PDA

View Full Version : A curious attachment to an email

jmpk58
02-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Hi got an email from someone I don't know that replied to an ad I posted. I know that can open one up to all sorts of phishers.

Their email had no text, but it did have an attachment - a 6KB file with (i think) a microsoft Word file - The icon for the attachment is very similar looking to the TextEdit icon - it's a little page with a dog-eared corner (upper right) with a large small case "a" in light blue (sort of over some fake lines - like writing on the page) - and it has a blue rectangle on its upper left that says "DOC". under the file is a designation code "ux2bb16fz".

Out of curiosity, I clicked on it, expecting a download flag. My email scanned and said No Virus threat detected - When the MacBook downloads window popped up it said " "ux2bb16fz9019.doc.html" is an application" - so I cancelled the download.

Can anyone tell me if this is okay or not to download. My guess is that it's a non-mac page of text that the sender sent as a Word file instead of copying it into a regular email. I write a lot of emails in TextEdit then paste them to my email - but I have gotten Word type files before with no issue, except from people I know.

It's only 6KB. Any insight would be appreciated - pic attached

ClockworkWorld
02-06-2011, 06:05 PM
I don't know much about that sort of stuff. But as a general rule... My two cents are, never open anything from an unknown source. It's just safe internet use, if you ask me... I doubt much could be inside a .doc file, but like I said, as a general rule, if it's not from someone you know or trust, or not something you recognize, I would just get rid of it and move on... (my personal opinion, not necessarily from knowledge about that stuff. )

jmpk58
02-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Ha! Clockwork! You give whole new meaning to the term High-Speed.

Yes, a wise general rule - I typically follow it. Since it's a post to a music gear ad I put on the dreaded craigslist - my curiosity is piqued - but I know there are a lot of goofballs out there. Thanks for the prevailing wisdom. Googling about the kind of file it says it is, wasn't very helpful.

ClockworkWorld
02-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Haha :P

Well, I know you're trying to get some stuff done with that ad! So I understand the temptation. And chances are it's fine! :) I was by no means trying to spook you away from it! As far as I know .doc files are just text documents. I don't know that it's even possible for a threat to lurk inside of them. And if there is, it couldn't do anything to your mac, anyway! But it could possibly (so I have read, I am not certain and surely others will give their input) infect other computers in your network that are not Macs, if it was indeed malware of some type or another.

Like I said, I'm by no means knowledgable or any type of expert on those things, but I'd avoid it if you are not positive about it :) I guess there are not many adventures to be had playing it safe :P But I don't need any adventure in my life :P

ZachUSAman
02-09-2011, 04:16 AM
6kb? seems really small.. something code size.
Rule of thumb, if you see an unusual file, either run it in a sandbox or open it in a text editor.