• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Craiglist becoming robbery by Appointment

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the heads up.:)

What it boils down to is...if someone's got the "balls" to do it...almost anything is possible!:(

You could have a garage sale or a yard sale at your home...and something similar could happen.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Thanks for the heads up.:)

What it boils down to is...if someone's got the "balls" to do it...almost anything is possible!:(

You could have a garage sale or a yard sale at your home...and something similar could happen.

- Nick

True... however, it'd be less-likely at a garage sale since there is usually a constant flow of "traffic".

I've probably conducted 6 Craigslist transactions at my home in the last 2 yrs and it makes nervous every time. I've been home alone every time except for one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True... however, it'd be less-likely at a garage sale since there is usually a constant flow of "traffic".

Possible...but it depends on the yard sale & the location of the yard sale. A busy street with a constant flow of traffic would be safer...but a home located on a quite neighborhood street...at the end of a "cul-de-sac" (which is a street like I live on) receives much much less traffic (yard sale customers or other neighbors entering or exiting their homes).

I've seen some very busy yard/garage sales...and others that get very little traffic. I've been to many a yard/garage sale where I was the only customer there.

A second possibility could be...a "bad person" could sit in their car a short distance from a yard/garage sale...wait until no other customers are present...and then do whatever "bad thing" they have planned...which could only take 15-30 seconds.

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Every problem tends also to be an opportunity. Seems like some enterprising individual could set up what amount to "safe houses" for these types of transactions and charge a flat fee or percentage of sale.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I like the suggestion given in the article: "Meet the potential buyer at your local police station". ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I like the suggestion given in the article: "Meet the potential buyer at your local police station". ;)

HAHA brilliant isnt it. Would certainly weed out the not so friendly lol

People are becoming to complacent. I have never once not met in public. My safety and that of the premises where my son sleeps at night is my biggest priority. Im not a judgemental person, but you just DONT know who you are dealing with. You cant judge a book by its cover, so the public eye it will always be for me . . . . . .

Mind you, buying things, the amount of time i have gone to a home address and been through peoples homes is amazing. From 1 visit you can see the interior, find out there security and if its worth breaking into. . . . .

We are making it too easy for them

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Beyond the usual steps when dealing with strangers and cash: bring backup, be armed, be early, prep the target... If you are operating on a level playing field, you haven't been properly trained. Personally, I've been favoring meeting at hospital emergency room entrances. There are usually plenty of cameras, and medical help is within crawling/yelling distance. Cop shops are nice, but 90% of the time (other than shift change) there are only dispatchers and desk jobbers there and limited medical assistance. Criminals generally operate on opportunity, means and motive. The one you have the most control over is opportunity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I buy and sell quite a bit on CL.
Meeting in a public place, being armed, and awareness of my surroundings has seemingly worked for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
And actually one guy I know - got his bike stolen. Dude asked for a test ride - went around a corner and disappeared.

No offense intended… but how did he not see that coming?? lol

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I personally like to think people are kind and goodnatured. Too bad that doesn't always pan out.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I personally like to think people are kind and goodnatured. Too bad that doesn't always pan out.

"Hope for the best...be prepared for the worst!";)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

I wasn't there. I'm sure he didn't lay down ground rules (like you have to stay within my sight) as he is good natured. It sounds like the guy that robbed him was experienced so my guess is he started off just rolling around, made a turn and by the time the guy that got robbed thought about it - well the robber was on a bike so either he took off on the bike or he had a friend in a car waiting for him. Even if you made that rule, can you case after someone on a bike (especially if someone is waiting with a car?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Seriously? Meet in a well lit public place with lots of people and bring a friend. I've been selling a lot of items that are $500-$2000 on Craigslist lately. Most of them are larger or fragile things like a motorcycle, motorcycle parts, an all tube guitar amp, guitars, a macbook pro, a high end road bike, etc...Things that would cost a ton to ship and/or insure. I've never had one incident because I meet in public places, bring friends, and just keep a level head about things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
This story makes me question all the stupid places I've done with my CL transactions...the last being with my G5, which was in the back of some ghetto "art" building's parking lot, which was in a part of town I never knew even existed. Luckily, I saw the person before telling him I was there. Telling someone to meet at the police station sounds like a great plan...too bad my place has a HUGE police station.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
I conduct all CL transactions in my back yard... and have NEVER had any problems!

hottub.jpg

But seriously...

This is what people see when they pull up in our driveway --

3dogs.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Beautiful little ones. What breed(s) are they?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Thank you! They are all (mostly) Siberians. There are also three more puppies in the house... a Malamute, a Rough Collie and a Catahoula Leopard dog... all 6 have been rescued from shelters.

Sorry for the mini-hijack! Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I like the hot-tub one. get a scuba tank and hide out under...or even a snorkel...and surprise the crap out of them when the deal goes awry. Nice dogs!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.