Protective Coating iPhone 4 antennas?

Reaction score
I've been doing research and obsessing about the antenna issue and I know its stupid and a waste of time but does anybody here know if apple ever did start putting a protective coating that helps correct the signal problem? I have a week 40 and I use an otterbox so I don't notice any problem myself but I'm still curious if this issue was ever fixed in any way shape or form besides them offering the free bumpers till sept 30th.

I also live in a city with pretty good reception and I used field test mode and did the death grip with my wifes phone which is also an week 40 and couldn't really get the signal to drop at all. I'm just wondering if all the rumors were true about them putting a coating on it or what really ever happened if anything?!

Thanks in advance! Sorry if I'm in the wrong area!:Cool:

Reaction score
I don't know if they ever put a coating on it, but I got one of those clear protective coatings put on the back, front, and sides, and didn't notice much of a difference. The bumper alleviated all of my problems and I haven't taken it out of it since.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, and as you have discovered by your own testing, the whole thing was way overblown.

Obsessing??? About an issue which you can't even reproduce on the 2 iPhones you already own. Sorry, but that's a lot of nonsense. If yours work to your satisfaction, why is it that you even care what someone else says?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.