New VZW iPhone owners - accidental damage insurance

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not sure about AT&T, but Verizon offers a $10/mo. insurance program that protects against loss/theft/accidental damage, etc. I had opted for this, but a friend of mine pointed out that Squaretrade is offering a better warranty with a lower deductible on sale right now for $81:

Verizon iPhone Insurance Alternative | iPhone 4 Insurance | SquareTrade iPhone Warranty | SquareTrade Warranties

Not bad compared to $240 for Verizon's coverage over the course of 2 years. Did a bit of research on Squaretrade and people seem to be satisfied with them. For $81, and considering how susceptible the iPhone 4 seems to be, it seems like pretty cheap insurance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
AT&T has something, but it sucks. If I remember reading the e-mail correctly it was $250 up front (just to sign up) AND $10/month. In the end you paid for a whole new phone. This is one of those areas where competition will probably be good. It'll force AT&T to improve things like this.

I'll have to see if I can dig out the e-mail and post it here....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I didn't even think AT&T offered insurance for the iPhone, I thought it was excluded from the program?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got the e-mail about a week before the VZW announcement. I suspect it had something to do with that.

Reaction score
I have a friend that is a State Farm Agent. One of our other buddies was busting his chops about insuring all of his families phones. Apparently, if they weren't pulling my leg, you can insure your phone through State Farm for about $50 per year. Dunk it, lose it, grind it, etc and you get a replacement. I need to check it out but has anyone else heard about this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a friend that is a State Farm Agent. One of our other buddies was busting his chops about insuring all of his families phones. Apparently, if they weren't pulling my leg, you can insure your phone through State Farm for about $50 per year. Dunk it, lose it, grind it, etc and you get a replacement. I need to check it out but has anyone else heard about this?

Most home owners/renter insurance will cover your phone just as it would cover your TV or Stereo. You just need to check with your agent.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Not sure that I would want to file a claim on my homeowners over a $500 phone. The long-term rate increase probably wouldn't be worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure that I would want to file a claim on my homeowners over a $500 phone. The long-term rate increase probably wouldn't be worth it.

I think it depends on your policy. You can get specific insurance to cover electronics as part of your policy these days, vice the general policy, and the rates are pretty reasonable. My renters policy has a $50 deductible for lost, stolen or damaged electronics. It includes my phones, TVs computers etc....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most home owners policies offer what is called "scheduling". Which means you can separately insure high value items such as your wife's diamond engagement ring set, electronics, and so forth. Otherwise your home owner's policy would insure those items according to their deductible. Most policies here in Texas are written with a 1% deductible. Which means a $1000 deductible for a home valued at $100,000.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbookpro, ipad, ipod, iphone (Verizon)
The cost of the Verizon iphone warranty is $10.99 or $132 a year. I had trouble finding a copy of the policy but finally did. It is TEC Asurion and this is the link I found:Calling Features: Total Equipment Coverage – now with Mobile Recovery
I got the first bill and I did get the $10.99 charge but in the description of the policy, it says that that rate is for the tablets. Anyway, it also says there is a $129 deductible per claim and it is remanufactured equipment. They also offer mobile recovery which you can get yourself with "find my iphone". I know the cost of the phones is high but this seems to not be worth it. I have never lost a phone or gotten one wet but i have had one go bad on me so I am canceling it. The $69 Applecare plan sounds good for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
I set up with state farm at one point for my Digital SLR and multiple lenses for $35 a year..
$3500 value in camera equipment.

and as they said i cold toss it down a volcano myself and it would be covered no deductible.

Reaction score
Another dilemma . . . first, which case to protect my iPhone with & now insuring it. I was all set to purchase the Apple Care Plan, but the SquareTrade sounds like a great way to go. Can anyone recommend one over the other? There are pros & cons to both options which makes this a hard decision.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keep in mind that AppleCare is NOT insurance. It's an extended warranty. If you drop the phone, get it wet, break a screen, or otherwise damage it, you're out of luck. I have never used Squaretrade before, but the reviews look solid and you can't beat the price.

Reaction score
Another dilemma . . . first, which case to protect my iPhone with & now insuring it. I was all set to purchase the Apple Care Plan, but the SquareTrade sounds like a great way to go. Can anyone recommend one over the other? There are pros & cons to both options which makes this a hard decision.

I have the Otterbox defender case & it is awesome. Highly recommended.
Personally the SquareTrade deal sounds like the way to go.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The cost of the Verizon iphone warranty is $10.99 or $132 a year. I had trouble finding a copy of the policy but finally did. It is TEC Asurion and this is the link I found:Calling Features: Total Equipment Coverage – now with Mobile Recovery
I got the first bill and I did get the $10.99 charge but in the description of the policy, it says that that rate is for the tablets. Anyway, it also says there is a $129 deductible per claim and it is remanufactured equipment. They also offer mobile recovery which you can get yourself with "find my iphone". I know the cost of the phones is high but this seems to not be worth it. I have never lost a phone or gotten one wet but i have had one go bad on me so I am canceling it. The $69 Applecare plan sounds good for me.

The Squaretrade insurance has a $50 deductible. It's $81 (right now) for two years. Compare that to Verizon/Asurion at $11/mo for 24 months and you're out $264. Also, that insurance does not cover manufacturer defects or full submersion in liquid, which the Squaretrade does.

AppleCare is NOT, repeat NOT insurance. It is simply an extended warranty. This is an important distinction - a warranty covers you against a manufacturer's defect. In solid-state electronics with no moving parts, that is extremely rare. Compared to the risk of dropping the phone, losing it, having it stolen, etc, it's almost non-existent. Now, it does buy you 2 years of toll-free, 24/7 tech support - but if you're fairly savvy with electronics, I'm sure you could do without it.

Reaction score
Based on what I've read here, I think I'm going to go with the SquareTrade insurance.

BTW, thanks to this thread because I called my insurance company to see about having my iPhone covered under my homeowners insurance & they recommended removing the jewelry I have covered to it's own policy.

So, I scored twice by reading this thread!

Thanks,
Mel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbookpro, ipad, ipod, iphone (Verizon)
I did some research and the Squaretrade deal sounds like the best deal and the most reliable. I found it for $99 on Amazon and on the Squaretrade site but I haven't seen it anywhere for $81.
I called and canceled the Verizon policy. It really irked me that $2 of that charge was for "Mobile Recovery" which sounds exactly like the free "find my iphone" program.
I also checked out the Otterbox site and it does look like a good case but they don't have the full line available for Verizon iphones yet and the ATT ones won't work.

Reaction score
I did some research and the Squaretrade deal sounds like the best deal and the most reliable. I found it for $99 on Amazon and on the Squaretrade site but I haven't seen it anywhere for $81.
I called and canceled the Verizon policy. It really irked me that $2 of that charge was for "Mobile Recovery" which sounds exactly like the free "find my iphone" program.
I also checked out the Otterbox site and it does look like a good case but they don't have the full line available for Verizon iphones yet and the ATT ones won't work.

I bought my Otterbox defender case @ Best Buy & it fits like a glove. So they do make one specifically for the Verizon Iphone.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did some research and the Squaretrade deal sounds like the best deal and the most reliable. I found it for $99 on Amazon and on the Squaretrade site but I haven't seen it anywhere for $81

It was on Squaretrade's site (not the iPhone app), but it did read as a limited time offer. My guess is that it went back to the original price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle
This is probably a silly question... but what happens if you have SquareTrade and your phone is lost/stolen? That isn't covered under ST. I'd like to get the ST coverage but am worried about losing my phone or it getting stolen.. Is there another way to get this coverage but not pay Verizon's exorbitant fees + deductible?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.