ping 100% packet loss

H

hank1

From the Mac I get a 0% packet loss when pinging my wifes PC. Pinging my PC I get a 100% packet loss.

I'm not familiar with these terms but it doesn't look good.

All three computers have the same workgroup name.

Trying to set up a LAN, so of course my PC is not being seen.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

OP
B

badmojo

If the PC's are firewalled with MS Firewall and/or Zone Alarm etc. that would probably happen. Try to disable them and do it again.

OP
H

hank1

I forgot to mention that the PCs firewalls are off. Norton anti-virus might have a firewall, although I've looked and don't see it. The PCs don't have a zone alarm that I know of.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What does your network look like? Three systems and a router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
There seems to be too many folks trying to answer too many vague questions.

I would like to request that you (hank1) post the IP's of all of the machines involved as well as the network hardware components used to create the network. Also the type of internet connection, version of the operating systems and exactly (as best you can) describe your goal.

I'm sure with more accurate information, we here at mac-forums will be able to help.

OP
H

hank1

IPs 192.168.1.100 (My PC)
192.168.1.102 (Linda's PC)
192.168.1.103 (the Mac)

Modem: Fujitsu, DSL from Verizon

Router: Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL with 4 port switch.

PCs: Windows XP
Mac: OS X, Version 10.4 on a Power Mac G5

Sorry. Hope this helps.

Robert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the info.

I assume that all three machines get the internet just fine.

do the two xp machines have service pack 2 installed? You mentioned that you thought the windows firewall was turned off. Is this something you did in the windows security control panel? Is the norton product that is installed anti virus or internet security. Internet security asks you to turn off windows firewall monitoring when you install it and uses its own.

Try turning on personal web sharing on the mac. Then in the pc go to the address http://192.168.1.103 in internet explorer and see if you get an apache web page. personal firewalls shouldn't block http traffic. they will block icmp traffic however. if you get the apache page from the windows machine there is probably a software firewall running. if it is internet security try disabling it from the task tray.

OP
H

hank1

All 3 are online.

SP2 installed on the XPs

No apache page.

I turned of the Personal Firewall in Internet Security and can now ping .100 from the Mac.

Is this not dangerous to have no firewall on at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That all depends,...

Do you want to share files with the Mac?

You can turn the firewall off for 10 min intervals to allow file access then turn them on if you like.

I guess I should have read your post more clearly. It seems all you want to do is ping. So now you know,...have a ball.

OP
H

hank1

I want to share files with the Mac, yes. But it's almost exclusively image files, where I can pick them up from each others' desktops.

"All I want to do is ping"? I could care less about that. I hardly know what it means, but to see that I could finally ping the PC was a joy because it showed some progress to the ultimate solution.

All I want is to send image files, and some text files, back and forth between the machines. I've got Photoshop on both, and Painter on the Mac. Just want to get the work I do on the Mac over to the PC where I post the images wherever it's appropriate to the context of whichever site it belongs. I can't post from the Mac yet because it will require a new application I'm not ready to pay out the money for.

(I've got PhotoshopCS on the Mac and Photoshop 7.0.1 on the PC.)

:eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would suggest that you don't share "Desktops" but rather just use a folder at the root os C: Something like C:\Photoshop Shares. You may also just as easily use a folder in you Mac users home folder. Perhaps ~/Photoshop Share.

Regardless you'll need to enable sharing. If the Mac hosts the share turn on sharing in the sys pref sharing tab by enabling windows sharing. This makes your home directory accessible to windows using your mac username and password. If you browse to My Network Places > Computers Near Me > Mac's Name > (when you double click it you'll need to enter the username and pass) You'll see the mac users name as a share. You might need to enter the authentication as,...

macname\username
password

you should then be able to browse your photoshop share.

I suggest this type of sharing because if you try to copy files from the mac to the pc it will fail since the mac cannot write to an ntfs partition, which is what XP is. Use the pc to pull files over vs pushing them from the mac.

To make it even easier going forward. On the windows side you can right click the mac share and select map network drive. This will give you a drive letter in My Computer that will connect dirrectly to the share and retains the credentials so you don't need to go through the hassle every time of browsing to the share and authenticating.

OP
H

hank1

Got it! Thanks a lot.

You say
On the windows side you can right click the mac share and select map network drive.
No I can't. It offers no such option. Sounds great. Is there another way to achieve the same results?

Furthermore why is the icon for the Mac residing in My Network Places under "The Internet" and not "Local Network"? Does that matter? Will it cause trouble later?

OP
M

Merlinblack

hank1 said:
No I can't. It offers no such option. Sounds great. Is there another way to achieve the same results?

Furthermore why is the icon for the Mac residing in My Network Places under "The Internet" and not "Local Network"? Does that matter? Will it cause trouble later?

Another option is To get into windows Explorer (Right click Start Menu>explore) and then select Tools>Map Network Drive>Enter in the appropriate stuff (at home mine is: \\192.168.0.1**\shaunmcgregor)

Check "reconnect at logon" and if the mac is on when the PC is logged on it will reconnect

EDIT: The icon in Internet shouldn't cause trouble. The mac probably doesn't fit in the windows definition of being in a workgroup, therefore windows puts it outside of the workgroups which is technically "The Internet".

OP
H

hank1

Merlinblack said:
Another option is To get into windows Explorer (Right click Start Menu>explore) and then select Tools>Map Network Drive>Enter in the appropriate stuff (at home mine is: \\192.168.0.1**\shaunmcgregor)

Check "reconnect at logon" and if the mac is on when the PC is logged on it will reconnect

EDIT: The icon in Internet shouldn't cause trouble. The mac probably doesn't fit in the windows definition of being in a workgroup, therefore windows puts it outside of the workgroups which is technically "The Internet".

I had tried this with no lasting success. But you get me there in a shortcut. Just tried it again, and so far, so good.

Thanks.

OP
M

Merlinblack

hank1 said:
But you get me there in a shortcut.
Thanks.

?? not sure I understand that sentence, but I hope it stays working for you, and you're welcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If you want to put your mac in the windows workgroup, open up utilities and select Directory Access. Then select SMB/CFIS and hit configure.

There you can enter a new Workgroup. Enter the appropriate Workgroup that your other computers use.

I'm not sure if you really need to do this, but I mention it because it's tough to find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you join the Workgroup as Aptmunich pointed out you should be able to do a right click on the mac share in Network Places and select map network drive. I don't beleive it will work using the Internet icon. It may only be showing up there because you turned on personal web sharing to do a previous test.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.