PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Fans Rejoice!

RavingMac
02-20-2011, 05:05 PM
The next few years look to be good ones for Marvel fans.

Thor and Captain America movies in 2011
Avengers movie in 2012
Ant Man, and possible sequels of Hulk and Spiderman to follow

Looking forward to this summer! :)

CrimsonRequiem
02-20-2011, 05:18 PM
I was just talking about this same thing with my friends. While we are looking forward to it we think it might be epic fail at the same time. >_<"

I'm looking forward for the Avengers though.

Doug b
02-20-2011, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't be too sure of the whole rejoicing thing. Thus far, I can't say that what we have so far is worth talking about. None of the marvel comic adaptations have been able to hold a candle to DC's Batman, with the exception of Iron Man. Iron Man 2 was alright, but not as good as The Dark Knight in terms of sequels. The rest of the offerings are meh. I do enjoy the campiness of the X Men but pt. 3 was awful, and Wolverine Origins was embarrassing IMO.

Spiderman 1 was fairly decent, with good character development and such, but performances were stunted because of stupid reasons.. like the fact that what's her name stinks *can't remember the name of the girl that played Mary Jane for some reason*.

Hulk in any of its forms is HORRIBLE. They could have been great given a good plot and direction. Edward Norton walked into a complete cluster F on that one, and he is actually ideal for that role. Eric Bana, while a good actor, just didn't do crap with it, and that whole movie was just a cheesy mess. Not even my super hot girlfriend Jennifer Connoly was able to distract me from it!

As for the other Marvel movies, they are SO not even worth mentioning!

Doug

baggss
02-20-2011, 05:31 PM
I see epic fail in some cases. The Capt. America movie just looks terrible. Haven't see trailers for Thor yet. Spiderman has been good so far, they just need to keep them as good.n Hulk, well, they should have just skipped it...the old TV show was better.

RavingMac
02-20-2011, 06:03 PM
I see epic fail in some cases. The Capt. America movie just looks terrible. Haven't see trailers for Thor yet. Spiderman has been good so far, they just need to keep them as good.n Hulk, well, they should have just skipped it...the old TV show was better.

I actually liked the 2nd Hulk, but that may have been because the first was so dreadful I was just happy for anything to take taste out of my mouth.

BTW: You can't judge by the trailer obviously, but FWIW the Thor trailer looks pretty good.

Kash
02-20-2011, 06:06 PM
It's going to be a good couple of years for DC as well: Green Lantern in 2011, Batman and Superman in 2012. Then there are all those fantastic animated movies, the latest one being All-Star Superman, with a new Green Lantern animated movie coming out right before the live action flick.

CrimsonRequiem
02-20-2011, 06:17 PM
It's going to be a good couple of years for DC as well: Green Lantern in 2011, Batman and Superman in 2012. Then there are all those fantastic animated movies, the latest one being All-Star Superman, with a new Green Lantern animated movie coming out right before the live action flick.

Oh I just saw All-Star Superman. ^-^" I didn't like the ending so much though. >_<" I want more.

baggss
02-20-2011, 09:44 PM

They've pretty much driven Batman and Superman into the ground. If they could keep a decent series of actors going but they keep changing it up and they all keep getting worse...

chscag
02-20-2011, 10:26 PM
You mean you didn't like George Reeves? How about the Adam West - Burt Ward dynamic duo? :P

Trivia: Do you remember who played Kato in the original "Green Hornet" TV series?

the8thark
02-20-2011, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't be too sure of the whole rejoicing thing.
Well that's your opinion. I quite liked Spiderman 1 and Xmen 1. Xmen 2 was alright too. They tried to have emotion and not just be hardcore action like some of the other comic book movies. Iron Man I thought was alright (but not great) too.

But the Batman series in my opinion was not without flaw too. There has been 7 Batman movies to begin with. And in my opinion I only found 2 of them to be really good. Batman and Batman Returns.

Am I rejoicing with the announcement of these new marvel movies. No. But I do hope at least one of them turns out to be really good. I'll be happy then.

RavingMac
02-20-2011, 10:52 PM
You mean you didn't like George Reeves? How about the Adam West - Burt Ward dynamic duo? :P

Trivia: Do you remember who played Kato in the original "Green Hornet" TV series?

Bruce Lee

EDIT: I have the complete original Superman series on DvD and I have to admit I still enjoy it. And Adam West as Batman was wonderful! :)

the8thark
02-20-2011, 11:45 PM
And Adam West as Batman was wonderful! :)

You didn't see much of him though in that movie. As every other second the screen was filled with Wham! And Smoosh! And Kapow! etc.

RavingMac
02-20-2011, 11:48 PM
You didn't see much of him though in that movie. As every other second the screen was filled with Wham! And Smoosh! And Kapow! etc.

Agreed!
The series was far better than the movie.

MYmacROX
02-20-2011, 11:57 PM
Also upcoming: X-Men First Class, Iron Man 3.

iWhat
02-21-2011, 12:39 AM
The first movie that I ever feel asleep to in the theaters was Fantastic Four (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120667/). Some of these Marvel Comic movies really need to spend more money on story line.

CrimsonRequiem
02-21-2011, 12:46 AM
The first movie that I ever feel asleep to in the theaters was Fantastic Four (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120667/). Some of these Marvel Comic movies really need to spend more money on story line than relying on the action to tell it.

That's why I kind of like the animated films better. Closer to the actual Comic book story line.

iWhat
02-21-2011, 12:58 AM
X-Men (and Batman - although owned by DC Comics) cartoon shows from the 90s were probably the most addictive, also Duck Tails. The X-Mex cartoons made me want to be an X-Men, is it weird I wanted to be Storm?

I do feel out of place in this thread, cause I never read one comic as a child. :(

CrimsonRequiem
02-21-2011, 01:38 AM
X-Men (and Batman - although owned by DC Comics) cartoon shows from the 90s were probably the most addictive, also Duck Tails. The X-Mex cartoons made me want to be an X-Men, is it weird I wanted to be Storm?

I do feel out of place in this thread, cause I never read one comic as a child. :(

LOL Duck tails. I vaguely remember X-Men the Animated series.

It's a little weird that you wanted to be the "Weather Witch."

Feniks80
02-21-2011, 03:11 AM
Deadpool and Nick Fury also to be in 2012.

RavingMac
02-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Deadpool and Nick Fury also to be in 2012.

Nick Fury could be quite interesting, especially if they traced him all the way from his "Howling Commandos" days. :)

Mattlike
02-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Of the ComicBook to movie adaptations happening this year, Thor looks the best to me thus far. Spiderman 2 was really good and better than the first. Ryan Reynolds doesn't really suit the role of Hal Jordan IMO, but hopefully he does a decent job.

Doug b
02-21-2011, 01:26 PM
This really has gotten me to think a bit about what is wrong with Hollywood, the writers, actors and directors they use (mostly through some nepotistic system rather than based on sheer talent or ability) don't do much justice to anything these days, whether it's an "original" story (which is never.. everything is re-hashed) or an adaptation.

But comic book adaptations IMO say the most about the people working on them, in that the whole point of a comic hero or villain and a comic story is usually to go to extremes in order express what that character or story is about. Comics are metaphorical exaggerations and have the ability to go to those extremes without losing sight of what value the actual story should encompass.

You have carté blanche with today's technology, but you also have the ability to take your time and get a top notch writer and director on board so that the character development, plot lines, side plot lines and everything in between isn't marred by trying to make a quick buck off of people with the attention span of a flea! And this is likely the problem today. These adaptations don't have to be intelligent, meaningful or even contain an actual storyline. People will still go and eat this crap up by the droves, and the money is made, and the sequels are made etc.. It's just laziness at work.

I think a good example of an adaptation that almost got it right, was The Watchmen. It was still Hollywooded the heck up of course, but hey... otherwise it would likely have gone to Indy movie houses and made very little money. Too bad that producers and studios don't have the nads to tell Hollywood to stick it.

Haha.. Fantastic Four! I completely forgot about those pieces of crud ! AWFUL ! I walked out of the first one fully embarrassed, as if I were just treated to a day out with McDonald's happy meals with 8 year olds !

Well that's your opinion. I quite liked Spiderman 1 and Xmen 1. Xmen 2 was alright too. They tried to have emotion and not just be hardcore action like some of the other comic book movies. Iron Man I thought was alright (but not great) too. Re-read what I said I guess. Those are the only movies I agreed were decent as well.

If you haven't figured it out by now, I could care less about action if it's not met with an intelligent story line and carefully written character deployment and development. Emotion has to come from those basic elements, and thus far, I've not seen many movies with those things, aside from the new Batman movies. The original with Michael Keaton was alright, and you did get some background into his character... but anyone who had read the comics had the right to be disappointed. As for the other Batman's which followed, they were ALL horrific.

I'm not really looking forward to a new Batman to be honest. Catwoman is a cheesy character, who IMO doesn't really fit into the new scheme. Freegin' Heath... his Joker was PERFECT. He was that whole movie IMO. And frankly, though I love Christian Bale, his Batman/Clint Eastwood voice is grating as all h311.

The new Superman ... I dunno. I can't really stand the thought of a Superman that caters to the Emo crowd. Just way to cliqué and niche to appeal to everybody IMO. Green Lantern. Meh. These movies seem to want to cater more to girls than super hero fans due to the campy/cheesy comedic one liners and hot dudes who star in them. Yeah I said it.. hot dudes. Besides, that DC has a pretty crummy line up of "super heros". Green lantern is just cheesy to begin with. "Yes.. I'm really powerful, with my ring" Uuugh. Aquaman ? Hahaha... Hey you! I'll get this sea horse to kick your butt ! Batman is their one saving grace. Oh, and of course Superman, sorry.

As for Thor ? Again... another hot buff dude who probably walks around half naked for most of the movie. I can't imagine it NOT being cheesy. As you can see, I have no faith in Hollywood. They rehire their friends and family instead of good actors, writers, directors 98% of the time. I'm just shocked that I haven't seen that talentless hack Adrian Brody in any comic movies yet.

Doug

the8thark
02-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Freegin' Heath... his Joker was PERFECT.
I agree with everything you said. And just my preference I liked Jack Nicholas as the Joker more. "have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight" is one of my favourite movie lines ever. Yes yes I agree ol heath deserved the awards he got for his Joker though as he did a good job of it too.

Kash
02-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Funny how people like Jack Nicholson's Joker. He was just playing Jack Nicholson in clown makeup! Heath Ledger actually played a convincing Joker.

Doug b
02-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Funny how people like Jack Nicholson's Joker. He was just playing Jack Nicholson in clown makeup! Heath Ledger actually played a convincing Joker.

I'm totally with you on that one. That's the reason they picked him for the roll I suppose. He was kind of a natural. And that line "have you ever danced etc.. " I believe was lifted from one of the novels. Heath put a LOT more of himself into that roll in order to become that persona, and did not come off as an "actor" while doing it, as Jack did. Perhaps though, a lot of it has to do with the writing. They really explored the deeper parts of Bruce/batman's relationship with the Joker on a psychological level, as opposed to the simple hero/villain roles played in the Keaton movie.

Doug

SweetCosmicPope
02-21-2011, 04:35 PM
The comic movie that's widely overlooked was The Watchmen. Best comic book movie, EVER!

I have my doubts any of these rehashes coming out will be as good. Thor looks alright, but the new Spiderman, Captain America, and Green Lantern look terrible.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the Christopher Nolan Batman series, however, and I look forward to this last one, even though I'm generally wary of trilogies.

Kash
02-21-2011, 05:28 PM
The only reason I'm hopeful for the next Superman movie is because Chris Nolan will be producing. I'm hoping beyond hope that they break from the Donner universe and not only start fresh, but have a real villain instead of the tired real estate tycoon version of Luthor.

CrimsonRequiem
02-21-2011, 08:31 PM
The comic movie that's widely overlooked was The Watchmen. Best comic book movie, EVER!

I have my doubts any of these rehashes coming out will be as good. Thor looks alright, but the new Spiderman, Captain America, and Green Lantern look terrible.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the Christopher Nolan Batman series, however, and I look forward to this last one, even though I'm generally wary of trilogies.

I don't think that it's overlooked more like not memorable. The comic is great. The movie was alright but I didn't even remember it until you mentioned it. >_>"

the8thark
02-21-2011, 10:58 PM

I just watched the Dark Knight again just now. And for me on a re think I think the two Jokers are different for a reason. I don't think they wanted Heath to be a second Jack. And Jack was predictable. As in you hire him for that kind of role and you know exactly what you get. And he delivered exactly that. Very well done in my opinion. But overall I think some liked it and others didn't.

Heath on the other hand in my opinion was more of an unknown. When I heard heath got the Joker role I was like "hmmmm I just don't know how he'll play the role". Heath was supposedly a nice person in real life. So so different from the role Joker he played. It was like you forgot the nice Heath behind the makeup and only saw the crazy Joker. So yeah for me just as brilliant as Jack but in a different way.

And yeah I'm wary of a 3rd movie too if there is one to the new Batman series. Cause of the first series Batman 1 and 2 were good but for me 3 and 4 were just terrible. All action and special effects and none of that dark brooding atmosphere we have come to associate with Batman.

And I hope the new Xmen movie is better then the Wolverine one. I'm looking forward to it. But I think I'll wait for the reviews on it. Cause if it's a 2nd wolverine (in terms of movie quality) I won't be watching it.

I've never seen The Watchmen. But based on the recommendations of it I'll have to take a look into it. Thanks for the advice.

Feniks80
02-22-2011, 03:32 AM
If the first one wasn't bad enough, Ghost Rider 2 in 2012.

CrimsonRequiem
02-22-2011, 03:53 AM
If the first one wasn't bad enough, Ghost Rider 2 in 2012.

Wow that brings back memories. >_>"

RavingMac
02-22-2011, 09:54 AM
I just watched the Dark Knight again just now. And for me on a re think I think the two Jokers are different for a reason. I don't think they wanted Heath to be a second Jack. And Jack was predictable. As in you hire him for that kind of role and you know exactly what you get. And he delivered exactly that. Very well done in my opinion. But overall I think some liked it and others didn't.

Heath on the other hand in my opinion was more of an unknown. When I heard heath got the Joker role I was like "hmmmm I just don't know how he'll play the role". Heath was supposedly a nice person in real life. So so different from the role Joker he played. It was like you forgot the nice Heath behind the makeup and only saw the crazy Joker. So yeah for me just as brilliant as Jack but in a different way.

And yeah I'm wary of a 3rd movie too if there is one to the new Batman series. Cause of the first series Batman 1 and 2 were good but for me 3 and 4 were just terrible. All action and special effects and none of that dark brooding atmosphere we have come to associate with Batman.

Everyone has different tastes, but for me the last two Batman movies are too dark.
I know Heath Ledger was brilliant, but I prefer my movies on the lighter side, not neccessarily a true comedy, but with enough to cut the edginess. To me the first Ironman strikes almost the perfect balance, as did the first Batman movie.

Doug b
02-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Everyone has different tastes, but for me the last two Batman movies are too dark.
I know Heath Ledger was brilliant, but I prefer my movies on the lighter side, not neccessarily a true comedy, but with enough to cut the edginess. To me the first Ironman strikes almost the perfect balance, as did the first Batman movie.

You can have your taste all you want.. but Batman is not supposed to be light hearted slap stick. If you've ever read any of the graphic novels, you'd get that. Even the original comics were dark. His whole existence was born from inner struggle and conflict with trying to choose the right balance between vengeance and doing what is right.

The first new Batman movie depicts this. It could have been even darker, as far as I'm concerned. It could have had less of the pretty Hollywood props and just purely dealt with the pure human aspects of mental struggle.

I think this is why Heath and the character they wrote for him were perfect.

Doug

RavingMac
02-22-2011, 10:48 AM
You can have your taste all you want.. but Batman is not supposed to be light hearted slap stick. If you've ever read any of the graphic novels, you'd get that. Even the original comics were dark. His whole existence was born from inner struggle and conflict with trying to choose the right balance between vengeance and doing what is right.

The first new Batman movie depicts this. It could have been even darker, as far as I'm concerned. It could have had less of the pretty Hollywood props and just purely dealt with the pure human aspects of mental struggle.

I think this is why Heath and the character they wrote for him were perfect.

Doug

But, the graphic novels came way after my comic book reading days. And, the originals (though darker than some of the comics of the day) were no where near as dark as in the last two movies.
Again, everyone's taste is different. And, I understand that movies are geared toward the wider audience, but still I like what I like. I just don't always get what I like.

MYmacROX
02-22-2011, 12:19 PM

I'm with you on this. The Dark Knight was just too "dark". I grew up on the live TV series Batman and Robin with Adam West as Batman. Although, I wouldn't enjoy an exact movie version of that style (a little too light-hearted), I don't enjoy the "psychotic" characters either. Heath Ledger did a great job at acting in that role, but it wasn't a character I enjoyed. I'd appreciate more of an in-between Nicholson and Ledger's Jokers.

I liked all of the X-Men movies, including Wolverine. X-Men II was a little weaker but that's typical of trilogies. Look at the first 3 Indiana Jones, LOTR, Star Wars IV-VI... that's all I can think of at the moment. There are some exceptions of course - Rocky I and II were better than III and IV. Superman I and II were better than III and IV.

CrimsonRequiem
02-22-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm with you on this. The Dark Knight was just too "dark". I grew up on the live TV series Batman and Robin with Adam West as Batman. Although, I wouldn't enjoy an exact movie version of that style (a little too light-hearted), I don't enjoy the "psychotic" characters either. Heath Ledger did a great job at acting in that role, but it wasn't a character I enjoyed. I'd appreciate more of an in-between Nicholson and Ledger's Jokers.

I liked all of the X-Men movies, including Wolverine. X-Men II was a little weaker but that's typical of trilogies. Look at the first 3 Indiana Jones, LOTR, Star Wars IV-VI... that's all I can think of at the moment. There are some exceptions of course - Rocky I and II were better than III and IV. Superman I and II were better than III and IV.

I vaguely remember watching this too as a child. I always wondered about the beer belly though. >_>" Cause my Batman action figure didn't look anything like that. >_<"

Doug b
02-22-2011, 12:56 PM
I too grew up with Adam West as Batman. I watched it, and I guess I liked it but.. I WAS a kid. I much prefer his role on Family guy now. :D

Doug

Feniks80
02-22-2011, 08:21 PM

Finally! someone else who likes Origins. X-men Origins it wasn't bad unless you were a die hard know it all X-men buff.