restore external hard drive

Reaction score
I'm very new to the mac world and have a question. I believe my son erased all our pictures off our external hard drive. Is there any way to restore the hard drive and get my pictures back? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
Can you recall what he did? Did he just highlight all and hit delete...did he reformat the drive? More information will help us determine what you may or may not be able to do.

As harryb2448 stated, there are a number or recovery utilities but they can be pricey. It might be best to try one that offers a free trial to see what you can do. If it is something of the utmost importance, there are data recovery companies you can send the drive to and they will be able to get a lot more than any computer software would be able to do. One example of a good company would be here: Hard Drive Recovery RAID Data Recovery Company Free Evaluation

OP
B
Reaction score
Bare with me here this is coming from an explanation from him. I don't know what he did! He didn't open up the mounted external hard drive and delete them from there this I know. From his explanation he thinks he deleted them from the "all images". Went to application folder on the dock then to open in folder and all images highlighted all the images and deleted them. He thought they wouldn't delete off the external just off the mac itself. Thats all the info I know! Any help would be great!

I wondered if I could restore the mac back to a couple days before like you can on a pc? Like I said I'm really new to mac and still don't know my way around it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thread moved to correct forum. Does not belong in "Images........"

Unless you were making backups of your hard drive with Time Machine or some other backup software, you can not restore anything without using expensive recovery software. And the chances of recovery software working is slim if you used the computer after he deleted them.

Even if you were using Windows, you couldn't restore photos that were deleted because the Windows System Restore function does not backup documents, photos, data, etc.

If you wish, you can try to recover them with Data Rescue 3. You can download a trial version to see if it will work for you. If it does, buy a license. ($99.00)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.