I know nothing about this - please help!

Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking about buying a computer of my own rather then using the family computer all the time. On this current imac I am using at the moment there is a wired broadband modem. If I was too buy another imac would it be possbile to use the existing broadband connection on the new computer and how?

Also please tell me how difficult it is to do and if possible any tutorials about this around the web as I can't find anything though I'm probably not searching properly!

Thanks for any help,
David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
All you would need to do is buy a router. Routers are extremely easy to set up and are fairly inexpensive. There is a plethora of guides and sites on setting up a home network, and the router will come with step by step instructions as well.
:black:

OP
D
Reaction score
My ADSL box says 'ADSL Router' router on it so is that all you have to do is get another box and it will work.

Sorry for my naivity on this but I have a lot to learn ;)

M

Merlinblack

If the box already says router, there should be more than one port to plug a machine into the ADSL box. If that is the case just plug in your new machine and you are away to the races. If there isn't another port on the ADSL box then you'll need a router from Staples or Bestbuy or whatever

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
You could always use the iMac as a wireless router itself to send out its interent connection using its airport .. the only problem with this is that the family computer has to be on all the time in order for your computer to be on the internet.

Reaction score
Merlinblack said:
If the box already says router, there should be more than one port to plug a machine into the ADSL box. If that is the case just plug in your new machine and you are away to the races. If there isn't another port on the ADSL box then you'll need a router from Staples or Bestbuy or whatever

If he already has a router, he probably doesn't want another router on his home network since that would get confusing, I would suggest getting a switch instead, probably cheaper also.

M

Merlinblack

mynameis said:
If he already has a router, he probably doesn't want another router on his home network since that would get confusing, I would suggest getting a switch instead, probably cheaper also.

Right, good plan probably better to buy a switch.

M

Merlinblack

Turns a lightbulb on and off, you know usually on your wall... jk :p

A switch is "like" a router. it handles the trafic of your network by sending packets (data) the right direction. Try this link for a little more information.

Hope that helps, it's a little tech talk heavy, but anything else you don't understand just look up on webopedia or wikipedia.

OP
D
Reaction score
Ok... :confused:

Back on this airport (internet sharing) thing as the family computer is on all the time anyway. When I go into system preferences - internet sharing the only option to tick is built in ethernet and when I do I get this message saying this http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/2431/untiimage2yb.jpg so i don't really want to risk anything! What is built in ethernet and would i have it?

M

Merlinblack

David147 said:
Ok... :confused:

Back on this airport (internet sharing) thing as the family computer is on all the time anyway. When I go into system preferences - internet sharing the only option to tick is built in ethernet and when I do I get this message saying this http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/2431/untiimage2yb.jpg so i don't really want to risk anything! What is built in ethernet and would i have it?

Built in Ethernet is what the CAT5 cable plugs into. So yes you do have it, I don't beleive there is a computer in production without built in ethernet or ethernet of some sort.

On that note I'd suggest getting a switch at Staples or Best Buy or wherever. It will be easier for you to get things working with a switch, or at least it should be.

If you want to try internet sharing I beleive you should check Airport as your internet sharing as you are sharing the internet with everyone that connects to you through airport not through your ethernet.

If you are REALLY unsure phone your ISP and ask to see if they provide mac support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
David147 said:
Is this what I want http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...30071/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/202-8677294-9498225 and what would i do to set it up? Also, there won't be any wires because the computers will be far apart.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I'm only 14 ;)

The best solution for you is going to be a wireless router. It doesn't sound like your current modem/router is wireless. You can purchase one that would work, and be pretty much "plug & play" (to use an MS term, ;) )

It should not 'confuse' or disrupt your current modem/router in any way. It doesn't sound like you have any other computers networked or sharing your internet connection, so adding an inexpensive wireless router should not harm anything.

and BTW...don't sell yourself short because of your age. Age has nothing to do with how much you can know or learn about computers. :black:
Heck, I started using Apple II's to learn and program with BASIC when I was in the third grade (7 years old).

M

Merlinblack

D3v1L80Y said:
The best solution for you is going to be a wireless router. It doesn't sound like your current modem/router is wireless. You can purchase one that would work, and be pretty much "plug & play" (to use an MS term, ;) )

It should not 'confuse' or disrupt your current modem/router in any way. It doesn't sound like you have any other computers networked or sharing your internet connection, so adding an inexpensive wireless router should not harm anything.

and BTW...don't sell yourself short because of your age. Age has nothing to do with how much you can know or learn about computers. :black:
Heck, I started using Apple II's to learn and program with BASIC when I was in the third grade (7 years old).

I second that.

7 Years old eh? That's amazing, I remember playing with qBasic on my old win 3.11 machine in Elementary.

I was a terrible programmer back then :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Merlinblack said:
I second that.

7 Years old eh? That's amazing, I remember playing with qBasic on my old win 3.11 machine in Elementary.

I was a terrible programmer back then :p

Hehe, yeah I guess I am a bit of an old fogie compared to others on these boards. Macs weren't even out until I was 11 years old.
:black:

J

JMan09

the first time i used one was in 5th grade(9 years ago) and i didnt really like macs back then. But now I want to leave windows, but need money to buy a mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.