iPhone Back Up File Conversion

Reaction score
Basically what happened is that I accidentally overwrote my 3 most recent iTunes back ups of my iPhone 4. I actually had done a Time Machine back up 2 days earlier. After realizing this, I went into the Time Machine back up files and found the iPhone back up I need. The file (library/application support/mobilebackup) has about 3,000 files inside of it. The name is just a bunch of random characters. How can I take this file and make it usable in iTunes to back up my iPhone?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
... How can I take this file and make it usable in iTunes to back up my iPhone?

Don't know what you mean. That old backup has nothing to do with doing another backup of your iPhone. It would only be used to restore your iPhone to that backup.

In any case:

Enter Time Machine
highlight the file you want
click on the Restore button at the bottom

Time Machine will put the file back in it's original location

OP
Z
Reaction score
I guess I forgot to mention that the backup I did on Time Machine failed. I had to "show package contents" of the .inprogress file that was on my external hard drie and search for the iPhone backup files.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Don't know what you mean. That old backup has nothing to do with doing another backup of your iPhone. It would only be used to restore your iPhone to that backup.

Sorry, I meant restore my iPhone, not back it up. It is basically blank right now. And if I try to restore it from a backup on iTunes, the most recent working one is from October of '09.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Library / Application Support / Mobilesync / Backup

If those particular folders were backed up completely, should be a simple matter of drag and drop them from the backup into the same location on your drive and they should work. If they were not backed up and/or the folder/files in question are corrupted, you're not going to get them back.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Ok, I copied the backup file I need into the current backup files and it looks like it might have worked. I sent my iPhone in for blacktie protection replacement because the screen cracked, but I will try to restore it when the new phone comes in.

Thank you for your help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.