Weighing in the switch to windows... from a long time Mac user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
So I've been around on Mac-Forums for the past few years, previously a pretty avid user, but lately been on hiatus. Busy, busy, busy.

I know this is generally not the situation for this forum, to consider the switch to windows after having been a pretty avid Apple user for the last 10-15 years and even a bit back during OS8 and OS9.

So here's the situation, I'm in Architecture school and for the past 4 or so years of it I've been using a series of MacBook Pros. I've been using vectorworks and a couple other more homegrown type modeling applications. The school has in the past had a pretty major push towards Apple Products and we utilize them mostly because in the past they were the better graphic renderers. This is not so much the case anymore, with more products being released that are as good or better than Macs at graphics.

Now we have been slipping away using programs like Autocad, Rhino, Revit, etc...

Now I know Autocad is back to Mac but the the software is incredibly buggy and the plotting methods are horrendous. I never crash on Autocad on my windows side, whereas on the Mac version, a program crash is inevitable almost every hour. Rhino3D for Mac is likewise in development but missing some major components I have to have and not nearly at the stage it needs to be for day to day stability.

I'm thinking since I spend practically 90% of my time on my windows side of my Mac now, its almost useless to have the Mac. The hardware's great, the battery last an amazing amount of time, but how useful is it to me if I can't utilize the potential of OS X.

I think it's still a long time off for both a stable version of Autocad for Mac and Rhino3D.

What is everyone's opinion?
Is it really worth having my Macbook Pro for the hardware alone?
Is it worth it if I'm on windows 90% of the time?

Appreciate your opinions greatly, thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Can't really argue with 90% of the time. Use what works best for you and allows you to do your job most efficiently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
In my opinion if money isn't tight and you need to run Windoze all the time the Mac hardware is better than a ton of the crap out there. I personally would do it if I had to run Windoze all the time. Just my two cents.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I kind of agree with the opinions of the last two posts. Think about how much you would have to spend on a top end Windows machine that can adequately run Cad and all your other architecture software. The cost would be the same or even more than a good MBP.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Would the software you need run well under Boot Camp? In addition to saving the cost of new hardware you retain the option to run Mac software any time it would be beneficial.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Would the software you need run well under Boot Camp? In addition to saving the cost of new hardware you retain the option to run Mac software any time it would be beneficial.

I think that's what the OP is already doing...

I'm thinking since I spend practically 90% of my time on my windows side of my Mac now, its almost useless to have the Mac. The hardware's great, the battery last an amazing amount of time, but how useful is it to me if I can't utilize the potential of OS X.

OP
milessthomas
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
I think that's what the OP is already doing...

You would be correct.

I kind of agree with the opinions of the last two posts. Think about how much you would have to spend on a top end Windows machine that can adequately run Cad and all your other architecture software. The cost would be the same or even more than a good MBP.

In addition to the two posters before you I appreciate your quick responses. I do have the maxed out MacBook Pro from last year. The Core 2 Duo with 3.06 Ghz processor and maxed out ram.

Processing your input it seems like I was being a bit irrational. I already put the money into this MacBook Pro which I'll never make back what I spent. It's a more than adequate machine for running windows, along with my software and being able to switch back to OS X (ya know when I'm missing it's far superior operating system).

Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
*You have a good, reliable, quality built notebook with a vibrant display.
*Running Windows on it to meet your needs works.
*You have the option to use OS X when you want.
*You have that excellent trackpad.

You have the best of both worlds as I see it, and if it ain't broke, why try to fix it? :)

Getting a windows laptop that meets all of the above criteria, even when you take the ability to run OS X on it out of the equation isn't going to happen, but getting as close as possible to the above including build quality and vibrant display would still cost you a pretty penny!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for noticing that MYmacROx. Missed that tidbit when I read the thread the first time. I was aiming at exactly chscag pointed out. He did a much better job explaining things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.