Yell at me for not searching: G5/PC Network Connection

H

hank1

Oh I have no problem setting up a new network place on the PC and then am able to see the Mac and communicate with it. But only until one of the machines is shut down or restarted. Then I can't get back to the Mac. I don't have "permission" etc.

Idealy, I need only a connection to see both computers' desktops.

It seems so simple, and is as I mentioned about the PC.

But the Mac is a different story. I've tried everything I've read about how to connect to a PC, and each method fails.

What's the Mac looking for from the PC, and where do I find it on the PC? Is the server a name (e.g., the name of my PC) or a number? I used to know how find my PC's IP address, but have forgotten. Is the Mac wanting my PC's IP address? It looks like it's reqesting two things, but what are they and where on the PC do I find them?

Here are a couple of trials I've exercized to reach the PC from the Mac:

Code:
smb://192.168.1.103/North
North being the location name.

Code:
smb://182.168.1.103/Chuck
Chuck being PC's computer name.

I simply cannot reach my PC from my Mac. :blind:

So start yelling. Please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You need to right click on the folder you are trying to share and make sure that it is set to be shared. By default no windows folders are shared so the Mac can't see anything when you search. Once you have the sharing active you can just go to smb://192.168..1.103

no need to put in the extra stuff

OP
H

hank1

trpnmonkey41 said:
You need to right click on the folder you are trying to share and make sure that it is set to be shared. By default no windows folders are shared so the Mac can't see anything when you search. Once you have the sharing active you can just go to smb://192.168..1.103

no need to put in the extra stuff

Thanks for the speedy reply. However, I really only need to share desktops. I have folders there where I put things (ex. an image from Photoshop on the Mac) that I used to easily pick up to the PC when my Mac was an eMac. I thought it would be easier with the G5.

How would I share my PC's desktop? I already have checked sharing my PC's hard drive. Hmm. I'm sorry if I'm making something simple so hard. Could it be I'm using the wrong numbers in the 192.168.1.103? I forget how to find that out on the PC.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
i dont think that winblows will let you share your desktop like you want to so just make a folder in the root of c: and share that folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
If you are using Windows XP Pro make sure that the account you are trying to connect has a password, also make sure that the Windows firewall is turned off.

By default you cannot connect to a windows share as a user with no password. You will not be able to connect if the firewall is on as well.

OP
H

hank1

It's just Windows XP, not Pro. And I don't know my ip address. Used to know how to find it, but lost the thought. It's 192.168.1.100 or 101 or 102 or 103.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
to get your ip address on the xp machine, go to start->run->type in cmd and hit enter. when the dos window opens type ipconfig

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you just want to share the desktop go in Windows Explorer to C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USERNAME\Desktop

Right click and turn on Sharing for that folder

OP
H

hank1

Here's an interesting discovery.

I just found folders with the same number and same named files in two locations. One of the locations is MSHOME, the basic workgroup file for networking. The other is on the Local disk(C:). It would seem there shouldn't be redundant files like this as it might confuse the G5 as to which one to connect to?

In any case I cannot delete anything from MSHOME:
Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use

I hesitate deleting these from Local disk(C:) if I even could. But shouldn't these redundant files be dealt with for the sake of not confusing the Mac? If so, how?

OP
H

hank1

Almost there. Got connected to the PC from the Mac.

Now to get the Mac connected to the PC.

The Add Network Place Wizard on the PC tells me:

The folder you entered does not appear to be valid. Please try another.

This is what I offer the wizard:

smb://192.168.1.103

What else could the wizard be asking for? And where do I find it? I've seen something on the Mac somwhere where it says windows computers can access your Mac thus:....................

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think your slashes are backwards

OP
H

hank1

Why thank you. I hadn't noticed. I guess I'm a Private 1st Class now, and Marine Corps Green!. I'm honored.

Seriously, where on the G5 do I look for what Windows Networking Wizard is looking for?

OP
H

hank1

Here's what Windows XP Add Network Place Wizard is looking for:

\\server\share or

http://webserver/share

What I don't get is so simple it's got to be a stupid question, but so be it--I'm stupid.

What and where on the Mac is the "server" and the "share"

I'm pretty sure I don't require the second http option.

:rolleyes:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.