Yet another external drive question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 320GB HD, 4GB Ram, OSX 10.6.7
I've had my MacBook Pro since June and I'm ready to buy an external drive and start backing stuff up. Been reading a lot of reviews on different brands and the reviews are just all over the map. After reading a MacWorld review of a G-Technology drive I started checking into those. Funny thing I've noticed is how different the review scores are between say a 1TB drive and a 2TB drive. A 2TB G-Drive is pricey but the reviews are great. On the other hand I've read so many bad reviews of other drives I would gladly spend the money not to have those problems.

So anyway I was hoping to gain some insight from those who have knowledge and experience in this area. Thank you in advance for your input.

Reaction score
It's really difficult to say. We use a lot of external drives for our home business. It's difficult for me to trust reviews, to be honest. Today we had a bit of a disappointing experience with a new LaCie Stark 2TB drive. It came in this morning, FedEx dropped it off. We plugged it in and started transferring some files, it was literally (and shockingly...) dead, completely, 2 hours after delivery, 10 minutes after it powered on. LaCie is sending us a replacement free of charge since it was basically DOA. But it had excellent reviews. (and our other LaCie drives are great!!!)

My personal external drive (not for our business) is a WD My Book 1TB. My wife has a 2TB version for her stuff. Mine had terrible reviews overall, on the site I got it from, but at the time it was what I could afford and I needed something right away. It's our longest living external. It's never had a problem to date. (Oh, my wife just reminded me we have a Seagate that is a bit older, but it's too small to use :p ) But my point is, it's really hard to tell from reviews and word of mouth, because they can get amazing reviews (The dead LaCie we got today had amazing reviews where we ordered it from.) or terrible reviews (like our My Book that seems to be wanting to live forever), and your experience can be the opposite, or the same.

Personally, we use Western Digital for our personal, day to day family life stuff. For our home business, we use LaCie mostly. I've had pretty good luck with both, except the drive we got today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Our shop has had a failure with almost every brand out there but the longest lasting one
so far has been a WD World Book the second longest one is an old Maxtor so you could get a good one or a bad one hard drives all fail at some point especially the ones used
everyday all day long in a business atmosphere. The Lacie d2 I use at home is 5yrs old
but got bad reviews so go figure its a flip of the coin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Just received a 500gb external from OWC...5400rpm by Hitachi in acrylic case...it's only a few days old but so far..impressed with the quality,quietness,performance. OWC has a great rep. with excellent service and packaging...maybe a little pricey...Their drives are preformatted for Mac and the setup is idiot proof.

E

EightmanVT

Just received a 500gb external from OWC...5400rpm by Hitachi in acrylic case...it's only a few days old but so far..impressed with the quality,quietness,performance. OWC has a great rep. with excellent service and packaging...maybe a little pricey...Their drives are preformatted for Mac and the setup is idiot proof.

Glad to hear this. I ordered a 2TB drive (7200rpm) from them yesterday - should be here on Monday. :)

Reaction score
Check out this recent thread here on MacForums:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/228516-external-drive.html

In short, it's hard to recommend a Western Digital, Seagate, Iomega, or LaCie drive right now. They've all put out some serious clunkers recently.

I've been recommending external hard drives from Other World Computing:
OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro FireWire 800/400, eSATA + USB2 external Solutions up to 2.0TB - Plug & Play Quad Interface

Their drives have premium Hitachi internal mechanisms, highly regarded Oxford Semi bridge chips, and they have very competitive prices.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1 For the OWC Mercury line. This is also what I generally recommend.

OP
TrueTone911
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for all the great input. I'm new to this forum but have already found the responses to come from a genuine desire to share information and experiences.

Thank you Randy for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience. You are very helpful and make me feel welcome.

Reaction score
What are the Xtra Ports on External Drive for?

I have a G-Drive 500GB for my 13 MBP. I also have a FW hub. I connected the External HD directlyo the the laptop and the hub to the remaining FW port. However, the drive isnt recognized when I connect the hub.

What;s the 2nd port for?

Thanks,
F

OP
TrueTone911
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What;s the 2nd port for?

Thanks,
F

I purchased the G-Drive 500GB for my MBP 13" as well and I had the same question. Is it to daisy chain multiple drives together?

Reaction score
I have a G-Drive 500GB for my 13 MBP. I also have a FW hub. I connected the External HD directlyo the the laptop and the hub to the remaining FW port. However, the drive isnt recognized when I connect the hub.

What;s the 2nd port for?

The extra Firewire port is for daisychaining Firewire devices. Theoretically you can daisychain a large number of Firewire devices, but in practice I've found that it is unwise to daisychain more than two hard drives together.

There is also some controversy over using Firewire hubs. In practice, sometimes Firewire hubs work with no apparent issues, other times users report having big problems.

I asked an expert about this, the developer of SoftRAID (as he deals with external Firewire issues all the time) and he said that originally Firewire was never supposed to be used in a star configuration (i.e. with a hub). Most of the references that allude to this have been removed from the Internet, but he said that when he has tested Firewire hubs and analyzed what was going on, it was not a good situation. (I have no citations for this, so FWIW. I can post his e-mail to me if anyone feels that they need to see it.)

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.