Package installer that asks for licence key

Reaction score
I have a number of small OSX apps for academic/student geologists I'd like to distribute. None of them are particularly sophisticated and whilst I will allow some to be downloaded for free, others I hope will command a small fee of a few £ Now at this level it really isn't worth my while implementing a sophisticated licence/activation model that would probably cost me more money that I would recoup from selling the apps. I am therefore looking for a simpler way of implementing at least a low level of software security by asking for a licence key when a package is installed. I realise this isn't going to stop a determined hacker, and that keys will undoubtedly be shared, particularly within the student community, but it will at least provide some security and also give my software an air of professionalism!

I'm not sure if this sort of thing is possible on a Mac, but I'm sure I've had to do it with some of the software I've purchased. I've played with the PackageMaker application and read the online user guide, and also have a couple of simple apps for generating dmg files (e.g. DropDMG), but none of these seem to have the facility to insist the user enters a licence key.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions they will be gratefully accepted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
What about a password protected zip file .... not bulletproof but it might meet your requirements.

Cheers ... McBie

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.