Turn of 3G while in EDGE area?

Reaction score
Should I turn off 3G in an area where I know there is no 3G coverage to save battery power? Does the iphone 4 use more power checking for a 3g signal? How often does it check? Should I just leave it on and forget about it? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Sp
I think you should take a look at this page. Lots of ways to save and conserve battery power.
Turn off 3G (GSM model only): Using 3G cellular networks loads data faster, but may also decrease battery life, especially in areas with limited 3G coverage. To disable 3G, from the Home screen choose Settings > General > Network and set Enable 3G to Off. You will still be able to make and receive calls and access cellular data networks via EDGE or GPRS where available.
Heres a link to the entire article:Apple - Batteries - iPhone
It gives you info on battery life.
Hope this helped! :)

Reaction score
YES!
When I go to NYC I switch to Edge... Stronger signals, no dropped calls, more reliable services. Yes data is slower, but in the end the ability to communicate out-weighs the speed loss.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.