PDA

View Full Version : Finally a good use for spam

the8thark
02-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Suicide bomber blown up prematurely by spam text
Suicide bomber blown up prematurely by spam text | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/the-other-side/suicide-bomber-blown-up-prematurely-by-spam-text/story-e6frfhk6-1225997799793)

A "BLACK Widow" suicide bomber who planned to detonate explosives in central Moscow was killed when a spam text message from her mobile-phone company set off the device early.

TattooedMac
02-02-2011, 04:20 PM
*Finally a good use for spam*

8thark, im not going not agree with you on this one. Yes it was good that it got the bomber, BUT what if she had been on her way through densely populated area or even just sitting where there where lost of people.
It would have been devastating to say the least.
So all in all it got her, but it could have been so much more gruesome if they had not have been in the safe house . . . .

SB's might think twice about using phones in the future ??? Thats the only good thing i can see that came about due to spam

Cheers

the8thark
02-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Yes maybe maybe as you say which is not very good at all. But what if the bomber for to plant the bomb exactly where they wanted to. That'd be almost guaranteed death and destruction.

I see your point. But is the risk worth it compared to the bomber completing her mission fully?

TattooedMac
02-02-2011, 09:35 PM
But is the risk worth it compared to the bomber completing her mission fully?

And what risk are we talking about ???

Yea it is sort of a *double edged sword* scenario isnt it ??

I can see your point as well, but in my thinking, the fact that the device wasnt in the intended [lace at the time of the explosion, means she still had to place it. Us common folk and even the Authorities on these things would have no idea on where it was meant to go off.

There are so many variables to this particular scenario, but in the end its good she cant reign down terror anymore. Sadly there is probably another 2 to take her place :(

the8thark
02-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Risk as in is stopping her earlier this way going to save more lives then letting her complete the mission with it? A question I don't think we know the answer to.

And to the rest of your post I agree 100%.

Silverado
02-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Spam is a disgusting, yet alluringly tasty sandwich filler.

Doug b
02-02-2011, 11:57 PM
I thought about the scenario for a whole 20 seconds (the time it took me to read your posts) and came to the conclusion that I'm with Tatoo'd here. My first reaction was the same as yours, The8thark, however... let's say that the suicide bomber decided that it just wasn't in her to go through with the plan. Apply that to any suicide bomber's mentality now. So she/he may have wanted to change their minds, but freeking spam from the stupid phone company winds up making that person go through with it, after all. Not cool.

I always call customer service and explicitly tell them to make sure I never get any promotional texts or spam from their company. They always comply and are courteous and polite about it. If I ever do get spam as such, I log the time(s). After a while, I call back and let them know (though they already have our first conversation logged, as I tell them to make sure all of it is in the computer notes) that the spam is bordering on harassment. If it escalates further, they know that I have enough in my arsenal for some form of compensation, and they don't really want that, so it works. At least, that's how it has gone for me, after my one poor experience with such a thing.

I'll let the company name slide (it's not my current one). Anyway, I'm glad that worthless piece of garbage is no longer a threat, but of course it won't matter. She is now a martyr to all the other brainless trash out there.

Doug

iggibar
02-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Regardless of what happened, or how it happened, a planned attack got stopped. That's what people should be focusing on, and for that, I agree completely with, "Finally a good use for spam." You can spin this to your liking, but what happened, has happened.

ZachUSAman
02-09-2011, 04:09 AM
heh... I hope the message was something ironic.