PDA

View Full Version : Motorola Xoom advert found

the8thark
02-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Motorola Xoom advert found
Verizon locking WiFi on Motorola Xoom until you buy one month of data service? -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/06/verizon-locking-wifi-on-motorola-xoom-until-you-buy-one-month-of/)

"To activate WiFi functionality on this device, a minimum of one month data subscription is required."
Also it's sticker price is $799
Available in Verizon Feb 24
And uses Android 3.0 Honeycomb

Tech specs:
10.1 inch widescreen display
1 GB ram
Flash support
Desktop like tabbed browser
2MP front camera
5MP rear camera
720p video capture
1080p playback
3g upgradable to 4g LTE.

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/8281/motorolaxoombestbuy.jpg

iggibar
02-08-2011, 09:53 AM
I like how Verizon is nickel and diming people for the most money. WiFi should be FREE! That is absolutely ridiculous! As for the price, is that the starting price? That's expensive! I'd rather buy a mba refurb for 50 bucks more, or wait to see the new ipad or toshiba tablet.

technologist
02-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Yay! Adobe Flash support! Just what I always wanted!

XJ-linux
02-08-2011, 10:21 AM
The XDA Developers Forum folks will have the WiFi worked around within a week. Looks like quite a few spelling mistakes in the ad. Wonder if it's fake?

"Do it all lighting fast..."

"To activative WiFi functionality..."

Kash
02-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Some commenters on other sites have pointed out that the Wi-Fi could be referring to the hotspot functionality, which makes more sense since you do need a wireless plan for that.

Additionally, it was pointed out that with so many typos and odd sentence structure, this advert is most likely a fake, and thus any claims should be taken with a grain of salt.

iggibar
02-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Typos on BestBuy ads aren't anything new. I remember one case that will forever stick in my mind, when they misspelled Windows 7 as, "Wendows 7!" Makes you question where these ads were printed.

ThePope43
02-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Regardless.....when people come right down to their "nickles and dimes", the iPad is going to be a better buy every time IMO because of it's price. It already starts at $499 and with the iPad 2 coming out, if they keep iPad 1 in production, it will be even cheaper. Again, even if they don't, the iPad still starts at $300 cheaper than the Xoom!!!!