• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

To my Kiwi friends ~ Hope your safe after the earthquake !!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
And knowing there are a couple of Kiwis in the forum, i hope you are all safe. For those that have been under a rock, there was a massive quake in NZ and there are quite a few dead and 100's missing

New Zealand earthquake - in pictures

We are getting hammered here in the Southern Hemisphere ATM :(

Be safe friends and prayers are with you

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I hadn't realized it was so bad!
Heard it was a 6.3 earthquake (which normally doesn't do this much damage) and haven't been near the TV in days.
Agree, thoughts and prayers to those in NZ.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
An Earthquake's damage is directly proportional to how quake-resistant the buildings are. In this case not a very quake protected city. But yeah many dead and missing and like 16 billion dollars of damage. Even in NZ dollars that's just insane.

What's the go with the with weather. First QLD then NZ. I feel really bad for all those over there in NZ now. I just hope they pull through all this mess and rebuild even stronger.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
What's the go with the with weather. First QLD then NZ. I feel really bad for all those over there in NZ now. I just hope they pull through all this mess and rebuild even stronger.

Not only there but there was a Tornado in Karratha WA so its affecting al us :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A 6.3 tremor (and that was a tremor aftershock from last September's quake) would normally not do all that much damage, however, they say this aftershock was close to the surface of the earth. The closer to the surface, the more damage a quake will do.

I certainly wish our good friends in NZ the best. Christchurch is a beautiful friendly city and one that attracts lots of tourists. I hope they can get things back in order quickly. But more important is getting relief to the folks who have suffered and to those who lost family members.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Okay, time for me to chip in. I guess I'm the M-F member who's closest to the action. For an accurate and informative view of how and where the latest series of quakes has occurred, see: http://www.geonet.org.nz/var/storag...s/2011/lyttelton/57171-1-eng-GB/Lyttelton.jpg. (Note where the far right red dot is - about 5 km from my home (surprisingly undamaged, apart from heaps of stuff strewn about, and the loss of one old dinner plate worth about 10c).

There's been a large amount of misinformation and sensationalism from the media - so what's new? The devastation shown on your tv's is real however - appallingly real. There are still 200 people classified either as unaccounted for or missing, and most are underneath that mess. When one personally knows two, maybe three of those unfortunate people, it brings the enormity and tragedy of the disaster very close.

Christchurch is very grateful for the assistance of several countries, especially our mates from across the Tasman - even if you do thump us in the cricket!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad everything turned out OK for you Hugh. 5 KM from your home is too close for comfort. Stay safe and thanks for letting us know.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, time for me to chip

There's been a large amount of misinformation and sensationalism from the media - so what's new? The devastation shown on your tv's is real however - appallingly real. There are still 200 people classified either as unaccounted for or missing, and most are underneath that mess. When one personally knows two, maybe three of those unfortunate people, it brings the enormity and tragedy of the disaster very close.

Christchurch is very grateful for the assistance of several countries, especially our mates from across the Tasman - even if you do thump us in the cricket!

Glad you popped in hugh and good to see you in good health. Thanks for the link as well.
Looking at that red dot . . . WOW is all i can say bc that is real rugged country in there .
And i wouldnt worry about the cricket mate. Our captain seems to be doing a good case of destructing himself so who knows who will be there at the end. You still have one over us in the Rugby though

Glad your safe mate

Brent

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.