AirPort Extreme Reception

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33(Snow Leopard)
Hi.

I've just bought and set up a latest model of AirPort Extreme with the latest firmware version installed. And also I've positioned it at the center of my house.

Sure I get quite good reception when near. But I can't really say that for my room. Right now, I get 32% of reception in my room. But I want something like 75% at least.

The Extreme is under some furniture like in the picture. On the right there is a thick wall. And my room is after that wall.

I've read that positioning the Extreme higher would give me better reception. So let's say I mounted Extreme on to the wall higher than now. Will my reception in my room rise from 32% percent to something I'd like? I know it's not something concrete and really dependent on the environment but could you at least give me something. Really need some guidance before buying something extra?

Or do I need an AirPort Express with also positioning the Extreme higher for better reception?

Thanks and kind regards.

P.S. also. does positioning the Extreme vertically or horizontally changes it's reception?

airport_express.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well here's the question, are actually noticing a degradation in performance or would you just "like" a higher percent?

Positioning it won't really change the fact if you have a lot of interference or construction materials between you and any router.

I have mine in the basement 2 floors below where my MBP is usually and my performance is stellar. Don't focus on the signal percent unless it's actually causing a problem.

OP
cansurmeli
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No I don't think that there is a problem. In my opinion it's normal what I'm getting.

I'm just trying to make the situation better with what I have at first. But it seems that I'm gonna need an AirPort Express.

So just to be exact. Your saying that if mount the Extreme higher it won't make any much difference or any difference at all, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No I don't think that there is a problem. In my opinion it's normal what I'm getting.

I'm just trying to make the situation better with what I have at first. But it seems that I'm gonna need an AirPort Express.

So just to be exact. Your saying that if mount the Extreme higher it won't make any much difference or any difference at all, right?

I would say it would make very little difference if you move it higher. The main issue is probably the wall construction between you and the Airport.

But if you're performance is normal, there's not a lot to worry about.

OP
cansurmeli
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My performance is not that bad but my iPhone can't see my network from where I sit in my room when my iMac can.

Also my brother's room is next to me. His MacBook Pro can connect but his PS3 can't. So sadly no online games. :D

I think I'm gonna go for an AirPort Express. I understand that(thanks to you schweb :D) I can't do more about Extreme's positioning.

My question is that would an AirPort Express be sufficient for what I need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It might, but remember, unless it has a decent signal, it won't be able to boost it at all. You can always get one and try it out though. If it doesn't work, you could always just return it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aso did you try putting the Airport on top of the table just to see if it made a difference?

OP
cansurmeli
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No. I thought about it but never tried. I'm gonna try it soon.

OP
cansurmeli
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I finally tried putting the Extreme on the table. More than that I asked my father to hold it higher than the table when I checked the signal strength in my room.

It didn't made any difference. For some time the signal strength went up to 40% percent and then went down again and stayed the same. I don't know how that happened. I mean it wasn't that much when the Extreme was higher than the table. Even if it had something to do with placing the Extreme higher the results weren't like what I was expecting.

As a result, I don't think that placing the Extreme higher would make much of a difference. I think an AirPort Express is my best choice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.