file sharing b/t mac and pc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro5, 3 (2009) 2.66 GHz; iMac 21' 2010, Macbook Pro 13' 2010; iMac 20' 2010; MacMini 1T2011
I run several Mac and Pc computers in my office and I'm trying to set up a shared folder among them all. I have a Mac OS X (v.10.6), Windows 7, and Vista. I tried googling on how to do file sharing, but the many of the sites provide very confusing instructions (and some others are old articles based on older OS versions). So, how can I file share between a mac and a pc?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
well i suppose the most basic step would be to turn file sharing on on the mac under system preferences.

as for the shared folder my guess would be, to get a router and plug an external hard drive into its USB port (if it has one. make sure its formatted to FAT32 for inter compatibility.) dont hold me to any of this as my wifi connection has always been dodgy and as such have never experimented with these setups.

:)

Reaction score
So, how can I file share between a mac and a pc?

This Web site does an excellent job of taking you through it, step by step:

How Do I Network My Mac and PC? :: My First Mac - Help Buying and Getting Started with Your New Mac

Another option, which would be easier to setup and use, but which does not offer the same speed of transferring, is to get the Internet involved and use the free, cross-platform Dropbox application/service:
Dropbox - Home - Online backup, file sync, and sharing made easy.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.