Using Preview to crop images

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Time and time again I read about all the things that Preview can do but I've just discovered that you can use it to crop images!

OK, there was a post on this back in 2008, but I never even thought of searching - I've been going into iPhoto or PS Elements to crop photos without giving it a thought.

It's such a time saver I thought it worthy of this post to share my 'new discovery'!

(For those yet to use this feature, simply mark out the area to be cropped with the mouse and select Crop under Tools menu option)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Also in Preview you can select the area to be cropped, command+C, command+N, and it makes a new image cropped to your specifications. Some people might prefer to have the original and the cropped side-by-side for whatever reasons.
I love having options. :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
It is really amazing all that this "free" program can do.

I use the crop feature in conjunction with iBooks and Calibre all the time. Most of the free (public domain) books available for download have plain vanilla covers. With Preview it is easy to dress up my library.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.