Using a Proxy with Mac PowerBook + Firefox

G

GundamSV7

I'm trying to establish a proxy on my Mac PowerBook G4 and my browser of choice is Firefox. I read up on some tutorials about how to go about setting up a proxy on a mac, and I followed all the instructions, but when I check my IP at www.whatismyip.com, it remains the same. Anybody have any idea as to what's wrong?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
First, let's make sure you got it set up right. Go the Prefs. in Firefox, General, then click on Connection Settings. Click on "Manual proxy configuration" and enter in the HTTP Proxy and the Port. Then press OK.

OP
G

GundamSV7

O, thanks a lot, I'm still getting used to Macs, I used to have a IBM Thinkpad T42, but i kinda spilled beer all over it and my dad gave me this spare mac powerbook g4 instead. My mistake earlier was people kept telling me to edit the network proxy settings in my system preferences.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Yeah, it's a lot easier and fast in Firefox than changing it from the System Prefs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.