PDA

View Full Version : Alienware Laptop Needs to lose some weight

macjuicy23
02-10-2011, 09:46 PM
ok no worries to my mac family Im still 100% pro mac.... but Im a gamer and was just tired of switching platforms on my macs, so I decided to buy a laptop strictly for gaming ... i went with the new Alienware M17 fully loaded laptop with all the bells and whitsles... i have to say its such a cool looking computer, really love the attention to detail, from the purple illuminated keys to the pulsating alien logo... my only complaints are that this sucker weighs a ton, not only does it way a ton but i had to purchase the alienware backpack becuase i dont think any other case fits this beast... I wonder why they made it so big and bulky considering that mac makes a super powered laptop that weighs practically nothing..... had to give my two cents good thing is im building biceps lugging this monster around lol

MacDude121
02-10-2011, 11:15 PM
I don't know much about Alienware laptops, but I hear their supposedly the "Top of the line gaming PC's" Maybe the extra weight is mostly from extra graphics hardware, but they probably could stand to lose some weight. :| I googled a pic, and that laptop is pretty bulky.

CrimsonRequiem
02-11-2011, 12:15 AM
From the battery(ies) too.

macjuicy23
02-11-2011, 12:21 AM

Ahh that explains alot of weight never even noticed it has more than one battery...

CrimsonRequiem
02-11-2011, 12:57 AM
Ahh that explains alot of weight never even noticed it has more than one battery...

There is a price to be paid when you game on a notebook/laptop. Since it's very power hungry.

Audio.Trench
02-11-2011, 01:39 AM
You have to keep in mind, Alienware computers are designed to be a desktop-replacement, especially a 17" laptop. These laptops have high-end/high-power consumption components, which are powered by large batteries (as mentioned before).

I'd love to pick one of these up if I could afford it, but buying a complete desktop system with equal or better specs, is just a much more cost-effective solution for my needs.

However, having a light-weight laptop, with the power of my desktop would be a pretty sweet move.

Just my $0.02 :)

ZachUSAman
02-11-2011, 11:16 AM

yea, which is why gaming laptops are such a hassle... sure their portable, but honestly you start gaming and either you finish in half an hour, or you plug it in.

Village Idiot
02-11-2011, 11:53 AM
ok no worries to my mac family Im still 100% pro mac.... but Im a gamer and was just tired of switching platforms on my macs, so I decided to buy a laptop strictly for gaming ... i went with the new Alienware M17 fully loaded laptop with all the bells and whitsles... i have to say its such a cool looking computer, really love the attention to detail, from the purple illuminated keys to the pulsating alien logo... my only complaints are that this sucker weighs a ton, not only does it way a ton but i had to purchase the alienware backpack becuase i dont think any other case fits this beast... I wonder why they made it so big and bulky considering that mac makes a super powered laptop that weighs practically nothing..... had to give my two cents good thing is im building biceps lugging this monster around lol

The MBP is not superpower in comparison. The most you can get in an MBP is a 2.8ghz i7 and a Nvidia Geforce GT 330M with 512mb RAM. The Alienware can sport an Inter I7-940XM that boosts up to 3.33ghz and dual 1GB ATI cards. That's a power house that I wouldn't be afraid to use to do things like render video on. I can't say the same for the MBP.

the8thark
02-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Yes but the MBP is not a desktop replacement with like 30 minutes battery life. It actually can be used out and about. That's the different between the two. And yeah this difference makes them target different target audiences.

Village Idiot
02-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Yes but the MBP is not a desktop replacement with like 30 minutes battery life. It actually can be used out and about. That's the different between the two. And yeah this difference makes them target different target audiences.

No one claimed that the Alienware was portable, just that apple makes a laptop that's super powered. And yes, they are marketed to two different groups.

If you want to start an arguement, don't try and argue a point that wasn't brought up and that I agree with. Doesn't work that way.

iggibar
02-11-2011, 12:54 PM
I can't say the same for the MBP.

You can't say that for the MBP? Really? That's a little foolish, and negative!

Village Idiot
02-11-2011, 01:05 PM
You can't say that for the MBP? Really? That's a little foolish, and negative!

Why's it foolish to have an opinion based on experience that trying to render video on a notebook with either a 256mb or 512mb GPU is something that I wouldn't do.

It's not an Apple vs. PC thing at all, it's a performance thing. Would I do video rendering on a Mac Pro? Yes.

iggibar
02-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Stating an opinion is perfectly fine, but stating, "I wouldn't be afraid to use to do things like render video on. I can't say the same for the MBP," is a bit different. I render hd video on my mbp that isn't even as good as the one you mentioned, but you stated you would be afraid of rendering on it? Care to explain why you would be "afraid?"

Village Idiot
02-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Stating an opinion is perfectly fine, but stating, "I wouldn't be afraid to use to do things like render video on. I can't say the same for the MBP," is a bit different. I render hd video on my mbp that isn't even as good as the one you mentioned, but you stated you would be afraid of rendering on it? Care to explain why you would be "afraid?"

It's an expression. Because it's slow.

Soda
Pop
Cola
Coke

dbruns
02-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Probably the best selling point for the Macbooks is the light weight/ long battery life in comparison to the other computers out there

the8thark
02-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Soda
Pop
Cola
Coke
And some Australians call it a fizz or fizzy drink.

ZachUSAman
02-12-2011, 12:30 PM
whats the big deal with the weight.. i mean at most your looking at a 1-2 pound difference, do people honestly notice this anywhere besides on the specs page?

rippingviper
02-12-2011, 12:47 PM
As someone previously posted Alienware laptops like the one you got are desktop replacements. They also use desktop hardware not mobile hardware so that would also be why the added weight. They aren't really meant for you to lug around from place to place. Though I'm not gonna lie i'd like to have one to move around some too :)

CrimsonRequiem
02-12-2011, 12:51 PM
As someone previously posted Alienware laptops like the one you got are desktop replacements. They also use desktop hardware not mobile hardware so that would also be why the added weight. They aren't really meant for you to lug around from place to place. Though I'm not gonna lie i'd like to have one to move around some too :)

They are suppose to be used for LAN party. If those still exist. >_>"

cwa107
02-12-2011, 01:55 PM
whats the big deal with the weight.. i mean at most your looking at a 1-2 pound difference, do people honestly notice this anywhere besides on the specs page?

Try carrying a 25lb, fully laden laptop bag on your shoulder for a significant period of time and you'd be overjoyed to get something 7-10lbs lighter. When I switched my Inspiron 8200 out for a comparatively svelte Inspiron 700m, it was about a 7lb difference, which was huge in daily travel.

iggibar
02-12-2011, 03:01 PM

1-2 pound difference? Someone clearly hasn't used an Alienware laptop...
The "brick" power adapter itself weighs close to a macbook's weight. Not poking fun at them though, they are good for what they do.

Village Idiot
02-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Try carrying a 25lb, fully laden laptop bag on your shoulder for a significant period of time and you'd be overjoyed to get something 7-10lbs lighter. When I switched my Inspiron 8200 out for a comparatively svelte Inspiron 700m, it was about a 7lb difference, which was huge in daily travel.

I'm a photographer. I have used to lugging around 100lbs of equipment. :D

cwa107
02-13-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm a photographer. I have used to lugging around 100lbs of equipment. :D

Ah yes, but do you enjoy lugging around 100lbs of camera equipment? ;)

Mamajag
02-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Coming from an owner of an m17x, um, SLI video cards, two internal hard drives, and the honking power requirements? Yeah, it weighs a ton.

DH has the replacement for the brick they sent me (I fought for 7 months for it before switching to mac and got a new one 3 days after my iMac came in). He takes it to the offshore oil platform he works on but wishes it were trimmer. I told him he wanted a portable desktop…it's what he got.

Edit to change vid cards to hard drive...

Mamajag
02-13-2011, 08:39 PM
1-2 pound difference? Someone clearly hasn't used an Alienware laptop...
The "brick" power adapter itself weighs close to a macbook's weight. Not poking fun at them though, they are good for what they do.

This is so true! LOL When I first pulled the power adapter out of the box I almost fainted. Then I lifted the laptop itself….and did. ;)

In my defense, I didn't pick the laptop. It's what I got when I invoked the accident warranty on an Inspiron e1705. They said they were going for "same or higher" in a replacement in every stat. I didn't realize at the time they meant size and weight, too!

Village Idiot
02-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Ah yes, but do you enjoy lugging around 100lbs of camera equipment? ;)

Not always, but I do like the results.