DVD Burner

Reaction score
Hello, Hope someone can lead me in the right direction. I have a new Imac , and have an external DVD burner that is hooked up and plays dvd's.
But what I cannot figure out is how to burn music, or video to it.
Would I need a seperate program to do this? The DVD burner came with an install disc , but I did not install it, because the DVD player worked without it.
A friend installed Handbrake and Mac the Ripper, so I have a few video files saved as MKV files that I would like to eventually burn.
But I would also like the capability to do a direct DVD burn also.
Thanks,
Jim

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
why have you got an external? your superdrive will do this.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Most third party DVD burners will come with some form of "lite" burning suite. Usually these are Windows-only. That's likely what's on the disc that came with your drive, but it probably won't do video conversion and then burning subsequent to that - which is likely what you're after. No drivers are needed for burners as they use a standard bus type that is supported inherently by the OS.

If you're looking for a comprehensive burning suite that will do video conversion on-the-fly, you should check out Roxio's Toast.

Otherwise, be aware that Finder can burn data files. Disk Utility will burn disc images (like ISO and DMG files). iTunes can burn audio CDs. And of course, iDVD can burn video DVDs.

Another option is the open source Burn, but I don't believe it does any kind of video file conversion.

Also you mentioned that you're using MacTheRipper - do note that we do not permit discussion of commercial DVD ripping here.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have an external burner for the sole purpose of saving wear and tear on the mac dvd drive.
Thanks CWA107, I wil check Roxio out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.