• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Audiophiles, I need help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
I recently bought a new amplifier that I have connected to my TV so that I can stream my music collection via my ATV2 and play it through some nice speakers. I can set the audio out from the TV to a fixed line-level out signal, but while experimenting I found my music sounded a lot better if I just manually set the output volume using the remote (like anyone would during regular TV viewing) to a little bit higher level than the fixed line-level output was providing. My question is this: will doing this harm my amp (DTA-100a)? When I manually set the output volume from the TV, there was a marked richness in the sound coming from my speakers, but I don't want to shorten the life of my amp. Thoughts?

Reaction score
You should be fine. It sounds like you are using an analog output from one device into another. It could be that one signal is actually different from the other (besides volume). As in one having some loudness compensation or other processing. If you were overloading an amp at an analog input, you would hear distortion even at lower volume speaker volume settings.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And if you want the best sound, I would scrap running the audio through the TV and then passing it to the receiver.

I would assume you're using an optical cable from the TV to the receiver - change it (if not, go get one) and go from the ATV to the receiver.

OP
50voltphantom
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
And if you want the best sound, I would scrap running the audio through the TV and then passing it to the receiver.

I would assume you're using an optical cable from the TV to the receiver - change it (if not, go get one) and go from the ATV to the receiver.

My amp only has RCA and 1/8" stereo inputs, so I suppose I'd need a converter. I'm currently just connecting my ATV to my TV via HDMI. I then connect audio out of my TV via RCA to an A/B switch box so I can send the signal to either a small 2.1 system (for regular TV watching), or, to my 50W amp to power a set of floor speakers (for music listening).

OP
50voltphantom
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should be fine. It sounds like you are using an analog output from one device into another. It could be that one signal is actually different from the other (besides volume). As in one having some loudness compensation or other processing. If you were overloading an amp at an analog input, you would hear distortion even at lower volume speaker volume settings.

Good point. I didn't detect any distortion.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My amp only has RCA and 1/8" stereo inputs, so I suppose I'd need a converter. I'm currently just connecting my ATV to my TV via HDMI.

In that case keep doing what you're doing. Wouldn't even waste the time looking at an optical to analog converter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
As said, if there is no distortion, and you are getting the richest sound your ears can detect, that is the way to go.

I would always go for the most direct connection possible, without concern for any for of converters of switches.
Love a good analog sound where available.
As for the Amp, the distortion is really only likely on any even half decent Amp with the output levels from the Amp to the speakers.

Best setup if you really want to hear the best sound is a tube Amplifier with monster cables to brilliant speakers.
Warning: You would never enjoy listening to music at anyone else's house again :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
And really, there is only one brand of tube amplifier we can recommend on this forum; McIntosh of course!

mc302-l-front_rdax_448x229.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Monster cable are over priced and over rated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
They are over priced, but I wouldn't say over rated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I always loved McIntosh amps and as for cabling I either use Blue Jeans or Monoprice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's about the gauge, and the quality control over the production of the cables.
Not about the brand!

There is way better out there to be found than the Monster brand, but it's a good place to start if you don't know what you are looking for.

If you really want quality go for Cables & Interconnects : Terminated Speaker Wire - Axiom Audio

You can get premium cables from anywhere that you can source them if you can find them.
It is no different to when I was an electrician, and selecting cables based on the jobs I was doing.

End of the day, no point having crappy cables between a really good Amp and kickass set of speakers.
There is no argument to be had here, as it is just a fact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
This is a good read for those interested. Speaker Wire

End of the day, no point having crappy cables between a really good Amp and kickass set of speakers.
There is no argument to be had here, as it is just a fact.

From one of the articles:
Despite the effectiveness of Gordon's cable demonstration and the truth about speaker wire, people visiting the McIntosh room at the shows, who had not experienced the cable demonstration, were disturbed that we were using ordinary heavy zip cord instead of one of the popular brands of speaker wire. Instead of listening to the McIntosh speakers and electronics, they recalled "bad" things they had been told about "common" speaker wire and this promoted questions about the "inferior" wire being used. When we changed the wire to a popular brand of wire, customers were happy with the setup, and directed their attention to the McIntosh equipment.

The demand for high quality speaker wire was increasing and appeared to be a new marketing area for several companies. McIntosh did not make or sell speaker wire. The solution seemed very obvious--rather than spend time and effort to create negative sales for McIntosh dealers who were beginning to sell speaker wire, it seemed best to encourage the speaker owner/customer to consult with the dealer about what speaker wire to use. Consequently, I no longer recommended the kind of wire or wire sizes in the speaker manuals.

By 1988, McIntosh no longer supplied audio interconnects with the electronics. Again, many kinds of special audio cables were available to the customer/owner. The dealer could also be consulted about what cables to use.

I credit the success of the speaker wire industry to their expert sales and marketing ability. However, it is my experience that ordinary copper wire, as long as it's heavy enough, is just as good as name brands.

Looking at this from a different perspective, there will always be those who will want expensive wire, not because there is an audible difference, but because they may value pride of ownership and prestige in a similar way to that of owning a Tiffany lamp or a Rolex watch.

I have a $5 HDMI cable that works just as well as the $40 HDMI cable I bought because I needed one ASAP and that was the cheapest the local Best Buy had.

I'll be making a purchase soon as I just picked up a new receiver and need to get my speakers and everything hooked up.

14 connectores, a 6' HDMI cable, 35' high quality co-ax RCA for a sub woofer, a 6' composite cable, and a 15' premium TOS-link optical cable are $51 shipped to my house.

That would probably be over $150 with monster cables that would likely make no difference at all..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.