo3
10-10-2011, 10:50 PM
We do have a leash law so I could probably make a case. The dogs were in their yard and didn't really press the attack, just let me know they would bite with half a chance/provocation.
Agree, not much of one for suing . . . way too much of that going on.

Obviously you would have MUCH MORE motivation if you were actually bitten. In this case you were just a "klutz" trying to avoid them.;)

Of course just think what would have happened if in the process of trying to avoid the dogs...you unconsciously ran out into the street & got hit by a car.

So in this situation you also weren't bitten by the dogs...but it was the dog owner's fault for not having their dogs leashed (or confined in a fenced yard)...causing you to run into the street to avoid them & get hit by a passing car!

Just saying things could have turned out much worse (getting hit by a car) even though you didn't get bit by the dogs...but still the dog owners fault. Some/many dog owners (I'm a dog owner) don't realize the possible consequences of letting their dogs loose!!!:Angry:

- Nick

RavingMac
10-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Agreed!

TattooedMac
10-11-2011, 05:00 AM
I would rather dodge dogs (how I hurt my ankle) than cotton mouths and alligators. ;)

Ewwww mate i know the pain your in and glad it aint broke . . . . My left ankle is now forever swollen bc there is no cartilage left in it and the muscles are non existent . . . I feel for you :(

sorry this might come across as harsh and not having a go Nick, but i can't believe that the talk of Legal action even arose. If it was me it wouldn't even have entered my head, but lets say it did for a split second, what a hassle to go through to get what, monies? compensation of some sort ??
As i said it isn't a personal dig at either of you, i just can't get over the things people want to sue for and win . . . . . Thats the primary word here win. its bc the courts are too lenient and give in too easy i suppose, thats why its so easy to do over there :( Sad :(

Razor mate sorry to hijack it, but glad to see you hopping around and are in good spirits . . . Wont be long and you will be back at that peak your was at a few weeks ago . . .
Stay safe and watch those doggies

Cheers

RavingMac
10-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks, Brent.

I can already set it on the ground without too much pain, just can't put any weight on it and the swelling is gong down. I figure a week or so and I can walk, after that I should be running (slowly and on flat surfaces) fairly soon.

EDIT: I agree about the mess in the courts. But, I have to admit, that while I was laying beside the road watching the dogs and the house where they belonged, waiting for my wife to come get me, the thought did briefly cross my mind. ;)

RavingMac
10-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Well, not where I expected to be. Am still on crutches (expected to be walking and getting ready to run again by now). ;P

I have had a LOT of ankle sprains (used to play Handball) and generally the next day I would tape them up and limp until I warmed up, then good to go. Tend to believe that I do have some fractures even if they don't show up on x-ray. Still a lot of bruising down the side and running accross the top of my foot as well as swelling.

Dysfunction
10-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Well, in my experience soft tissue injuries heal slower than fractures do. The last serious injury I had (partially torn hip adductors and flexors) left me on crutches for almost 8 weeks. I still have some soreness/pain from time to time after a stressful workout. Hope you heal up well! Doing any PT?

RavingMac
10-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Well, in my experience soft tissue injuries heal slower than fractures do. The last serious injury I had (partially torn hip adductors and flexors) left me on crutches for almost 8 weeks. I still have some soreness/pain from time to time after a stressful workout. Hope you heal up well! Doing any PT?

8 weeks! Ouch. . . .

I am massaging and flexing it, plus doing some limited walking (a few feet and then back on crutches) but not much of the last as not quite up to it yet.

RavingMac
10-25-2011, 10:20 AM
I can wear a shoe on my injured foot for limited periods of time now, and walk without crutches (again limited time) but I have to resist the urge to call out, "Mister Dillon . . . Mister Dillon!" as I lurch along. ;)

BTW, I know I am seriously dating myself with the joke reference above. For the benefit of you youngsters, that was the trademark line of one of the main characters in early Gunsmoke episodes.

pigoo3
10-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Sounds like this injury was more serious than it initially sounded...if being able to wear a shoe for a limited time is the current recovery stage.

Hang in there. Hopefully you will be running again before Thanksgiving...because we know what happens then!;)

- Nick

RavingMac
10-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Sounds like this injury was more serious than it initially sounded...if being able to wear a shoe for a limited time is the current recovery stage.

Hang in there. Hopefully you will be running again before Thanksgiving...because we know what happens then!;)

- Nick

I was expecting to be out running by now . . . so, yes, it probably was worse than I originally thought.

And, Thanksgiving is just the start! Three straight months with multiple opportunities to overeat . . . ;)

Really NEED to be back on the road by then! ;P

TattooedMac
10-25-2011, 04:14 PM
:( Not telling you how to suck lemons Razor, but take good care of that ankle. I have one (2 actually) lol but my left is that far gone its swollen 90%of the time. The reason being after the original sprain, it kept going on me whiles i was in the Army. Now i have no muscle mass left and weak cartilage. Now i sprain it on a frozen pea lol but not far from the truth. Mine clicks now as i walk too

So mate be good to yourself and ankle :)

I feel your pain mate

Brent

RavingMac
10-25-2011, 04:40 PM
:( Not telling you how to suck lemons Razor, but take good care of that ankle. I have one (2 actually) lol but my left is that far gone its swollen 90%of the time. The reason being after the original sprain, it kept going on me whiles i was in the Army. Now i have no muscle mass left and weak cartilage. Now i sprain it on a frozen pea lol but not far from the truth. Mine clicks now as i walk too

So mate be good to yourself and ankle :)

I feel your pain mate

Brent

Thanks, Brent.
Trying to keep a good balance between letting it heal and working it . . . patience has never been one of my strong suits.
Appreciate the encouragement.
Mike

SFBloodBrother
10-26-2011, 02:53 AM
Well that makes sense. It's also easy to get out of shape.

RavingMac
10-29-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm off the crutches full time but still hobbling; looks like a week at least till I can run.
But the good news is I have lost a pound. :)

pigoo3
10-29-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm off the crutches full time but still hobbling; looks like a week at least till I can run.
But the good news is I have lost a pound. :)

I didn't realize you were on crutches as well. Man...you must have really twisted that ankle!!!:( Sounds to me like the owner of those dogs really needs a "wake-up" call!!!;)

- Nick

RavingMac
10-29-2011, 11:32 PM
I didn't realize you were on crutches as well. Man...you must have really twisted that ankle!!!:( Sounds to me like the owner of those dogs really needs a "wake-up" call!!!;)

- Nick

Yeah, it was a lot worse than I thought. Right now I am about where I expected to be three days after getting hurt, and originally thought I would be running in a week. Over three weeks and still limping, but I am getting better. :)

RavingMac
11-02-2011, 09:53 AM
And, she's probably right, but I tried to run a little last night.

I had done a lot of streching and manipulating of my ankle during the day, so when I got home I decided to go over to the lake and walk, and try some short stretches at an easy jog.

Did not work! ;P

The walking was fine, but when I tried to bump up to a slow jog I made (or tried to make) one stride and I was done. My ankle absolutely would not articulate the way it needed to to accommodate running and it really didn't appreciate the additional impact load . . . ;P

On the other hand, I managed to walk 2/3 mile at a pretty good clip, so its not all bad. Will give it another week and try again.

pigoo3
11-02-2011, 11:15 AM
You're not crazy...you have to give it a "test" every so often...just to be sure. Otherwise you'll be a "Wimpy Wendy" waiting for a 100% heal (and who really knows when that is).

I've had plenty of injuries that I would have thought I couldn't run with...and ended up having no problems. Since sometimes lingering soreness (when sitting at home) is not a limitation for a workout.

The rule of thumb I usually follow is (depending on the injury)...if it continues to hurt after more than couple hundred yards to 1/4 mile...then I stop. Sometimes some injuries/soreness will loosen up or even disappear after a couple hundred yards...then you know you're ok.

I've even had some injuries that were a little sore before running, I was able to run...and then the soreness returned after running. Kind of a "gray-area". In this case I still choose to do the workouts...as long as the post-run soreness doesn't get worse with each successive workout.

Hang in there...great to hear that your motivation is high!:)

- Nick

RavingMac
11-02-2011, 11:31 AM
You're not crazy...you have to give it a "test" every so often...just to be sure. Otherwise you'll be a "Wimpy Wendy" waiting for a 100% heal (and who really knows when that is).

This is almost word-for-word what I told my wife. :)

If I had been able to do the mechanics of running, I would have gutted out a few yards, but the ankle isn't quite up to it yet. Will wait a bit and give it another shot.

I haven't had a lot of injuries (until recently) but definitely agree you have to work through them. I injured a calf muscle about 4 yrs ago (suspect some minor tearing). I could start out running and then it would spasm and lock up, so I would run until it just started to spasm and then walk.

It took a few weeks but I was gradually able to extend the distance until I could run without problem.

pigoo3
11-02-2011, 11:43 AM
I haven't had a lot of injuries (until recently) but definitely agree you have to work through them.

I push the envelope a lot (both speed & distance)...so I tend to get a lot of injuries. What I mean by "a lot" is...1-2 injuries/year...with varying recovery times of 3-8 weeks. Of course some minor injuries with much shorter recovery times. So I've unfortunately had a lot of experience dealing with injuries & how to rehab. them.

Within the last 6 months...I've started to incorporate weight training into my workout regime...where I work out just about EVERY muscle group from the hips down (calves, hamstrings, quads, glutes, inner groin area, outer hip muscles)...and I've noticed a BIG decrease in muscle soreness after longer runs...and (fingers crossed) I haven't had an injury since starting the weight lifting!:)

- Nick

RavingMac
11-13-2011, 03:54 PM
It wasn't far and it wasn't fast but it was the first time I have been able to run even one step.

pigoo3
11-13-2011, 04:15 PM
It wasn't far and it wasn't fast but it was the first time I have been able to run even one step.

AWESOME!:) How did the ankle feel?

- Nick

Clueless
11-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for a little advice (and some gentle encouragement).

I spent a lot of time playing sport while I was growing up (between the ages of 8 and about 16), I would swim, play football (soccer) multiple times a week, and do tae kwon do weekly, as well as what ever sports we would do in our physical education classes at school. I've always been of a bigger build, but kept myself kinda trim. I would eat a lot, but mostly burn off the calories.

However, when I was 16, I blew my knee out when skiing, that, and various other reasons, meant that I had to give up almost all my sports. My problem was that although I had stopped playing sport, I didn't change my eating habits.

That, combined with university (bad food and too much drink) meant that I really put on some weight.

Well I've finished university now, and I have begun to lose the weight again - but I need to lose more (I've always had self confidence issues, and I also don't feel too healthy). So, a lovely female friend of mine has asked me if I'd like to start going to the gym with her. Not only does this mean that I get to spend more time with the girl, but it is the perfect excuse to get back into regular exercise.

So I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me - I assume I'm not the only guy to have this problem, and some of you will have had similar issues. So is their anything I need to start doing? I assumed that I would start with just one or two trips a week, with gentle cardio exercises...

So please give me any and all wisdom you guys have to give.

Thanks for sticking with the long post...

pigoo3
11-13-2011, 04:52 PM
So I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me - I assume I'm not the only guy to have this problem, and some of you will have had similar issues. So is their anything I need to start doing? I assumed that I would start with just one or two trips a week, with gentle cardio exercises...

So please give me any and all wisdom you guys have to give.

I think that it all depends on how bad that knee is...and thus what sort of exercises you can do...and the duration of the exercises you can handle. Doing "cardio-related" exercising I feel is the best way to burn calories.

Swimming, biking, running, and walking are 4 ways to burn calories (swimming, running, biking, and walking in decreasing calorie burning order). Swimming will burn more calories per minute/per hour...and also be very low stress for a bad or weak knee. But some folks may not want to get into a swim-suit due to the confidence issues mentioned above.

Other than swimming...walking & biking are good ways to exercise. Biking may be the best for a questionable knee. As that knee gains strength...you could try some walking...and eventually slow running if you feel the knee can handle it.

Lots & lots of stuff to discuss...depending on your goals, abilities, and interest.:)

- Nick

RavingMac
11-13-2011, 04:58 PM
AWESOME!:) How did the ankle feel?

- Nick

It hurt but I was able to tolerate it. I plan on starting slowly, walking and jogging until I can run a mile w/o pain

EDIT: I agree with everything Nick recommends, and would add that strength training will help a lot. Muscle is denser than fat and helps burn calories and balance insulin spikes.

pigoo3
11-13-2011, 05:10 PM
It hurt but I was able to tolerate it. I plan on starting slowly, walking and jogging until I can run a mile w/o pain...

You know what 'Dirty Harry" says..."A man's got to know his limitations.";)

- Nick

Clueless
11-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys!

I think that it all depends on how bad that knee is...and thus what sort of exercises you can do...and the duration of the exercises you can handle. Doing "cardio-related" exercising I feel is the best way to burn calories.

Swimming, biking, running, and walking are 4 ways to burn calories (swimming, running, biking, and walking in decreasing calorie burning order). Swimming will burn more calories per minute/per hour...and also be very low stress for a bad or weak knee. But some folks may not want to get into a swim-suit due to the confidence issues mentioned above.

Other than swimming...walking & biking are good ways to exercise. Biking may be the best for a questionable knee. As that knee gains strength...you could try some walking...and eventually slow running if you feel the knee can handle it.

Lots & lots of stuff to discuss...depending on your goals, abilities, and interest.:)

- Nick

Yeah - definitely not too confident in the swimming as of yet. Its disappointing, as I used to be a half decent swimmer.

My current job does involve a lot of walking (and stair climbing), which I think has been a major factor in my weight loss so far - about a stone and a half across the past month or so. While I'm yet to feel a difference myself, evidently its noticeable. The problem is, all the stair climbing and walking really does play havoc with the knee, most days its just a dull ache, not enough to affect me day to day, but an annoyance none the less. Some days it gets so bad that I find it difficult to walk etc., so its a fine balancing act.

It hurt but I was able to tolerate it. I plan on starting slowly, walking and jogging until I can run a mile w/o pain

EDIT: I agree with everything Nick recommends, and would add that strength training will help a lot. Muscle is denser than fat and helps burn calories and balance insulin spikes.

Insulin spikes? This isn't something I've come across before... Is it something I should be aware of?

RavingMac
11-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Insulin is one of your body's major hormones. It does a lot of things, but two in particular matter here.
1) Insulin helps your body use carbohydrates as fuel, so eating carbs causes your pancreas to produce insulin (eat a lot of carbs and your insulin will spike)
2) Insulin promotes fat storage.

TattooedMac
11-14-2011, 12:44 AM
Nice going Razor . . .. Keep it up mate. Can see your determined to get over this ankle business. Just hope you have the get up and go once its all fixed up :)
And then come christmas and lots n lots of food lol
Temptation galore ;)

RavingMac
11-14-2011, 08:53 AM
And then come christmas and lots n lots of food lol
Temptation galore ;)

That's a big part of why I'm trying to get off my duff now. . . . .. ;)

I fully intend to enjoy the holidays (and the food). :)

RavingMac
11-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Ran 3 laps of 0.4 miles each with 0.1 mile rest in between walking. Went very slow ~ 10:30 to 11:00 min/mile. Total distance running 1.2 miles

Ankle hurt, but not too badly and seemed to loosen up as I went. :D

Will give it a day or so to rest, then try again.

pigoo3
11-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Ran 3 laps of 0.4 miles each with 0.1 mile rest in between walking. Went very slow ~ 10:30 to 11:00 min/mile. Total distance running 1.2 miles

Ankle hurt, but not too badly and seemed to loosen up as I went. :D

Will give it a day or so to rest, then try again.

Hey that sounds great!:)

I'm had a lot of injuries like this...where it hurts a bit in the beginning...loosens up after a while...and maybe even tightens up a bit afterwards. But if you're able to repeat the process on day 2, 3, etc....without anything getting worse from day to day...then I'd say your good to go for some slow progress each day towards increasing distance & intensity.

I think that it's also a great idea doing the run-walk-run approach. Always a great approach when coming back from an injury...or even for someone just starting a workout program from scratch.

Great news to hear you're able to do some exercising again!!!:)

- Nick

RavingMac
11-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks!

RavingMac
11-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Still a little gimpy and ankle is stiff, but did 1.5 miles without stopping in 14:50. :D

pigoo3
11-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Still a little gimpy and ankle is stiff, but did 1.5 miles without stopping in 14:50. :D

VERY NICE...you're getting there!:) Time to start thinking about a Spring race goal!;)

- Nick

RavingMac
11-16-2011, 09:26 PM
VERY NICE...you're getting there!:) Time to start thinking about a Spring race goal!;)

- Nick

Goal?..

My first goal is to not look like I'm escaping from the physical therapy ward when I run. ;)

Not quite that bad, but definitely really having to work to keep a reasonable gait right now.

pigoo3
11-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Goal?..

My first goal is to not look like I'm escaping from the physical therapy ward when I run. ;)

Not quite that bad, but definitely really having to work to keep a reasonable gait right now.

A Spring race could be as far off as May...so plenty of time!:) Just stay away from the dogs between now & then!;)

- Nick

RavingMac
11-16-2011, 10:55 PM
A Spring race could be as far off as May...so plenty of time!:) Just stay away from the dogs between now & then!;)

- Nick

I won't go near them until my ankle is up to par.

Race goal . . . 5K is my preferred distance. And given how much I have slowed down, probably a good goal would be to finish under 24:00

pigoo3
11-16-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm thinking after doing 1.5 miles today...you're going to improve very quickly!

A month from now (mid-December)...you're going to be "singing a different tune"!;) Which means you'll still have 4-5 months to prep. for a Spring 5K.;)

- Nick

TattooedMac
11-17-2011, 04:16 AM
I won't go near them until my ankle is up to par.

Race goal . . . 5K is my preferred distance. And given how much I have slowed down, probably a good goal would be to finish under 24:00

That be a good time. My quickest 5km at my peak in the Army was 19.43 I was quite stoked with that. Mind you i went down hill from there. If we didn't finish in under 24mins it was deemed a FAIL :(
Keep plugging away mate !!!!

RavingMac
11-17-2011, 08:54 AM
That be a good time. My quickest 5km at my peak in the Army was 19.43 I was quite stoked with that. Mind you i went down hill from there. If we didn't finish in under 24mins it was deemed a FAIL :(
Keep plugging away mate !!!!

Thanks, Brent!

My quickest 5K was 18:06, but that was many years and pounds ago . . . .. ;)

At this point, I am very encouraged. The ankle hurts a bit, but not too bad as I run, and if I can do 1.5 miles I can do 3 with a bit of work.

RavingMac
11-18-2011, 08:29 PM
This will probably be my last daily update unless something happens. I'll post every week or so on progress.

Ran again today. 1.5 miles in 14:24
It will be a while before I can go far or fast but am encouraged by how well I'm doing so far. :)

pigoo3
11-18-2011, 09:20 PM
This will probably be my last daily update unless something happens. I'll post every week or so on progress.

That's ok man...it will be nice to see you posting about those 20+ mile weeks again (which I'm sure won't be very long)!:)

Good luck,

- Nick

RavingMac
11-18-2011, 09:59 PM
That's ok man...it will be nice to see you posting about those 20+ mile weeks again (which I'm sure won't be very long)!:)

Good luck,

- Nick

Thanks Nick, really appreciate the encouragement you and Brent give me. It helps!

RavingMac
11-29-2011, 12:44 PM
I will probably not be doing a lot of running for the next several weeks. The reason is, it has become PAINFULLY obvious (pun intended) that my somewhat non-functional ankle won't allow me to run at any pace or distance that will adequately stress my circulatory system. And, it doesn't seem to be helping with increasing my flexibility and range of motion.

What I plan on doing (started last week just before Thanksgiving) is to go way back. During the mid sixties up through the late seventies I was heavily into Martial Arts. Haven't really done a lot in the last twenty years, but I still remember a lot of the exercises and routines (Kata).

I have doing stretches and slow speed, no focus, Kata and am seeing a lot of gain in range of motion (and a significant amount of pain admittedly as my ankle moves in ways it is no longer pleased to move). Right now my ankle is burning (minor) from about fifteen minutes of the Cat Stance and some stretching. ;)

My plan is to continue with this, with some occasionaly runs, until I regain something like a normal ankle. I'm hoping that by Christmas (or early next year) I should be somewhere near normal again.

RavingMac
12-02-2011, 07:04 PM
I haven't run for a week, instead I have been bending, torquing, stretching and generally tormenting my ankle, trying get some flexibility back.

Result is I have gained about 1.5 minutes per mile on my pace due to being able to take a longer stride. I am very encouraged. The last time I ran if I got much faster than a 10:00 mile pace my stride got all gimped up and I started to hobble.

Will keep you posted, and thanks for the encouragement.

richmac
12-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Staying in shape is like getting up early in the morning. The pain you feel while you go through it is daunting. But once you do it and get over it, you feel much better about yourself

RavingMac
01-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Just did my after holiday's weigh-in and (as I suspected) I have gained 6 lbs since early November. My goal is to lose it all (and more) by the end of February.
Also did a test run, and though I am obviously out of shape my ankle is greatly improved. Ran 1.3 miles with only a bit of problems at the start.

The reason for my weigh-in is I saw a study several years ago that showed that the weight gain most of us experience throughout life isn't so much incremental as it is moving from one plateau to the next. What happens, they said, is we ALL tend to gain weight over the holidays. But, we fail to lose it (or at least not all of it) afterwards. So instead of a linear weight increase we have a staircase effect.

Since I read that (at least 8 years ago) I have made it my goal to reach my early Nov weight by the end of Feb. So far I've been able to do it. Usually by restricting carbs and running. If my ankle holds up that is my plan this year as well.

pigoo3
01-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Just did my after holiday's weigh-in and (as I suspected) I have gained 6 lbs since early November.

6 pounds since early November really is not that bad at all...take a good holiday dump...and you'll put a nice "dent" in that number!;)

The reason for my weigh-in is...

January 2nd..."National Weigh-In Day":

The Special K Brand Marks January 2 National Weigh-in Day (http://www.allvoices.com/news/11209854-the-special-k-brand-marks-january-2-national-weighin-day)

- Nick

Geekbabe
01-02-2012, 06:04 PM
hey, cheer up, round is a shape:)

I've never met a cookie I didn't like ;)

RavingMac
01-02-2012, 07:44 PM
hey, cheer up, round is a shape:)

I've never met a cookie I didn't like ;)

It is indeed a shape . . . and a very good shape at that. Just not one I particularly care to be if I can help it. :)

TattooedMac
01-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Your doing ok Mike. Don't be too hard on yourself considering what size that ankle has been over the last ... weeks. With the holiday cheer and all the good Cajun tucker, who could blame ya. This is going to be my year so ill put in a good word for you too mate ;)

Brent

MacDude121
01-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Keep up the good work Razormac, I'm sure you'll lose those 6lbs in no time at all. :)

RavingMac
01-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Thanks all for the encouragement and kind words. It helps.

RavingMac
01-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Back under 220 lbs (barely). Only 3 more lbs to reach my pre-Thanksgiving weight goal. :)

pigoo3
01-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Back under 220 lbs (barely). Only 3 more lbs to reach my pre-Thanksgiving weight goal. :)

Pretty darn awesome...especially after the holidays! Soon you will be in new territory!:)

- Nick

RavingMac
01-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Keeping at it. Ran 2.8 miles today (longest run since I hurt my ankle Columbus Day).
Still going slow but ankle continues to improve; I can now run up hills! :)

Before today my ankle wouldn't flex enough to let me run on the uphills so I limped/hobbled as fast as I could.

RavingMac
01-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Ankle doing better every day!

Ran 2.0 miles in 17:59 and ankle barely complained. :D

pigoo3
01-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Ankle doing better every day!

Ran 2.0 miles in 17:59 and ankle barely complained. :D

Great to hear the ankle is feeling better. They can be a problem sometimes.

- Nick

RavingMac
02-20-2012, 04:17 PM
I missed almost a week of running due to flu or whatever it was I came down with (the doctor wasn't sure but I had an elevated white count and fever so he put me on antibiotics).

The good news though is I got a tip from a friend who had severely injured his ankle skydiving, which really seems to have helped. Stand on one leg (the injured one) with your eyes closed.

Sounds easy but I found it impossible to do at first. Normally your body is continually firing muscles in an unconscious pattern to maintain your balance. Due to the injury the muscles supporting my left ankle weren't able to respond quickly enough to keep me from toppling over.

Anyway, after a week of trying I am finally getting where I can balance again and I could REALLY feel the difference running today (1.2 miles @ 9:10 pace).

pigoo3
02-21-2012, 11:05 AM
I missed almost a week of running due to flu or whatever it was I came down with (the doctor wasn't sure but I had an elevated white count and fever so he put me on antibiotics).

The good news though is I got a tip from a friend who had severely injured his ankle skydiving, which really seems to have helped. Stand on one leg (the injured one) with your eyes closed.

Sounds easy but I found it impossible to do at first. Normally your body is continually firing muscles in an unconscious pattern to maintain your balance. Due to the injury the muscles supporting my left ankle weren't able to respond quickly enough to keep me from toppling over.

Anyway, after a week of trying I am finally getting where I can balance again and I could REALLY feel the difference running today (1.2 miles @ 9:10 pace).

Too bad about the flu...but good to hear you're running again!:) Regarding the ankle...yeah...the advice from the sky-diving friend is a great place to start...but I can suggest a direction to go to do even better!:)

I've had my share of ankle injuries...and sometimes it takes some stretching exercises, flexibility exercises, and balance exercises to get back to 100%...or even better.:) One thing that I do that's great for balance, strength, and flexibility is to use a "wobble board". I made my own wobble board (since they can get expensive)...but they can be purchased as well. Here's an example of what they look like:

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/public/AqRv9gnYUJiRuX0mAZgymdFrLDUzHk007HWw0Ngo1BhK1--h64OExpECJ8xplR6JSooKohx5xg8xQxV0gZphHg3OC89RXju6U Ddc5baxloQ30mIIXPkBto_RW1BQWF2we9zVdAHl9_uECWW5nQk nDTlQlEjfb48oG4PGFKSrnDfWbZePvWWe6GgJgJrO

The photo shows both feet on the wobble board at the same time (which is good for balance training). I also use my wobble board one foot at a time...to improve flexibility in each ankle independently...since many times...one ankle may be more/less flexible than the other.

I think that this exercise is somewhat like running off-road...where you would encounter uneven trail surfaces, med-large stones, tree roots, etc...which would strengthen ankles naturally as you run on the trails. But when folks only run on flat roads...ankles can get weak & inflexible.

HTH,:)

- Nick