My airport express barely works when i'm within 10 ft

Reaction score
I find this an odd situation.

It started happening about 2 weeks ago and has not gotten better. When i'm within 10 ft or so of the airport express I have full bars but my internet speeds/dl speeds...everything are criminally slow to the point of being unusable. BUT...when I am in my room (about 30 feet away) I have full bars but surf at speeds one would normally expect. I've tried unplugging the express for 30 min, resetting the cable modem to no avail.

anyone have any suggestions or experiences?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like you're getting interference to the signal when within 10 feet but not when 30 feet away. Experiment by moving around within your home to see where the signal is weakest and strongest.

Do you have any cordless phones nearby? The operate at around the same frequency that wireless does. How about very close neighbors that might be causing interference?

OP
A
Reaction score
we live in a corner unit. the other side of the wall is actually a stairwell, so i'm not sure a neighbor would have put anything there that could effect.

Nothing has changed in the room with which the air express is in. All we have in there is the television and my xbox 360, both of which were in there when the router was working fine before the problem started. I suppose I could plug the express into another outlet 10 feet away and see if the problem persists. Just not sure why it started happening all the sudden.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.