• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Training for AppleCare Genius

Reaction score
Hello all! Long Time no see! Of late, I'm interested in getting self-paced training to be a certified computer repair tech eventually (I have a 2 PC repair books on order including CompTIA A+ - as I intend to service both PC's as well as macs)
and I found 2 books that I'm thinking of getting from Amazon.con Apple Training Series books - the 2nd edition and the 3rd edition, but I don't know if by the time I'm ready to take the certif exams (after studying for the PC cert, getting the experience in like say, 1 - 3 years) if it'll be worth it to get both the 2nd edition and the 3rd editions of these 2 books or just get the 3rd edition only as the older macs may have become obsolete by that time?

Amazon.com: Apple Training Series: Desktop and Portable Systems (2nd Edition) (9780321335463): Peachpit Press: Books

and

Amazon.com: Apple Training Series: Desktop and Portable Systems (3rd Edition) (9780321455017): Marc Asturias, Moira Gagen: Books

Thanks in advance

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Also consider that "Training for Applecare Genius" is more than just "book smarts".

Apple is pretty big on an employees "persona, values, and people skills" as much (or more) as having the necessary technical skills. So that's something you really cannot study for...you either got it, or you don't.;)

Just something else to think about,:)

- Nick

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
Also consider that "Training for Applecare Genius" is more than just "book smarts".

Apple is pretty big on an employees "persona, values, and people skills" as much (or more) as having the necessary technical skills. So that's something you really cannot study for...you either got it, or you don't.;)

Just something else to think about,:)

- Nick

I understand this. Also, I intend to go into business and run the business from my own home. These people and technical skills is also, I understand, is needed for the PC side of it, too.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand this. Also, I intend to go into business and run the business from my own home. These people and technical skills is also, I understand, is needed for the PC side of it, too.

Maybe I misunderstood your initial post. I thought maybe you were preparing to be an "Apple Genius"...and your goal was to work in an Apple Store. But it sounds like you want to open your own business.

- Nick

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
Maybe I misunderstood your initial post. I thought maybe you were preparing to be an "Apple Genius"...and your goal was to work in an Apple Store. But it sounds like you want to open your own business.

Correct - I want to open my own business and run it from home.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Correct - I want to open my own business and run it from home.

Can you be an "Applecare Genius" and not work in an Apple Store?;)

- Nick

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
Can you be an "Applecare Genius" and not work in an Apple Store?;)

- Nick

Sure, why not? Just as with the PC side of the business, I can ask people to bring their macs to my home, (they can drop them off - there'll be a bit of a waiting period until I call them to come and pick them up, just as with a PC repair shop) where I can service them in my office.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure, why not? Just as with the PC side of the business, I can ask people to bring their macs to my home, (they can drop them off - there'll be a bit of a waiting period until I call them to come and pick them up, just as with a PC repair shop) where I can service them in my office.

What I'm saying is...can you ethically call yourself an "Applecare Genius" and not work in an Apple Store?

Sure when you have your own business you can be an "Authorized Applecare Repair Facility" or an "Authorized Applecare Repair Person". I just thinking that the "Genius" part of the title is an Apple Store thing.

I not saying I know the answer...I'm just asking.:)

- Nick

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
What I'm saying is...can you ethically call yourself an "Applecare Genius" and not work in an Apple Store?

Sure when you have your own business you can be an "Authorized Applecare Repair Facility" or an "Authorized Applecare Repair Person". I just thinking that the "Genius" part of the title is an Apple Store thing.

I not saying I know the answer...I'm just asking.:)

- Nick

Or you may call me an "Authorized Applecare Geek" or an Authorized Applecare Gech (computer geek + tech combined words)," perhaps?

So, which edition of these 2 books (linked to in my first post) should I get - edition 2 or 3, or both?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 3GS & iPhone4 Factory Unlocked.
You are not going to learn from the books what you will learn from hands on training. Open up a Mac system, open it apart Ab learn from it. As software side goes google software problems etc etc.

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
You are not going to learn from the books what you will learn from hands on training. Open up a Mac system, open it apart Ab learn from it. As software side goes google software problems etc etc.

I understand this. I intend to acquire some old mac systems to practice on (just as I'm currently practicing on doing the hands-on training with PC's). I could ask my friends if they have any old macs that they can let me have, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 3GS & iPhone4 Factory Unlocked.
Absolutely, I used to work as a technician part time and I got that job from my experience and learned 3 times more with hands on work.

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
Absolutely, I used to work as a technician part time and I got that job from my experience and learned 3 times more with hands on work.

Also, I just found a neat website called iFixit which has step-by-step instructions for disassembling almost any model of mac, I can print the guides out for each model that I get, and I can use this for the time being (until I'm finished with getting my CompTIA A+ certification for the PC side) and then I can order these Apple Training Series books that I linked to in my original post, right?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, I just found a neat website called iFixit which has step-by-step instructions for disassembling almost any model of mac,

Yes...iFixit is a very informative & helpful site. We recommend folks use it whenever they need some help with a DIY repair.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Personally if I was you I'd contact Apple about your idea. Simply cause you'd need the Apple authorised repairer tag. And to get that you need to do a few Apple certs. And they can be pretty pricy. So just give them a call and they'll be able to tell you which Apple certs you need and the legalities about starting up this kind of business.

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
Personally if I was you I'd contact Apple about your idea. Simply cause you'd need the Apple authorised repairer tag. And to get that you need to do a few Apple certs. And they can be pretty pricy. So just give them a call and they'll be able to tell you which Apple certs you need and the legalities about starting up this kind of business.

Ok - but can it wait until I'm a bit established with the PC side of this business (while getting mac systems from my friends/using the iFixit guides, plus the Apple Training Series books that I linked to in the meantime) and have a bit of a good reputation/money-wise first?

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
Found this about how to become a certified Apple tech jut now -

How to Become an Apple Certified Technician | eHow.com

but I'd rather not take the 2 - 5 day training course (for personal reasons), I'd rather take the self-paced home training course (order book(s)) and train by working on any macs that I may get from my friend and by studying at home, and just register to take the tests when I feel I'm ready - is this possible and allowed?

EDIT - found this also -

http://training.apple.com/howtolearn

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
So far, I've received this book

appletrainingseriesOSXtiger.jpg

to start training on Tiger.

According to this from Apple's website. http://training.apple.com/howtolearn

Read books.
The Apple Training Series and Apple Pro Training Series books from Peachpit Press constitute a key part of Apple’s official curriculum, covering Mac OS X, Pro Applications, iLife, and iWork. These guides walk students through real world exercises and projects. Save 30% on both series using coupon code PP-APL-DISC.

One of my friends' daughter has an iBook G4 running Tiger, and that's one of the reasons that I want to start my training on Tiger so, in the future if she has any problems with the OS, I'll be equipped to fix it for her.

Also, AFAIK I'm getting an imac G3 tomorrow and I have a imac G3 disassembly guide that is illustrated with color photos (it even has the screws/parts that I'll have to take out highlighted) to do my hands-on training with sitting on my desktop that I'm going to synch to my ipad. it's in pdf format. The imac I'm getting is running Tiger.

Any comments, please?

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
Ok - but can it wait until I'm a bit established with the PC side of this business (while getting mac systems from my friends/using the iFixit guides, plus the Apple Training Series books that I linked to in the meantime) and have a bit of a good reputation/money-wise first?

Er, let me clarify this, please - the good reputation I was taking about here was strictly business. As in "a good computer tech, they know what they're doing" kind of thing.

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
Yes, I still have that imac G3 with Tiger on it that I got a year ago. Still have the Tiger books.

Just wanted to tell you folks that I just picked up another Apple Training Series: Mac OS X support essentials for 10.5 - Leopard book for 26 ¢, plus S & H.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.