PDA

View Full Version : Is this illegal? Would you do this?

MYmacROX
02-20-2011, 09:27 PM
I swear I don't go looking for these things (based on my recent rant about bad parenting)...
This is at a Chili's in Phoenix, AZ. So, although today is Sunday, there are no "blue laws" in AZ. Meaning that you can order/purchase alcohol on a Sunday unlike a few other states in the U.S. that still have blue laws.

So, is it legal for someone underage (especially a 6 or 7 yr old) to sit at the bar? Maybe it is in some states and not others. There were other tables in the bar area 10 feet away and there were LOTS of tables in the general dining area too (I was sitting at one).

And would you do this with your child? I find it a little disturbing, irresponsible, and just "weird" and "creepy". Sorry, that's just how it made me feel. I know it's just a restaurant and not some "seedy" biker bar. But something about the whole situation just felt plain wrong.

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy263/Joelathon1/IMG_0237.jpg

schweb
02-20-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm sure it's legal, can't see why it wouldn't be.

Not, is it ethical? I don't think so. I also think it should call into question the character of the parent that thinks that's ok to do.

MYmacROX
02-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Yeah, you're right. Silly of me to actually look up the legality of it after I posted this. Sorry. It is technically legal in the state of Arizona.

I guess the more important point is how appropriate is it? I can't understand why a person would do that since there were other seating options.

schweb
02-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Well I mean AZ is the state that almost elected Sharon Angle and is about two-thirds of the way to making it illegal to be anything other than white so who knows what is really legal there. :)

Maybe it's not legal? Lol

MYmacROX
02-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Well I mean AZ is the state that almost elected Sharon Angle and is about two-thirds of the way to making it illegal to be anything other than white so who knows what is really legal there.

Easy, killer. Don't open that can of worms. :Angry:

schweb
02-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Yeah, you're right. Silly of me to actually look up the legality of it after I posted this. Sorry. It is technically legal in the state of Arizona.

I guess the more important point is how appropriate is it? I can't understand why a person would do that since there were other seating options.

Did the person work there?

osxx
02-20-2011, 10:12 PM
I was going to say with the economy the way it is the childs mother could work there and
at least she is keeping an eye on her not that a bar is an ideal situation but I can tolerate
that better than letting them stay home alone till the parent gets off work.

XJ-linux
02-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Well I mean AZ is the state that almost elected Sharon Angle and is about two-thirds of the way to making it illegal to be anything other than white so who knows what is really legal there. :)

Oh brother...

iWhat
02-20-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm sure it's legal, can't see why it wouldn't be.

Not, is it ethical? I don't think so. I also think it should call into question the character of the parent that thinks that's ok to do.

schweb knows a lot about the legality this, his mom brought him along to many nights at the bar as a child, where she dance... I mean worked.

baggss
02-20-2011, 10:42 PM
It's illegal in most states but I'm not sure about Az....

cwa107
02-20-2011, 11:03 PM

Definitely illegal here.... used to work as a bar back at a ChiChi's back in my college days, and remember having to have a heated chat with more than a few parents about this. Particularly when the restaurant was on a long wait and people were looking for a place to pacify their kids (why they thought the bar was the right place, I'll never know).

robduckyworth
02-20-2011, 11:05 PM
its not illegal in the UK, i used to do this as a kid all the time.

MYmacROX
02-21-2011, 12:23 AM

Not in AZ. I researched online. But the law does state minors must be accompanied by parent or legal guardian.

Did the person work there?

I didn't ask the older guy sitting next to her.

I was going to say with the economy the way it is the childs mother could work there and
at least she is keeping an eye on her not that a bar is an ideal situation but I can tolerate
that better than letting them stay home alone till the parent gets off work.

Well, obviously leaving a child that age at home would be worse. I just don't think I'd have them sitting at the bar. If you look at the pic, there's a nearby booth in the background within sight of the bartender. But anyways, she was sitting with the older guy at the bar.

I was just surprised by this because I come from the Midwest (born and raised for 22+ yrs) and some things still seem inappropriate/unacceptable to me that others may feel is "ok". I remember as a teenager in Indiana I couldn't even sit anywhere in the bar area at a bowling alley that we went to for lunch when I worked construction. The guys were mad at me cause I was the only one under 21 and we had to sit at the tables outside the bar doors which was the law in that state at that time. No one in our group was even drinking. It was just the only good place for a burger in that tiny town we were building some houses in.

CrimsonRequiem
02-21-2011, 12:32 AM
Obviously a bar is no place for a child. For one thing they are taking up a seat that belongs to a potential customer.

Judging from that photo it didn't look particular busy. >_>"

Looks like they didn't want to spend the money for a babysitter?

SleeperSS
02-21-2011, 12:33 AM
I have no opinions one way or the other...however, maybe the kid asked to sit at the counter because she thought it would be fun. My bro-in-law owns a restaurant that has counter seating and kids are always pestering their parents to sit there. If the counter was crowded I wouldn't let her sit there but the place looks pretty empty.

iWhat
02-21-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm more concerned, if she is in the smoking section.

SleeperSS
02-21-2011, 12:54 AM
Unfortunately smoke hasn't learned how to stay in it's section. It looks like it's pretty empty...at least where she is.

CrimsonRequiem
02-21-2011, 01:25 AM
Unfortunately smoke hasn't learned how to stay in it's section. It looks like it's pretty empty...at least where she is.

There is no such thing as a smoking section.

Feniks80
02-21-2011, 01:48 AM
I remember going to work with my mom when i was 7, the first thing i thought of was, she's a child of an employee. She could be waiting for dad/mom to get off work, maybe her parents went out to eat and know the employees.

iggibar
02-21-2011, 09:48 AM
It's not illegal. Just because you sit at a bar does not mean you will get drinks with alcohol. And the child taking up the seat of a potential customer is not really that accurate either, because they do have drinks other than alcohol, and plus, she got to that seat first, it would be illegal to kick her out.

schweb
02-21-2011, 09:52 AM
it would be illegal to kick her out.

I don't know if I'd say that. It's a private business, they can make their own rules.

iggibar
02-21-2011, 10:20 AM
I don't know if I'd say that. It's a private business, they can make their own rules.

That's true, they do have their own rules, but kicking someone out, regardless of age, for them taking out a potential customer, doesn't fit that case. If they had a problem with it, they would have never let her sit down to begin with.

pam14160
02-21-2011, 10:22 AM
I thought Chilli's was a family restaurant. Boy sure wish this was the only worry I had in life.

schweb
02-21-2011, 10:23 AM
That's true, they do have their own rules, but kicking someone out, regardless of age, for them taking out a potential customer, doesn't fit that case.

You sure about that? Airlines make overweight people pay for two seats sometimes because they may take up room from a potential customer.

I'm not saying it would be nice of them to do, but there's certainly nothing illegal about. Heck, Applebee's could ask you leave just because they don't like the color of your shirt if they felt like it. There's nothing illegal about it, they can do what they like. Your recourse would be not to go there again and tell everyone you know how stupid they are. :)

osxx
02-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Most if not all places in Houston have a sign saying they have the right to refuse business
and where alcohol is concerned no one under the age of 18 without parent or legal guardian.
Smoking has been outlawed indoors here for a couple of years thats why so many new places
have patios.

iggibar
02-21-2011, 10:35 AM
You sure about that? Airlines make overweight people pay for two seats sometimes because they may take up room from a potential customer.

Which is why I said this:

That's true, they do have their own rules, but kicking someone out, regardless of age, for them taking out a potential customer, doesn't fit that case. If they had a problem with it, they would have never let her sit down to begin with.

iWhat
02-21-2011, 11:23 AM
I know in the state of Ohio among others, any business can legally refuse service based on sexual orientation.

schweb
02-21-2011, 11:32 AM
schweb knows a lot about the legality this, his mom brought him along to many nights at the bar as a child, where she dance... I mean worked.

There you go again iWhat. Confusing reality for your Lifetime movies. You must have fallen asleep to the latest Meredith Baxter Birney marathon again.

iWhat
02-21-2011, 11:38 AM
There you go again iWhat. Confusing reality for your Lifetime movies. You must have fallen asleep to the latest Meredith Baxter Birney marathon again.

I've moved on from Meredith Baxter; it's all about Sigourney Weaver. Nobody can ever take "Prayers for Bobby" away from me! NOBODY! :'(

SweetCosmicPope
02-21-2011, 12:06 PM
I don't particularly see a problem with this, assuming a couple of things:

1) The possibility this is the child of an employee.
2) The fact that this is a family restaurant, and not strictly a bar, where they could merely be ordering some appetizers while they wait to be seated.
3) They could be making a "to-go" order at the bar, like many Chili's restaurants have you do.

Of course, you know what they say happens when you assume...

I'd say it would be a bigger deal if it was an actual bar, especially if there was smoking permissable, as opposed to the bar section of a restaurant. Personally, we've taken our son to sit at the bar with us many times while we waited to be seated, and munched on oysters with a glass of wine, and ordered up our son an apple juice.

MYmacROX
02-21-2011, 12:43 PM
I don't particularly see a problem with this, assuming a couple of things:

2) The fact that this is a family restaurant, and not strictly a bar, where they could merely be ordering some appetizers while they wait to be seated.
3) They could be making a "to-go" order at the bar, like many Chili's restaurants have you do.

Of course, you know what they say happens when you assume...

I'd say it would be a bigger deal if it was an actual bar, especially if there was smoking permissable, as opposed to the bar section of a restaurant. Personally, we've taken our son to sit at the bar with us many times while we waited to be seated, and munched on oysters with a glass of wine, and ordered up our son an apple juice.

I completely see your point about if you're waiting to be seated.
They were there before my wife and I sat down and still there after we left (30 - 40 minutes). Plenty of empty tables in the restaurant and even a couple of open tables in the bar "area". She was sitting with a man and he was not in uniform. So it's not like Mom or Dad was at work and she was sitting there to be supervised. I didn't even see the bartender for more than a minute, so it's not like "Dad" was friends with the bartender and wanted to sit there to chat and see his "buddy" or anything. Just something about it was weird/unusual. Whatever.
I guess I was wondering if I'm the only one who finds it a little odd and if anyone else would think to do this with their child.

SweetCosmicPope
02-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I don't think I would just take my kid and sit at a bar, restaurant or otherwise, simply for getting my drink on. Not exactly the kind of quality time I picture spending with my kid.

Tater2Stock
02-21-2011, 07:27 PM

It is always makes you look a lot smarter when you take a dig like that at at entire state to get your facts correct.

Sharron Angle is in Nevada.

baggss
02-21-2011, 07:33 PM
its not illegal in the UK, i used to do this as a kid all the time.

You guys start drinking before you are born so that's no surprise...:D

All of which would still make it illegal in many states. I do know this would be illegal in Cali, I believe it may be illegal in Ky (my wife's sister used to be a bar tender in Louisville), I know it's NOT illegal in Nv or Tx.

Should it be illegal? That's up the voters of any given state. That being said, if I go to an establishment as an adult to have a few drinks the last think I want to hear is the chattering of someones rugrats while I'm enjoying my Scotch.

XJ-linux
02-21-2011, 09:45 PM
It is always makes you look a lot smarter when you take a dig like that at at entire state to get your facts correct.

Facts like that are immaterial when it comes to politics around here. Don't even get sucked in. ;)

schweb
02-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Facts like that are immaterial when it comes to politics around here. Don't even get sucked in. ;)

As you know better than anyone ;)

schweb
02-21-2011, 09:51 PM

Sorry. AZ and NV are almost the same to me, it's all a big desert, sometimes I get confused. :P

baggss
02-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Sorry. AZ and NV are almost the same to me, it's all a big desert, sometimes I get confused. :P

You need to add Utah and New Mexico into that mix....

schweb
02-21-2011, 10:30 PM
You need to add Utah and New Mexico into that mix....

Call it New Nevazonatah.

CrimsonRequiem
02-21-2011, 11:21 PM
Call it New Nevazonatah.

Complete drop of the Mexico part, huh?

robduckyworth
02-21-2011, 11:49 PM
You guys start drinking before you are born so that's no surprise...:D

you got that right :D

Chris H.
02-22-2011, 01:19 AM
Complete drop of the Mexico part, huh?

Wouldn't improve anything 'round here. We have an idiot for a governor.

I'm only being honest.

If we could have a different governor under the new name, I and probably about half the population of New Mexico would be grateful.

robduckyworth
02-22-2011, 01:45 AM
Wouldn't improve anything 'round here. We have an idiot for a governor.

I'm only being honest.

If we could have a different governor under the new name, I and probably about half the population of New Mexico would be grateful.

i wasnt talking about new mexico, i was talking about the UK lol :P

Chris H.
02-22-2011, 02:10 AM
i wasnt talking about new mexico, i was talking about the UK lol :P

Whoopsy! Now changing quotation. :Blushing:

maschwa
02-22-2011, 10:52 AM
as a young kid my parents would go to a nice restaurant every sunday after church and while we sat at the bar, my parents would enjoy a cocktail and the bartender would make my sister and i ice cream cones.

WigWag Workshop
02-22-2011, 12:44 PM
I believe in WI, not only can a kid sit at the bar, but can also drink if parent(s) are there.

zewazir
02-23-2011, 07:20 PM
My daughter loves to sit at the counter in those restaurants and cafes that have them.

In some states which have relatively lax alcohol laws (you can buy a drink almost anywhere), that means sitting at the "bar". I don't see the big deal in it. In fact, IMHO, if we made less of a big deal out of alcohol being a "grown up" only thing, thus turning it into a right of passage, maybe we'd have less troubles with it.