PDA

View Full Version : The Winter Blizzard of '11

iWhat
02-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Looks like this blizzard is going to be one to remember. What are you doing to prepare for the blizzard? Are you going to be inconvenienced for the next few days? Do you have any plans to keep you entertained during the blizzard?

The Midwest Blizzard, From Space (http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/storm-takes-aim.html)
Big winter storm slams US Midwest, heads northeast | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/01/idINIndia-54572920110201)
The Blizzard of ’11 has begun (http://www.suntimes.com/news/3601097-418/illinois-tuesday-snow-university-wednesday.html)
Winter Storm: Monster Snowstorm Causes Travel Problems, More Than 6,300 Flights Cancelled - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/US/winters-fury-monster-snowstorm-hits-midwest-northeast/story?id=12808710)
Monster winter storm begins path across United States - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-naw-winter-weather-20110202,0,2691727.story)

wavinwayne
02-01-2011, 05:09 PM
...What are you doing to prepare for the blizzard?...

Living in Alabama. :Cool:

JohnCL
02-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Crazy here in Kansas City. Plenty of snow on the ground and a ton more to come. Cars are all sleeping in the garage and I have no place to be. Movies, food and liquor are all on the menu at one time or another. :D

XJ-linux
02-01-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm doing nothing. S&P is a hobby of mine. We're good for 6 months off the grid, civil unrest, whatever.

Here's a good link to get started "Prepping"...

Emergency Food and Water Supplies (http://www.endtimesreport.com/Emergency_Food_and_Water_Supplies.html)

Chris H.
02-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Arctic chill here in Portales, NM. Hit a low of 4 last night, wind chills were much colder than that. We're expecting more snow tonight through Wednesday morning.

MYmacROX
02-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Well, temperatures in the Sonoran desert have dropped into the 60's this week so I'll have to start wearing long sleeves or a sweatshirt when I go out. ;)

harryb2448
02-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Send it down under - +105 today here.

cwa107
02-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Freezing rain here and a bit of snow. Sounds like it's going to be a nuisance, but not enough of an event to close work :(

Chris H.
02-01-2011, 07:15 PM
ENMU (where I go to college) closed at 5 this afternoon after opening at 10. Tomorrow looks like a closure. It's snowing, windy and 9*F. BRRR

toMACsh
02-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Schools are closed tomorrow. First time I can remember knowing that the night before. With a teacher in the house, I'd remember. Not bad yet. Will be buried in snow tomorrow.

McYukon
02-01-2011, 08:11 PM
*insert slightly amused expression over all the fuss about a measly 2 feet of snow*

chscag
02-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Looks like this blizzard is going to be one to remember. What are you doing to prepare for the blizzard? Are you going to be inconvenienced for the next few days? Do you have any plans to keep you entertained during the blizzard?

Around here in the Dallas - Fort Worth area any ice or snow is a big deal. The roads become a haven for playing "Destruction Derby" (for those of you old enough to remember that show on TV). Great business for tow truck owners though.... :)

Me, I'm staying right here next to my trusty Mac until the stuff melts off. Since we run our own business and my wife's the boss, she gave me permission to take time off. ;P

Kash
02-01-2011, 08:42 PM
I saw a satellite image that showed the entire US covered in clouds, with one exception, a clear spot over Southern California. Man do I love living here, bright and sunny, zero clouds, and a mild 70 degrees :)

XJ-linux
02-01-2011, 08:52 PM
*insert slightly amused expression over all the fuss about a measly 2 feet of snow*

No kidding. We started with a foot of snow on November 13th and have only gotten more since then. We're at about 2 feet right now and people are out riding bikes and walking dogs. It's 10 right now (warm actually) with -20 wind chill and there are at least 30 trucks out back fishing on the lake. Typical winter in the Northern US. Nothing is closed, cancelled or otherwise restrained.

vansmith
02-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Parts of the province are expected to get 40cm of snow by mid-afternoon tomorrow. I seem to be too far out for the storm living in an area expected to get only about 15cm of snow. So, no need to prepare here. ;)

CrimsonRequiem
02-01-2011, 11:43 PM
While I do miss living back east at the same time I'm glad I'm not there right now. >_<" I don't want to imagine the driving conditions, as they are pretty bad here already. I like the cold actually. Wouldn't mind if it was 10ºF here, I'm sure the local wildlife would die though. >_<"

iWhat
02-01-2011, 11:46 PM
So I looked out the front door and thought how cool it would be to take a stroll around the neighborhood in the blizzard. Then the snow truck came speeding down the street and sent a tsunami wave of snow reaching all the way to our front porch. So maybe that wouldn't be such a good idea.

CrimsonRequiem
02-01-2011, 11:50 PM
So I looked out the front door and thought how cool it would be to take a stroll around the neighborhood in the blizzard. Then the snow truck came speeding down the street and sent a tsunami wave of snow reaching all the way to our front porch. So maybe that wouldn't be such a good idea.

LOL, I did that on a rainy day once and got soaked. Not the same as getting hit by a tsunami of snow but still it was pretty shocking.

Audio.Trench
02-01-2011, 11:59 PM
yeah dude.. They started saying 10cm.. Then 15.. Then "don't be surprised" if we hit 30.. Checking out the radar maps on weather.ca, and going by the pattern of the giant precipitation cloud, it'll be hitting my area shortly..

I'm just really hoping I can get to work tomorrow.. I cannot afford to miss the time.. With the way the news have been talking about it, it's going to be bad. Some schools and businesses here have already "pre-cancelled" everything.

Maybe if I'm lucky, the our client will follow suit and close all the stores in the city down, as well as the contact center.. One can only hope, heh..

MacDude121
02-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Got about 3 inches of freezing rain/snow this evening in Maine, due to get anywhere from 1.5 - 2 feet tomorrow. (On top of the 2.5 feet that we already have on the ground) School was actually canceled the night before instead of 5:00 AM tomorrow morning, never seen that happen before. Either way, not looking forward to shoveling tomorrow. :Grimmace:

ThePope43
02-02-2011, 01:52 AM
I live in northwest Ohio and we've gotten a TON of ice and snow so far with more to follow...

RavingMac
02-02-2011, 09:17 AM
All we got was a few hours of cold rain (it was 78 deg F here on Saturday). For the more northerly inclined, you have my sympathy.

SweetCosmicPope
02-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Here in Houston (actually I live just outside of Houston) I woke up and it was 19 degrees. That is a huge deal, because it rarely breaks into the 20s. I think this may be the first time in my 27 years that it's broken into the teens.

Saying tomorrow afternoon through Friday morning we might get snow. Another big deal, as it very rarely snows here. We did get a little bit a couple of times the last few years. Before that, it was about 15 years since the last snowfall.

I tell you, I wish I still lived in Crystal Beach, just east of Galveston. I lived with my grandparents, who had a house on a canal, with a boat house and dock. When we had a good freeze there in 1990 (the aforementioned snow of 15 years before), my dad and gramps got in the boat and creeped through the frozen water, scooping up dead frozen fish, and filled up our freezer.

Chris H.
02-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Bottomed out at −5 where I'm at…snow is rather fine and powdery. Wind chills are ridiculous.

vansmith
02-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Found this (http://www.theweathernetwork.com/alerts/wwcaon0012a/caon0512/weather?ref=warnings_citypage) when reading about the winter storm warning:
The major storm which was born in Texas late Monday is tracking northeast across Western New York this morning accompanied by a shield of wintery precipitation.So we can blame the Texans then? :P

chscag
02-02-2011, 01:08 PM
So we can blame the Texans then?

Someone get a rope! :P

iggibar
02-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Live in Rocky River, neighbor city to Cleveland, and I have to say, I'm glad CSU was closed today, but am extremely disappointed with the news reports of this "blizzard" and all the snow that it was suppose to dump on us. We cleaned the driveway last night, and to this second, there isn't even 2 inches of snow. When I hear warnings on news channels that say this is going to be the worst winter storm in a decade or so, I want there to be a ton of snow outside! I want to be able to walk into it(like when I lived in NY,NY:) I guess they guessed the ice part right for this area, though.

Yellow_glide
02-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Don't blame the Texans - :) - High in Austin today was mid 20s with a wind chill that is just below 0, rolling brown / blackouts, tonight is supposed to be back in the teens. Coldest temps in Austin since 1990. Friday expecting 1 to 3 inches of snow.

I will never complain about 105 in the summer again.

toMACsh
02-02-2011, 09:02 PM
19 inches of snow here, mild temps (not for Texans)

Wasn't bad, just stayed home, cleared the driveway for tomorrow. We're good to go.

nicecrew
02-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Have we seen the last of the snow or will there be any more storms? NE specifically. I would enjoy another day off school. :)
nicecrew

alexsd123
02-03-2011, 02:20 AM
I saw a satellite image that showed the entire US covered in clouds, with one exception, a clear spot over Southern California. Man do I love living here, bright and sunny, zero clouds, and a mild 70 degrees :)
What is this snow they speak of? :)

decoman
02-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Ended up with about 20 inches of snow and bottomed out at -15F this morning made it to about 15F in the afternoon.

Heading into the low 30's this weekend not sure it will melt much there awesome big piles of snow out there! I think they'll be here till March.

G4 ibookboy
02-03-2011, 09:17 PM
we got between 20 and 30 inches of snow in chicago illinois, cars stranded all over and the day after most streets are still a nightmare had 5-7' drifts in my backyard