Iomega 2TB home media network drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac powermac6.1 G4 OS 10.4.11
Hi All

Please can anyone supply/experiences/info good or bad for this product.
Iomega 2TB home media centre network drive.
I need to conside a variety of Macs ( with varying OS ) and PC win 7.
The review for Mac users on this page,
Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive (1TB) Review - ComputerShopper.com
is particualrly ****ing, suggesting the software needs workarounds for macs which does not sound good/ mac friendly

Any comments / advice greatly appreciated.

thanks

Sandy Mac

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi All

please can I assure anyone reading this thread that I have not used an expletive even though the website seems to have censured a word.

thanks

Sandy Mac

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Louishen

thanks for the reply.
Agreed, the review from macworld does seem good but I note that in comments on this article there is also a question about the products reliability.
I have been researching a wider range of NAS manufacturers after the concerns expressed in the computershopper comment 'horrid for macs'. I'm currently reading lots of good things about Qnap. They seem more expensive than the level of NAS that the Iomega sits within but I have been quite impressed.
Qnap TS-210 with 2 bays and fitting max 2tb drives would offer substantially more including options for RAID.
I will continue to research and update on decision / experiences.

thanks

Sandy Mac

Reaction score
Hi All

Please can anyone supply/experiences/info good or bad for this product.
Iomega 2TB home media centre network drive.

More reviews here:
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Iomega Home Media 2 TB Network Attached Storage 34571

About half of the 238 reviewers didn't like this drive. Not a good average.

Of even more concern is the number of Mac users who reported that this drive simply didn't work with their Macintosh:
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Iomega Home Media 2 TB Network Attached Storage 34571

There was a discussion about Iomega drives on another Mac discussion list that I am on. A few folks said that Iomega tech support had told them that Iomega didn't support using their drives as startup drives for Macs. (Not that they wouldn't work as startup drives, just that the company didn't support doing so. So, if your drive doesn't work with your Mac, you are SOL.)

I found this very hard to believe, so I phoned Iomega tech support and asked. I was stunned as the gentleman on the phone explained that Iomega drives aren't for use as startup drives with Macs.

I recommend going with a brand that is known for more reliability and better support for Mac users.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I recommend going with a brand that is known for more reliability and better support for Mac users.

I know this doesn't help the op, but:

I've been recommending not purchasing Iomega anything for almost 10 years when there is any other option.

The 50% bad reviews have been typical for practically all of their electronics I have looked at for a long time.

Them being the leader in inexpensive tape backup drives during the late 90s has expired.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks to both Randy and Bob for their input.

regards

Sandy Mac

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi All

I have not yet managed to organise the purchase of a NAS but I am now certainly looking to buy a QNAP version TS 210 with 2x 2TB drives. I am currently trying to reseach the best drives to put in. Looking on the QNAP forum gives some advice on certain drives compatibility but is not exhaustive.
Meanwhile, a member of my family has purchased a TS 210 with 2x2TB pre-installed by the seller to run with his Mac network. These are Samsung drives. I do not know the exact specs but I will post details of his experience. He is going to use the NAS for music streaming connecting to a Linn DS setup with twonkymedia.
Lastly it may be more appropriate if this thread could be re-named as connected to the QNAP TS 210. The Iomega NAS is now a distant memory thanks to the earlier contributors who were very helpful. I do not know if this is possible but any advice on this from a site administrator or anyone else will be most gratefully received.

thanks for your time.

regards

Sandy Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
I highly recommend a Qnap or Synology Nas over most anything else They offer more features and faster transfer speeds.

I own a qnap ts-209 the last time I rebooted it was over a year ago. and that was due to a power outage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.