• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I've had it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
That's it! I'm done!

With my Quad G5 PPC that is. It's been degrading for the last year or so and this week when I booted it up after it being shut down for 7 or 8 days (I was out of town) I noticed the CPU A temp was upwards of 170F at idle. I've had the CPUs scaled back for well over a year now since the machine would shut itself down otherwise. Surfing the web and using MetaX proved to much and the machine shut itself down at 210F. I took it apart, blew about a pound of dust out of it with my air compressor, cleaned it, replaced the MB battery and reassembled it. When it booted, CPU A was running at 180F right off the bat and it wouldn't pull an IP address from my Airport via either Ethernet or Wireless. The machine refuses to boot from a disc so I can't even run the hardware diagnostics test anymore. Done. Reading the Apple forums and searching the web it looks like it's not worth the money to fix since it's an old architecture and has passed it's prime. Ah well, 7 years wasn't bad for that machine I guess.

So, looks like I'll be getting a MacMini as a temp replacement with perhaps an i3 or i5 27 inch iMac to follow shortly after. Once my wife finishes school and starts working again later in the year I'll look at getting a MacPro to replace the G5 as my main desktop machine. At least I'll be able to run the newest software again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
Sometimes it's just nice to rant and get it all out there isn't it?

When I get mad at computer-related stuff all of my friends/family(all completely non-techies) just look at me like 0.o

So internet is a place I often like to rant as well; where people actually understand what I'm talking about.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
7 years is a pretty good run. I've had a custom Windows PC that my dad built for me when I was 12 and had it for almost 12 years until the power supply overheated and then exploded. >_>"

That's when I decided that I needed a new computer and that's how I got my first Mac. I still build gaming rigs on the side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well baggss it has been coming for a while now. Better get the wife out working sooner rather than later!

Reaction score
That's it! I'm done!

With my Quad G5 PPC that is. It's been degrading for the last year or so and this week when I booted it up after it being shut down for 7 or 8 days (I was out of town) I noticed the CPU A temp was upwards of 170F at idle. I've had the CPUs scaled back for well over a year now since the machine would shut itself down otherwise. Surfing the web and using MetaX proved to much and the machine shut itself down at 210F. I took it apart, blew about a pound of dust out of it with my air compressor, cleaned it, replaced the MB battery and reassembled it. When it booted, CPU A was running at 180F right off the bat and it wouldn't pull an IP address from my Airport via either Ethernet or Wireless. The machine refuses to boot from a disc so I can't even run the hardware diagnostics test anymore.!

Maybe your CPU just needs a little thermal grease? Also, I'd make sure the heatsink is secured properly. It's happened to me before. Try unplugging and re-connecting the IDE and power cables to your disc drive. Does it at least try to read but give up? You might also manually set the CD-ROM as your startup disc in the System Preferences.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That's it! I'm done!

I understand that you're probably not necessarily looking for solutions. So FWIW (other than a thermal grease issue [already mentioned])...and knowing that the quad PM G5 had a liquid cooling system...maybe something is malfunctioning with it:

- slight leak/low level (due to slow evaporation of the liquid)
- clogged
- malfunctioning part/pump that circulates the fluid
- etc.

Maybe you don't want to fix it anyway...gives you a valid reason to upgrade!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You got it Nick.

baggss reported some six to eight months ago about the liquid coolant leaks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It actually appears I never had any coolant leaks that I can find. That doesn't mean there wasn't a small leak and coolant evaporated though. The issue is really only with CPU A overheating, CPU B seems fine.

As for taking it apart and checking the heat sink and the grease, great ideas except it's a liquid cooled machine and all of that plumbing sits atop the CPUs. Taking the plumbing apart is the problem as getting parts etc makes it more difficult, hence why it's not worth the effort to take it apart. You can find used pumps and parts but what am I getting in return? A 7 year old machine that is only getting older? There is a point of diminishing returns somewhere and I think it lies there.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...hence why it's not worth the effort to take it apart. You can find used pumps and parts but what am I getting in return? A 7 year old machine that is only getting older? There is a point of diminishing returns somewhere and I think it lies there.

Sounds like a good candidate for e-Bay or Craig's List as a parts computer.;)

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yeah, 7 years is a pretty good run - particularly for a machine with a liquid cooling system. I know it's a sealed unit, but I'd imagine the fluid has a finite service life, much like the coolant in your car.

Anyway, sorry to hear you're having trouble with it. The nice thing is that you really can't go wrong with a Mac Mini. Even if it's only temporary, the form factor gives you a lot of versatility once finances permit buying a bigger machine. You can turn it into a media server, make it a dedicated media center, or even attach some storage to it and it'd make a very nice NAS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
So, looks like I'll be getting a MacMini as a temp replacement with perhaps an i3 or i5 27 inch iMac to follow shortly after. Once my wife finishes school and starts working again later in the year I'll look at getting a MacPro to replace the G5 as my main desktop machine. At least I'll be able to run the newest software again!

You might find the Mac Mini surprisingly quick - even my 2009 version is still pretty zippy. The only real down side is the 5400rpm HDD... now if you could stretch for the 7200 or even an SSD, it will probably make your old G5 look last decade.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might find the Mac Mini surprisingly quick - even my 2009 version is still pretty zippy. The only real down side is the 5400rpm HDD... now if you could stretch for the 7200 or even an SSD, it will probably make your old G5 look last decade.

That's true. My Macbook makes the G5 seem old, then again having the CPUs throttled back didn't help.

I figure once I get either an iMac or a MacPro I'll turn the mini into the media center hub and stream all content to the ATVs from there vice our individual machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
That's true. My Macbook makes the G5 seem old, then again having the CPUs throttled back didn't help.

I figure once I get either an iMac or a MacPro I'll turn the mini into the media center hub and stream all content to the ATVs from there vice our individual machines.

I just got an i7 MBP... the speed is staggering, makes my Phenom II windows desktop look like something made in the Soviet Union. I wouldn't normally say this about incremental speed bumps, but the i7 is worth it over the i3/i5. It just 'feels' a lot faster. The SSD helps a lot.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just had the Quad running. Still wouldn't pull an IP from anywhere. It ran for 15 min, the fans at full blast, CPUs between 65 and 95%. After 15 min it hit ~209F and shut itself down. I have no idea why the CPUs were running that hot, there were no Apps open, just the finder. Nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I just had the Quad running. Still wouldn't pull an IP from anywhere. It ran for 15 min, the fans at full blast, CPUs between 65 and 95%. After 15 min it hit ~209F and shut itself down. I have no idea why the CPUs were running that hot, there were no Apps open, just the finder. Nice.

I guess the liquid cooling system has quit altogether. Still, that PowerMac is getting hot enough to fry an egg. :|

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess the liquid cooling system has quit altogether. Still, that PowerMac is getting hot enough to fry an egg. :|

Well, only CPU A was that hot. CPU B was running at about 109F so it's obvious where the issue really is here.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, to conclude this saga, or add to it for now. I'll be getting a 21 inch Core i3 iMac in the next few weeks. Placed the order today. Getting it through a hotel points program (just like I did my Plasma HD TV) so no cost to me.

I'll probably see it in 3 or 4 weeks but for free you can't beat it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Well, to conclude this saga, or add to it for now. I'll be getting a 21 inch Core i3 iMac in the next few weeks. Placed the order today. Getting it through a hotel points program (just like I did my Plasma HD TV) so no cost to me.

WooHoo

Congrats baggss :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Sweet! Can't beat that deal. Sounds like a nice machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.