Trouble with harddisk space - running Win7 on iMac

Reaction score
Hey

I can usually fix most of my problems by googling, but this time I have given up.
I am running Windows 7 on my iMac and when I installed Windows, I was asked how I wanted to split the harddrive space (I don't know the correct term for this, but I mean how much memory I wanted on the Windows part of the computer and how much on the Mac). I chose most space on the Mac part, but now I have regretted, as my Windows harddrive is already full.
How can I change this?
I'm not much of a computer expert, but I can usually work my way around things, if I have a guide or a general idea, but now I have no idea.

I appreciate any help!

Pern

(English is not my first language, I hope I have made my problem clear, otherwise please feel free to ask)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
as far as im aware, you cant change partition sizes on the fly. you would have to back up your windows partition, then reinstall via bootcamp, setting a larger partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm surprised you were unable to find a solution with Google. I found 3 methods by Googling "How to change windows bootcamp partition size". Anyways, there's plenty out there (even YouTube videos). Most suggest cloning your Windows OS to an external drive with an app called Winclone. Then delete your bootcamp and re-partition, this time making it larger (or smaller if that applies), and bring Windows back over from the clone on the external. Others include using apps like Unix Tools and iPartition.
I've never tried any of these, so USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Probably not a good idea to use WinClone. The application is no longer being developed although there is still a user forum which is active. The app has a tendency to corrupt the boot sector which can be troublesome.

I recommend buying "CampTune" from Paragon software. It's good software and can increase or decrease the Boot Camp partition without losing data.

Reaction score
Plus 1 for CampTune. It's the best dynamic partition resizing tool out there for Boot Camp. But even so, be sure and back everything up before doing so.

Also, like any other drive, there may be files you can store better on an external drive, such as images and videos, that tend to max out your space quickly. Low tech but also works fine.

Cheers

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm surprised you were unable to find a solution with Google. I found 3 methods by Googling "How to change windows bootcamp partition size".

It's simple that I did not know to google for that. I've googled a millions things, but I'm not familiar with the term "partition size", though it now makes total sense to me. (The whole not-so-computer-smart combined with not having English as my first language)

To all of you, thank you very much, I will try it and let you know if it work :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.