iTunes Data Transferring

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a new MacBook Pro and I am getting a new iPhone soon, which will replace my old iPod touch (which my parents lost about half a year ago). Before using my new MacBook, I used my parents computer, which has all of my iTunes music and data on there. I have two questions.

1. If I backup my iTunes library on the PC to a few disks, will this backup everything on iTunes, or will it just backup media? I am looking to transfer all of my iPod touch backups so I don't have to use my parents PC anymore.

2. If I get an iPhone and connect it to iTunes, will I be able to set it up via my old iPod touch backups, or are they useless?

If the answer to the above questions are no, then could you please provide me with alternative methods to set up my iPhone and iTunes?

Thankyou!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you want to take everything across to your Mac you're best taking the whole iTunes folder:
1. On the source machine, in iTunes: File -> Library -> Organize Library. Check Consolidate Files, then click OK. This makes sure all you madia etc is in the iTunes folder structure.
2. Copy the iTunes folder to an external drive if you have one. Alternatively connected your new Macbook and source machine to the same netwotk with cables
3. Copy the iTunes folder onto your Mac

For info: This webpage details the location of the iTunes folder on all versions of Windows and OSX

As for you iPod Touch backups . . . I'd start from scratch with your iPhone to be honest. It's ease enough to tick a few apps and playlists to get it setup like your iPod

OP
A
Reaction score
So, if I replace the iTunes media folder (on my Mac) with the one from Windows, will iTunes on my Mac be the exact (or close to exact) same as my iTunes on Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 3.06 i3 4gb, MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 i5 4gb, iPad2 32GB 3G black, iPhone 4S 16GB black
I am looking to do this transfer shortly.

Silly question, but how do I import the files from the external hard drive?

I have heard that iPods for PC's are formatted differently. Do I have to reformat my iPod to work with the Mac?

Pete

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
yeah, just restore it through itunes on a mac and it will re-format it to mac.

to import to a new itunes... drag the itunes media folder from the external hard drive onto the itunes window and it will import automatically.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, if I replace the iTunes media folder (on my Mac) with the one from Windows, will iTunes on my Mac be the exact (or close to exact) same as my iTunes on Windows?

no. you need to import the music you want in so that itunes makes the connections. if you do that, it wont show up in itunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Sorry but that isn't the case. Bringing the XML files across (contained in that folder) has all the library information within it. No Importing required.

You'd only need to Import if you weren't carrying over the library information

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it seems i dont have an itunes media folder anyway, something funny is going on.... maybe thats why it never worked for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
media folder?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.